Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling off period

Options
  • 14-02-2013 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

I became an official member of manchester united a few days ago. I would like to cancel.

Their terms and conditions state:

If a Membership is cancelled, whether by the Club or the Member, no refund will be paid to the relevant Member for any remaining period of Membership

Do I have any grounds for refund under a cooling off period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Did you purchase over the phone or over the internet? If so, exactly when, what date was it?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure if Distance Selling Cooling Off applies to you. It states
    Consumers are entitled to a cooling-off period of 7 days, which begins on the day that they receive the product. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded or the day written confirmation of the contract was received. During the cooling-off period, the consumer can cancel distance contracts without giving a reason and without incurring charges or penalties other than possible charges incurred in returning the goods. If a supplier fails to provide written confirmation, the cooling off period is extended to three months from the date the goods were received or the contract for the provision of services was completed.

Upon cancellation, the distance seller is obliged to reimburse the consumer within 30 days. Once the contract is cancelled, any credit agreements entered into at the time of the contract will be cancelled as well.

However, it also states
    Cancellation will not be accepted, however, in the following cases:

The provision of services have already begun with the consumer's agreement
    The price of the goods or services is dependent upon financial market fluctuations that are beyond the supplier's control
    The goods cannot be returned because they were made according to the consumer's specifications
    The goods are audio/video tapes or computer software whose seals have been broken by the consumer
    The goods are newspapers or magazines
    The services are gaming and lottery services.

Why are you cancelling, if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Joined, Over the phone, on Sunday just gone, the 10th.

Thing is though, I already applied for tickets (and failed). So that counts as using one of the benefits and a refund is not an option (This is what they said when I phoned just in the last hour).

Not surprised but just seeing if I had any get-out clause!

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »

Yeah its a lottery type thing. For high demand games they do this lottery ballot type thing.

It doesn`t get much higher demand than Man United vs Real Madrid and I spent a lot of money just for the opportunity to enter the ballot!! :pac:

Ring the National Consumer Agency. They will tell you what you are entitled to.

nca.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You bought membership to try and get tickets to a match, but want to cancel it because you didn't. I would be massively surprised if you were the first person to do that and even more surprised if the clubs terms and conditions expressly laid out that doing so would remove your ability to cancel and get a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What difference would it make? People would only buy it X+1 days earlier (were X is the cooling off period time applicable) so they could go in to the draw as they did now.

Morally you shouldn't buy a membership, use the benefits and then try and get a refund. If people what to sign up just for the chance at tickets thats their decision.

Its a business, don't be so shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

:rolleyes: Interesting suggestion.

All is not lost, the €135 or so I spent for 3 club memberships will pay for 0.054% of Robin Van Persies reported weekly wage this week (€250,000???)

Advertisement