Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightlifting and Boxing

• 14-02-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

I've recently started back boxing after 18 months lay off due to work and am training four to five times a week with a view to competeing. I've competed before but after working in a pub for the past while my general condition has gone to sh*t. I'm in a new job now and so have evenings and time to train, my cardio is improving and I've sorted my diet out a lot. I've put on a bit of fat (not loads mind you) and need to generally improve my condition, I feel I need to be doing some sort of strength program.

My only previous experience lifting weights was doing programs like 5x5 and Starting Strength, something I don't think I'll be able to maintain while training two hours a day and sparring etc. It just isn't feasable for me and I know I'll burn out quick or end up injured in the space of a month. Secondly, the gym I train at has no squat rack whatsoever (old school anti-weights boxing gym) so goblet squats are the only realistic option available to me.

I feel training twice a week would be the most I could do, would I be better off concentrating on things like compounds, e.g. adapting the likes of Starting Strength as best I can or are there any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

FTA69 wrote: »
    I've recently started back boxing after 18 months lay off due to work and am training four to five times a week with a view to competeing. I've competed before but after working in a pub for the past while my general condition has gone to sh*t. I'm in a new job now and so have evenings and time to train, my cardio is improving and I've sorted my diet out a lot. I've put on a bit of fat (not loads mind you) and need to generally improve my condition, I feel I need to be doing some sort of strength program.

My only previous experience lifting weights was doing programs like 5x5 and Starting Strength, something I don't think I'll be able to maintain while training two hours a day and sparring etc. It just isn't feasable for me and I know I'll burn out quick or end up injured in the space of a month. Secondly, the gym I train at has no squat rack whatsoever (old school anti-weights boxing gym) so goblet squats are the only realistic option available to me.

I feel training twice a week would be the most I could do, would I be better off concentrating on things like compounds, e.g. adapting the likes of Starting Strength as best I can or are there any other options?

You don't need to do starting strength per se, 20 mins twice a week could have you doing

Day 1
    Push up 5 sets
    Chins 5 sets
    Goblets squats 5 sets

Day 2
    DB press 5 sets
    DB rows 5 sets
    Lunges 5 sets

Could be done before or even integrated into your boxing workout if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We do about 100 push ups a session so I was hoping to do something like benching to increase strength proper. I'd use a barbell for presses and rows maybe. Would deadlifting be too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

FTA69 wrote: »
    We do about 100 push ups a session so I was hoping to do something like benching to increase strength proper. I'd use a barbell for presses and rows maybe. Would deadlifting be too much?

No prob subbing bench for push ups, just do a push, pull, leg in each workout. yes deads would be a good choice

Advertisement