Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail via Exchange on iPhone (Help!!)

• 14-02-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So on another thread I said I got a replacement iPhone 5 from Apple yesterday. I went home and plugged phone in and updated to IOS6.1 before restoring from a backup.

After I restored from backup I was prompted to enter the password for my 3 Gmail Exchange accounts. I did this and then got an error saying mail could not connect to server or similar. No matter what I did there was no joy. Tried deleting the accounts and starting over but still the same story.

Settings are all fine, the usual m.google.com server etc and all details are 100% correct and I get ticks to verify this upon setting up account from scratch.

Has anyone else had this issue? After a bit of Googling I came across something to say that Google no longer support exchange as of 30th January. But it still works on my iPad with the same set up and on other peoples phones. Was working fine on mine up to yesterday.

Anyone have a work around or solution? I don't want to set up as a gmail account as I lose Push notifications which i need as I need to see certain mails as they hit. I know I could use the Gmail app but Im a fan of the native app and have it set up with different tones for each mailbox and to send from any mailbox with a certain account as default etc & i like the setup.

Any ideas?

Don't know why Google would do such a thing. Makes litttle sense to me.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Dont know why you are using exchange for Gmail....

Just into mail and add Gmail account

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Don't think you can have push on gmail without it being an exchange account. It isn't in the settings anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

As said above there is no push with gmail setup. Has to be Exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Seems to be an iOS6. Issue:
    http://t.co/DO9rHcQc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

cookie1977 wrote: »

It's nothing to do with that - the 6.1 bug just causes excessive server logging on the exchange server for people using Microsoft Exchange email.

Yeah, Google has dropped it. Is there any known work arounds?

Its still an option for Googles Apps for business users which costs $50 per year. Can anyone just sign up for that? Did a bit of googling but couldnt find an answer. Anyone familiar with the Google Apps setup?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Was that a subtle dig at iPhone? Have to pull the battery on your blackberry lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

No, not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Does the Gmail app not offer push?

• Advertisement

Does the Gmail app not offer push?

It does but as I stated in my OP I prefer the native app & have various tones for different mails & recipients etc & can send from any of my various different addresses.

Just looking for an alternative work around or if anyone knows if i can avail off the Google Apps for €5 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Just looking for an alternative work around or if anyone knows if i can avail off the Google Apps for €5 per month.

Probably not what you want to hear but i'd take the cheaper option and change to hotmail/outlook.

I'm slowly changing away from GMail since they announced they are removing exchange support.

Decided to just go with the Google Apps for Business option. At least I'll get exchange & push back & a custom email address.

All i need now is to try get a .ie domain name registered. That should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭doctorwho-fan

Can anyone help please, my sister set up a gmail account on my phone for herself but doesn't use it anymore, alot of my contacts defaulted to connected to my gmail and when i deleted the gmail account I lost my numbers. we don't know what the password for gmail is and can't contact anyone in google to get help, is there a phone number where I can talk to a human being?? I have tried to retrieve password but not getting anywhere. These contacts are really important clients, can anyone help please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Can anyone help please, my sister set up a gmail account on my phone for herself but doesn't use it anymore, alot of my contacts defaulted to connected to my gmail and when i deleted the gmail account I lost my numbers. we don't know what the password for gmail is and can't contact anyone in google to get help, is there a phone number where I can talk to a human being?? I have tried to retrieve password but not getting anywhere. These contacts are really important clients, can anyone help please?

Check if the contacts are backed up in itunes

Don't have itunes on phone, any other ideas??

iTunes is on the phone but it just links to the iTunes Store. What he means is iTunes on a pc. Did you set it up with a pc or sync with one recently

no phone wasn't synced with a pc, still no joy with gmail

Advertisement