Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA - Son with Aspergers

• 14-02-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi, if someone could help please, it would be great.

Our 12 year old son has Aspergers and Dyspraxia and is going into secondary school this coming September. We're currently in the process of getting all the reports together.

One of the reports came back to us this week saying that he needs a part-time SNA for secondary school (he doesn't have one in primary school) because of the potential stressors and his lack of organisational ability and the need to move between classes etc.

This is great, we are happy about it.

HOWEVER given the cutbacks, what is the likelihood of him actually getting the SNA?

He has the maximum resource hours of 4.5 hours per week and this was given to him without a problem.

Its just that if there is any doubt about the SNA being made available to him I don't want to bring it up. But if he does get the SNA, we're going to have to get him used to the idea because people with Aspergers tend to be very rigid in their belief systems and habits.

If anyone could advise, please, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I'm aware there has been cut backs recently with regard to SNAs and some children share SNAs. I would say children are prioritized according to their needs and I would contact your school for more information.

Advertisement