Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17 Year Old Male Looking For Car Insurance

Options
  • 14-02-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everyone.
    I've turned 17 & I am determined to get driving as soon as.
    My mam has told me she would buy me a car & insurance for me.

I was looking at 1.4 CL Volkswagen Golf , In my own name.
    I've rang different insurers & it seems to be impossible to even get a quote off them?

I am on a Provisional/Lerner Permit. I've also rang 2 insurers to try take out a seperate policy with no claims discount in one of my parents names & add me as the main driver, I still can't get a quote.. It's strange cause many young people are getting insurance, but I don't know how.

Could anyone who WAS/IS 17 & has gotten insurance post What engine/car/ Named Driver or Own Policy/ How much it cost/ What insurer was it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Try a different car. A 17 year old on a learners permit in a Golf probably has alarm bells ringing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Can't remember which company they went with, but my friend recently got his own policy on a 1L Volkswagen Polo for something like 1500 which seems to be pretty cheap. I have other friends with 1.2's and 1.4L who are paying 3000+ for their first own policy. Can't see you getting insured for less than 3500 on a 1.4 golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,I think its an unwritten rule that a person starts off driving in a 1L car.Why in the heck do you want to start in any bigger.

Its not so much the fact that its a 1.4, more so that its a 1.4 Golf! There are other cars of that size that would most likely be a lot easier to insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ah, I'll just wheel out my 1st insurance again.... When I was 18, I paid 2283 tpft for a car worth about 400 max. It was a 1.2 3 door.

This might be your best bet if the car is being bought for you

4 grand

Full-14704708.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Get a Golf Van...
    1.9 tdi
    Cheap insurance/ tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Fair play lad,

ive been trying to get my 19 y.o brother to get off his hole and buy a car, young lads today just wanna get a lift everywhere, and get drunk.

I started driving at 17 on my mother corsa. What we did was, since the car was going to be used by her much, it kinda became my car.

She got insured on it and i was put down as a named driver. I dont get any no claims discount because of that but it worked out a world cheaper.

So if ye have one car in the family, or if your mother doesnt have a policy in her own name, get quotes for her on your vehicle with you as a named drive.

Id say a 1.4 would set you back a good bit. Theres no shame in driving a 1.0l corsa for a year or two! that's what i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

try brokers. there is lots of them around.

123.ie
    chill.ie
    arachas.ie
    aa.ie
    nononsense.ie

etc... google your best friend. (personaly i would advise try arachas )

first car should be with 1 liter engine .... micra, polo, clio , etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

I was driving a 116i BMW on my 17th birthday as a name driver on my mothers policy..Was with Quinn though- try Liberty Insurance OP

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I'm surprised at some if the comments, it's not like a 1.4 golf is a rocket! Seems like a perfectly normal car to start driving in to me.

• Advertisement

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I'm surprised at some if the comments, it's not like a 1.4 golf is a rocket! Seems like a perfectly normal car to start driving in to me.

A 1.4 Civic isnt a rocket either, but try insure one at 17 and see how far you get!

Certain cars just have stigmas attached to them. I dont know if its necessarily as bad with a Golf, but the fact that the OP is struggling to get a quote for one suggests to me that insurers are looking at a teenager trying to insure a Golf and are (most likely unfairly) drawing their own conclusion about a teenager driving a Golf. Its by no means fair, but welcome to the wonderful world of motor insurance in Ireland... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

I started driving later than the OP but I had some of the same issues, albeit on the theoretical level only, so I understand the problem: here's my story.

Learned to drive in my mothers VW Polo. (terrible ****box would never recommend Polos). Was insured as a named driver, that alone was like €500 or something even though I was already in my 20s. I could, theoretically, have had insurance in my own name for €3740! (At this time, I had the magical 2nd Provisional).

Passed my test and then got my own car, a diesel 99 Avensis (much nicer) with a 2L turbo engine. My mothers insurance company gave me "driving experience credit" (kind of an in-house NCB) so it was a given that I would use them.

Now, I had to make a long journey over public transport :( to get to the car dealership so basically I was going there to do the deal, if the car was in any decent shape, which it was :) so just for the hell of it, the day before I travelled to the dealership, I decided to try another insurance company to see what they would charge. Rang Carole Nash. 20-something years old, full license for over a year, no accidents points or convictions, but no NCB either, in a car that I would subsequently find out from a MyWheels search that the car was - out of 5 bands - 2nd from lowest in insurance groups (ranked "Low", lowest is "Very Low").

They wouldn't quote/insure me. I didn't bother making any more calls.

Moral of the story: insurance for young/inexperienced drivers is ridiculously conservative. I suggest:
    1. Get something like a Nissan Micra, lowest engine capacity possible.
    2. Find an insurance company that gives driving experience credit for named drivers
    3. Insure the car in your mothers name with you as a named driver
    4. Pass your driving test ASAP
    5. Use the same insurance company to insure the car you really want - assuming it's not an insurers nightmare like a modded Honda Civic - for a few years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

djimi wrote: »

A 1.4 Civic isnt a rocket either, but try insure one at 17 and see how far you get!

Certain cars just have stigmas attached to them. I dont know if its necessarily as bad with a Golf, but the fact that the OP is struggling to get a quote for one suggests to me that insurers are looking at a teenager trying to insure a Golf and are (most likely unfairly) drawing their own conclusion about a teenager driving a Golf. Its by no means fair, but welcome to the wonderful world of motor insurance in Ireland... :rolleyes:
    A civic is no different to any other 1.4 car for insurance. I came from a saloon corolla (which would be seen as a car for older people) into a 1.4 civic with out any bother or premium increase. A friend of mine also started out in a civic and it cost him roughly the same as most other 1.4s would of cost him.

The civics that people usually have trouble insuring are either jap imports or high performance varients, which goes for many cars really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

OP,I think its an unwritten rule that a person starts off driving in a 1L car.Why in the heck do you want to start in any bigger.
    No thats not correct, regardless of the car being 1.0 or 1.4 insurance will always be expensive and difficult to get when starting out. I thought the same as you when I started out driving, but it ended up only costing me 80 euros more to get insured on a 1.4 instead of on a 1.0.

As for why would any one want to start out in anything bigger. The reason for me was there was a much bigger range of cars in the 1.2-1.4 bracket, compared to only three good reliable cars in the 1.0 bracket with one of them, a yaris being out of my price range.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A civic is no different to any other 1.4 car for insurance. I came from a saloon corolla (which would be seen as a car for older people) into a 1.4 civic with out any bother or premium increase. A friend of mine also started out in a civic and it cost him roughly the same as most other 1.4s would of cost him.

The civics that people usually have trouble insuring are either jap imports or high performance varients, which goes for many cars really.

What age were you when you changed to a Civic?

I can tell you from first hand experience and seeing other people trying to insure them that Civics are not the same as any other 1.4 car when it comes to insurance. Perhaps the newer models might be a bit different, but certainly not the older ones. And Im not talking about Jap imports or modified models either; once an insurance hears the word Civic coming out of the mouth of a bloke him his late teens/early 20s they immediately start seeing panic bells, and start to assume the worst.

Obviously this changes somewhat when you start to get a bit older and start to build up experience, but in this case the OP is 17 years old on a learner permit, so they are going to find it very hard to insure anything that has traditionally been associated with higher risk groups. For that reason, something like a 1.4 Focus probably wouldnt be a problem, but the likes of a 1.4 Civic and probably Golf is going to be a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Unless your willing to drive a 1L and pay over 3/4000 insurance then you will not be driving at 17, im 21 still getting quoted over 2000, given i have a 2L passat but still

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A civic is no different to any other 1.4 car for insurance

Not entirely true. There is an insurer who loads Honda Civics, all Civics, and they would be considered pretty competitive in the young driver market!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Have you considered a policy with a telematics box? AXA , Nononsense and XSDIRECT all have trackers , ...so you may be able to find something there. I think they are targetted to first time drivers. (The latter anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jordanfaf

djimi wrote: »
    Try a different car. A 17 year old on a learners permit in a Golf probably has alarm bells ringing for them.

I know this is a very old thread but just for those looking to get a golf for a first car I advise against it. My first car was a 1.4 turbo charged fiat bravo with over 150 bhp. I was only paying 1500 name driver with a provisional. My friend has a 1.4 120 bhp golf and is paying nearly 2500 name driver. More golf's on the road so thers more claims against them hence the high insurance. But yea start with a smaller engine. I wrote my fiat off within a year 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Nice first car I must say man!
    What did you do to raise the bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

CiniO wrote: »
    Only in Ireland.

This is a thread in an Irish forum about getting insurance in Ireland?

Would you swoop into any random thread in any forum on boards and post that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A-Trak wrote: »
    This is a thread in an Irish forum about getting insurance in Ireland?

Would you swoop into any random thread in any forum on boards and post that?

I wrote it just to point out how ridiculous this "unwritten rule is". But unfortunately Rhys Essien is right. It is an unwritten rule and it is here well settled and in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eoghanmurphy46

What I have noticed is that newer versions of cars are cheaper to insure for example a 2002 vw golf is 4200e a year a 2007 is 3150,get the newer car your budget will allow

Advertisement