Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching broadband from UPC to meteor mobile?

• 14-02-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

currently have tv and broadband with UPC - no phone line in house. Were thinking of moving to SKY for tv (cheaper and better quality of service imo) but cannot get broadband from them with no phone line.
    Saw poster passing meteor shop for broadband for €10 per month - was a special offer. Is this just for the dongle that we plug into laptop? we have 2 laptops and 2 tablets that connect regularly to internet for browsing and netflix, though not all at same time.
    would this be an option for us and how do we use dongle to get wifi on the tablets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

fifib wrote: »
    currently have tv and broadband with UPC - no phone line in house. Were thinking of moving to SKY for tv (cheaper and better quality of service imo) but cannot get broadband from them with no phone line.
    Saw poster passing meteor shop for broadband for €10 per month - was a special offer. Is this just for the dongle that we plug into laptop? we have 2 laptops and 2 tablets that connect regularly to internet for browsing and netflix, though not all at same time.
    would this be an option for us and how do we use dongle to get wifi on the tablets?
    It's just a dongle and dependant on 3G coverage - I would definately not recommend it for 4 tablets that stream Netflix, it wouldn't be half enough on 1 PC for Netflix.

UPC let you have just the BB for €39 a month, it's not exactly super cheap but the service is excellent and you should be happy you can get that. Where I live, I have Eircom 8MB and it's €50 a month (no phone used either). Stay where you are OP, just cancel the TV and get Sky Entertainment without movies and sports for €35 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Keep the UPC broadband (get the phone also but don't use it) adding the phone option knocks a couple of euro off the bill.

If I had UPC,they're wouldn't be a chance in Hell that I'd ditch it for Meteor.

Sky for tv & UPC for broadband= best of both worlds.

BTW,sign up for Sky through fatcheese to get cashback which should go a good way towards covering your bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

OP, you would be mad to leave UPC broadband. It is the best available by a long shot. A meteor, or any dongle, will break your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

As above - don't even think about changing from UPC high-speed broadband to Meteor dongle. I signed up for a month's free trial a couple of years ago and packed it in after 2 weeks - even though it was free and I'm a tight bast*rd!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

zerks wrote: »
    Keep the UPC broadband (get the phone also but don't use it) adding the phone option knocks a couple of euro off the bill.

If I had UPC,they're wouldn't be a chance in Hell that I'd ditch it for Meteor.

Sky for tv & UPC for broadband= best of both worlds.

BTW,sign up for Sky through fatcheese to get cashback which should go a good way towards covering your bill.

oh :o we didnt realise you could get broadband from UPC without having tv with them also.
    so we can cancel the tv with UPC and keep the broadband?..we have phone also with them.
    since we got phone we are being charged for them all seperately so our monthly bill is 85-90 each month and same in a bundle is only €69. I asked why we werent put on a bundle when we got phone put in last year and was told bundles werent available then. we have to sign up for another 12 mths to get bundle...so we have been checking out our options so we can move to SKY tv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot more people are going for Sky tv along with UPC broadband,many were like you op & didn't realise it was an option.

Advertisement