Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coyotes blocking access to the Footpath at night ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Time wrote: »
    I'm still waiting back on a response from Mr Keane since the middle of last year!

I can top that by a year!!! When you ring he's always just stepped out, and when you call to city hall to find him he's always on annual leave. Not a great man for answering correspondance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

However usually speaking the barriers do not impede the entire footpath in every case except coyotes, they have a very narrow path to deal with though

Same problem happens outside the nightclub that looks like a public toilet in Abbeygate St, too. Again a very narrow footpath.

Personally I'd always be on the other side, to avoid having to mingle with the drunken tr*** queueing to get into the meatworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fey! wrote: »
    I can top that by a year!!! When you ring he's always just stepped out, and when you call to city hall to find him he's always on annual leave. Not a great man for answering correspondance at all.

Exactly! I called up there before and apparently he was in a meeting, i refused to leave until i spoke to him. Surprise, surprise he was suddenly available and told me i'd hear back in a week or so. Still waiting a few months later. Maybe a complaint to HR and the county manager might help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

However usually speaking the barriers do not impede the entire footpath in every case except coyotes, they have a very narrow path to deal with though, i make no case except night time disabled access is hard outside coyotes. And yes, i have had to try avail of this at times.
    Disabled access to where? Just use the other side, or wait til the traffic (which is minimal, and slow at this time) clears and use the road briefly.

The entire world can't pander to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

You joined up to make that post ? How's business down there :P

Everything he said is completely valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Disabled access to where? Just use the other side, or wait til the traffic (which is minimal, and slow at this time) clears and use the road briefly.

Dont be such a prick. Assuming that the poster in question is in a wheelchair, lets take an example of him or her trying to get from the Fairgreen carpark to Eyre Square. It's a bloody wide road to get across to the St. Patricks church side with no pedestrian crossing going over directly.

Even if there were, no club nor it's pissed clientele should take precedence over a disabled person. it's a public walkway, not some private business's red carpet.

kraggy wrote: »
    Even if there were, no club nor it's pissed clientele should take precedence over a disabled person. it's a public walkway, not some private business's red carpet.
    Yes they should. Hundreds of customers at a Galway business do take precedence over one person wanting to use a few metres of one specific side of a pavement. I don't care if they're disabled or not because I don't discriminate like that.

Like I said, get rid of the barriers if you want. Good luck navigating your wheelchair through the large unruly queue of people that will still be there anyway.

Literally moaning because a Galway establishment has a lot of customers. What are you lot like... absolutely insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Maybe Coyotes could move the queue to the road. If it's good enough for the pedestrians.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Yes they should. Hundreds of customers at a Galway business do take precedence over one person wanting to use a few metres of one specific side of a pavement. I don't care if they're disabled or not because I don't discriminate like that.

Like I said, get rid of the barriers if you want. Good luck navigating your wheelchair through the large unruly queue of people that will still be there anyway.

Literally moaning because a Galway establishment has a lot of customers. What are you lot like... absolutely insufferable.

A very Irish attitude all round.

I spent some time in Melbourne last year, and I saw their various enforcement regimes at first hand. There was a popular local cafe I used to visit which had chairs and tables outside on the pavement, and I noticed that they were meticulous to the point of obsession with keeping things in order because if they were to obstruct the pavement the council would be down on them like a ton of bricks.

Same thing applied to safety provision for pedestrians around construction sites. All well-regulated and conscientiously implemented.

I once asked construction workers in Galway to stop blocking the footpath along a busy road where speeding is endemic. They just sneered and told me that nobody, including the City Council, was going to do anything about it because "there's too much money being made here".

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Maybe Coyotes could move the queue to the road. If it's good enough for the pedestrians.....
    Did you actually think you were making a good point here?
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A very Irish attitude all round.
    I presume you are referring to the "moan about absolutely f***ing anything" attitude on show in this thread. In fairness it's more a Boards thing than an Irish thing. Quick someone write a letter to the council!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I remember a few years ago Java's had a table on their front footpath and the council told them sharpish to remove it-the table didn't last for too long....i think that the path was narrowed to prevent a recurrence, as well.

daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

But they're not just blocking it from one, they're blocking it from everyone.
    And the business is inside - not on the pavement.
    Money talks I suppose, as in this town café tables (that you can walk past) get confiscated, but entire footpaths can be blocked by *some*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Unless Coyotes have a specific license to block this public footpath, then what they are doing is illegal.

They must be in compliance with S254 of the Planning and Development Act 2000.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/sec0254.html

OP I suggest you write to PLANNING CONTROL in the City Council and not a traffic warden. This is a Planning Control issue.

ETA: physical letter as opposed to email too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I presume you are referring to the "moan about absolutely f***ing anything" attitude on show in this thread. In fairness it's more a Boards thing than an Irish thing. Quick someone write a letter to the council!!

No, moaning about moaning is a Boards thing. :)

The Irish attitude I was referring to is the aggressive disregard for proper regulation and the rights of others.

All in the name of 'craic' of course, in this case. Let's not let anything get in the way of boozing, doing whatever we feel like and fumbling in the greasy till.

daithi1970 wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago Java's had a table on their front footpath and the council told them sharpish to remove it-the table didn't last for too long....i think that the path was narrowed to prevent a recurrence, as well.

daithi

As it happens I am all in favour of having tables outside cafes and restaurants. The weather mightn't be very conducive a lot of the time, but in my opinion outside tables add considerably to the attraction and liveliness of a place like Galway, which for its size is really well supplied with eateries of a high standard.

The win-win solution is to maximise the space available for pedestrians, most especially because they're the ones who will browse, linger and stop to spend some time (and a bit of their money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Any progress on this, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

So someone in a wheelchair comes along, and can't get past this barrier. How are they supposed to get around it? The kerb there doesn't have any ramps to get onto the road. So they're supposed to go all the way back to the junction at the new bus station and cross there and use the other footpath? Just so a nightclub can use the footpath for its customers???

I don't care if they're disabled

You've a very warped sense of right and wrong tbh...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO?!!?!

Ahh, no they don't.

And actually, it's not about people with disabilities, it's about breaking the law. The law says that a business cannot close off the footpath outside, end of discussion. If they want to provide queueing space, let them do it inside their own premises.

FWIW, at 11pm I'd be far more concerned about older tourists wandering back to the Park House than about wheelchair users. They're worth far more to the city than the kids who get loaded at home, put their underwear on (girls), and queue outside Coyotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Did you actually think you were making a good point here?

No I didn't, that was the point (which is on a par with any you've made tbh).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Bloody hell.. Disabled access was not my priority point - the complete blockage of the footpath was. Thankfully other posters on this thread have much better knowledge than me of various laws and were able to quote these.

• Advertisement

Since you've all tried to dodge the question I'll ask again. With the barriers removed what sort of scenario do you envisage? Better or worse?

Just moaning for the sake of moaning without considering the alternatives.

Why not just shut down the club, then we can have a nice queue outside the dole office for you to moan about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What i think they should try do is see if there is a viable alternative for a smoking area that conforms to regulations within the building like most other venues manage rather than sending customers into the street..

What i think they should try do is see if there is a viable alternative for a smoking area that conforms to regulations within the building like most other venues manage rather than sending customers into the street..
    This thread is complaining about the barriers erected to contain the queue that builds up for entry to the club, for the safety of those queuing and others. A queue that would be there whether or not a barrier was up.

Actually I was trying to figure it out and I think it's a method for keeping the smoking customers off the road. But it then pushes pedestrians onto the road instead.

The smokers congregate at the front of the premises, there are rarely queues as it is a pub/club and so doors are open early enough for that not to be a problem.

The smokers congregate at the front of the premises, there are rarely queues as it is a pub/club and so doors are open early enough for that not to be a problem.
    I won't insult you by assuming you're a regular, it's fairly clear you're not :)

Have you ever actually walked past though? There are frequently large, unruly queues outside til quite late on at night on account of them letting more people in, and later than other clubs.

The smokers "congregate" in the smoking area within the permanent railings. You are also not allowed to smoke out on the pavement and are ushered back inside by the bouncers. They're not even keen on people smoking in the short pathway that's off the pavement.

I used to frequent, i still go past after work some nights, they have that postage size spot for smoking which doesn't really cater for all the smokers. If that's a queue it's a mess!. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Any progress on this, OP?

Nothing back from the council but it's pretty depressing reading when people seem to think I'm complaining for the sake of complaining. The fact of the matter is it's a private business blocking access to a public footpath.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have a solution, sort of.

Move the queue/horde out onto the road, then once they start stopping vehicular access to eyre square the people who don't give a f00k about pedestrian access might suddenly decide it is a problem :P

Nothing back from the council but it's pretty depressing reading when people seem to think I'm complaining for the sake of complaining. The fact of the matter is it's a private business blocking access to a public footpath.
    Wow. You really aren't getting this. I'll say it again.

If the barriers are removed, the people will still be there.

Public people. On a public footpath. Still blocking you from whatever it is you have to do that's so important you can't just cross the road or walk around them.

They will still be there queuing.

I wonder if they were queuing for something other than a nightclub would the reaction be the same :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Since you've all tried to dodge the question I'll ask again. With the barriers removed what sort of scenario do you envisage? Better or worse?

Why not just shut down the club, then we can have a nice queue outside the dole office for you to moan about.

You are correct that without barriers it would definitely be worse.

However what they are doing is illegal, and that alone is enough reason for us to be "moaning" about it.

It's painfully obvious that the premises is not suitable as a "nightclub", because they cannot organize for the "customers" to queue in a way that is both safe and legal. So on that basis, yes, it should be closed until they can resolve that problem. TBH, I don't see it having much effect on the dole office queue - there aren't that many people working there. And it may have a positive effect on the queue at A&E and the STD clinics, too.

I've never been inside - but I shudder to think what the rest of their safety provisions are like. Anyone know where the fire exits go to?

Advertisement