Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coyotes blocking access to the Footpath at night ?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is a new thing , was picking my girlfriend up from the Coach Station and when we got as far as the front of Coyotes, The bouncers had blocked off access to the footpath with Barriers (That coral people from Eyre Square direction into their premises) ? Forcing us on to the Road with our Heavy bags.
    Surely this isn't legal for one thing but just wondering if it's been going on long ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Complain to the Roads section stating that a commercial premises closed off a footpath without authorisation at such a time and place.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/

If you want to know if it is a 'new thing', call the commercial premises in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Complain to council planning / roads departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Just wondering if this is a new thing , was picking my girlfriend up from the Coach Station and when we got as far as the front of Coyotes The bouncers had blocked off access to the footpath with Barriers (That coral people from Eyre Square direction into their premises) ? Forcing us on to the Road with our Heavy bags.
    Surely this isn't legal for one thing but just wondering if it's been going on long ?

"Trip" over one of them.They are illegal.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

repsol wrote: »
    "Trip" over one of them.They are illegal.;)

Well I'll see you there tonight so, I'll need a witness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You had me going there for a minute!
    I was about to don my coonskin hat and grab my night sights until I read through it.

The last time I got caught like that was when one of the local papers ran a headline: Hitler starts row in pub
    It turned out to be a tiff between two old inebriated codgers arguing about the finer points of the Second World War.

• Advertisement

You had me going there for a minute!
    I was about to don my coonskin hat and grab my night sights until I read through it.

The last time I got caught like that was when one of the local papers ran a headline: Hitler starts row in pub
    It turned out to be a tiff between two old inebriated codgers arguing about the finer points of the Second World War.

Lol I try my Best :D
    I've emailed Galway City Council to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

let us know the outcome.

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email which I have forwarded to Marcus Keane, Community Warden Supervisor.

Quick reply from them to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email which I have forwarded to Marcus Keane, Community Warden Supervisor.

I'm still waiting back on a response from Mr Keane since the middle of last year!

You should complain Time

Dealing with written and electronic correspondence
    We will endeavour to acknowledge within five working days all written and electronic correspondence and indicate the timeframe for issuing an interim/final reply.
    A contact name, number and reference number will be provided with all correspondence http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/CorporateServices/Publications/FileEnglish,1065,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes it is illegal (AFAIK).

Not it is not new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I'm no fan of Coyotes in general as it's a bit of a dive, but stepping off the footpath onto the road for about 10 yards is hardly the worlds biggest inconvenience! "First World Problems" gets bandied about a lot, but here it is pretty appropriate. Having said that, I actually admire your energy to be able to complain about such triviality.

I'm no fan of Coyotes in general as it's a bit of a dive, but stepping off the footpath onto the road for about 10 yards is hardly the worlds biggest inconvenience! "First World Problems" gets bandied about a lot, but here it is pretty appropriate. Having said that, I actually admire your energy to be able to complain about such triviality.

So what if a drunk on his way home walks straight out onto the road to avoid the barriers and gets killed by a car ? Hardly Trivial ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

What about wheelchair users or those with sight impairments?

This is clearly a ploy to guide every passer-by into the named establishment :cool:

snubbleste wrote: »
    This is clearly a ploy to guide every passer-by into the named establishment :cool:

Actually I was trying to figure it out and I think it's a method for keeping the smoking customers off the road. But it then pushes pedestrians onto the road instead.

Smokers you say.. that's even worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Doesnt carbon do the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Meh, I reckon that's just a bog-standard automated reply. You could be waiting a while for a real reply I would say.

What about a family with young toddlers walking and a buggy (ies,)
    A wheelchair user,
    Physically-challenged people,
    Sight-impaired people.
    A large group walking along that stretch that have to go off the footpath un-necessarily.

It's far more of an in-convenience if they don't have permission to take up that space one yard or ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Okay, I am proven wrong. I now understand the huge importance of this issue....TO THE PENTAGON!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

lol so you'd rather they take the barriers away so you can try and navigate your suitcase past a massive queue of drunk people?

Just cross the road. Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Both sides of the road can be nuts, think the Púcan is the one spilling out a lot. Hard to cross the road with big cases at the best of time. I think tourists fare the worst though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

lol so you'd rather they take the barriers away so you can try and navigate your suitcase past a massive queue of drunk people?

massive queue going into coyotes? hardly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kevmorr

Just wondering if this is a new thing , was picking my girlfriend up from the Coach Station and when we got as far as the front of Coyotes, The bouncers had blocked off access to the footpath with Barriers (That coral people from Eyre Square direction into their premises) ? Forcing us on to the Road with our Heavy bags.
    All the nightclubs in Galway city put barriers out at elevan pm during the student week on instruction from the guards to have orderly and safe queues goin into the clubs.there are barriers outside karma,Bentley,carbon,club k,central park and coyotes.it really is not an inconvenience only for someone who likes to complain about nothing.i could also point out that the same thing happens in Athlon e,Sligo .letterkenny,limerick and indeed most student towns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

However usually speaking the barriers do not impede the entire footpath in every case except coyotes, they have a very narrow path to deal with though, i make no case except night time disabled access is hard outside coyotes. And yes, i have had to try avail of this at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Okay, I am proven wrong. I now understand the huge importance of this issue....TO THE PENTAGON!

Think they're talking Galway... if you want to take it to the Pentagon then best of luck to ye. Go off troll there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

That was from Customer Service, I'll bet. Very efficient, no clout.

Please let us know if/when you get a response from the responsible department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Remove both hazards, I say. Drunks don't own the city, and businesses don't own the footpaths.

I was out and about last night and I was stunned by the ridiculous speed of cars on Market Street and Dominick Street. Crossing the road in front of traffic is a hazard.

However usually speaking the barriers do not impede the entire footpath in every case except coyotes, they have a very narrow path to deal with though, i make no case except night time disabled access is hard outside coyotes. And yes, i have had to try avail of this at times.

Correct the reason I raised it is that Coyotes take over the entire footpath.
    Carbon run it along the middle of the footpath, so there is room for people to walk by.

• Advertisement

Kevmorr wrote: »
    All the nightclubs in Galway city put barriers out at elevan pm during the student week on instruction from the guards to have orderly and safe queues goin into the clubs.there are barriers outside karma,Bentley,carbon,club k,central park and coyotes.it really is not an inconvenience only for someone who likes to complain about nothing.i could also point out that the same thing happens in Athlon e,Sligo .letterkenny,limerick and indeed most student towns.

You joined up to make that post ? How's business down there :P

Advertisement