Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humour Thread - Chat or No Chat

• 14-02-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Simple, do you want chat in the Humour thread or do you want it to just be Pics/Videos/Gifs/Jokes?

Edit : Poll closes in 2 days.

Do you want chat in the Humour Thread? 25 votes

Chat
    0%
    No Chat
    100%
    applehunterctrl-alt-deleteNecronomiconpatmacfarna_boyPro. FROCKMANdfx-IvySlayerThe_Kew_Tourflyingoutsidedreamers75RegaWill I AmntLiam O3hn2givr7mx1scRayCondrumlover22smileyj1987Suryavarman 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Personally I don't think 'lol that f**king hilarious' really adds much to the thread, so the thread will lose nothing if chat is not allowed.

No Chat also solves the problem of people getting precious and debating the humour of the gif/video/joke or whatever. This hasn't happened as much as some people predicted at the start but it was always inevitably going to happen.

When I see the thread has been bumped I'm expecting to see something funny. It's a bit annoying when it's just someone discussing a post that came before.

'Pissing myself laughing' or 'typical of a United fan to post something like that' are not very funny posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Morzadec wrote: »
    Personally I don't think 'lol that f**king hilarious' really adds much to the thread, so the thread will lose nothing if chat is not allowed.

No Chat also solves the problem of people getting precious and debating the humour of the gif/video/joke or whatever. This hasn't happened as much as some people predicted at the start but it was always inevitably going to happen.

When I see the thread has been bumped I'm expecting to see something funny. It's a bit annoying when it's just someone discussing a post that came before.

'Pissing myself laughing' or 'typical of a United fan to post something like that' are not very funny posts.

I agree 100%.

You dont need to add an irrelevant comment to let Boards.ie know you think it's funny.

That's what the Thanks button is for.

On the flip side, you also, IMO don't need to add a comment saying you found something unfunny, its a humour thread, humour is subjective and not everyone will agree on humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Perhaps you could sticky a thread called "Humour thread discussion"?, like the one they have in Cool Vids & Pics & Links.
    Then if anyone wants to comment, they can while people who just want the jokes don't have to go near it. It would also be handy for anyone to ask about a joke if they don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would it not be easier to just ban Liverpool fans from chatting?

joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

No Chat
    Let there be chat IMO. Sometimes the responses to jokes are as funny as the jokes themselves.

Obviously excessive chat could derail the thread, but it has been pretty self-regulating up to this point. If people don't get sand in their vaginas about the jokes and take the thread for what it is, I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No Chat
    Just enforce a "no drama llama" rule and it would be fine. Someone might want to ask a question about a post/pic/gif that might not be so obvious, such as the pic showing the score/scorers in the Hartlepool v Notts County game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No Chat
    Just like Cambo says, just enforce the 'no drama lama' rule. There isn't an ever present need for chat, but sometimes something interesting comes up that somebody wants to ask about or comment on. That's not a big deal and people talking about the thread being at risk of being ruined by chat are being ridiculous.

I'd also be pretty sure that the no chat rule would be broken more often than the 'no drama lama' rule ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No Chat
    It's all fun and games til a team goes on a bad run, or has a bad time of it.

Then that team's fans get all knivker-twisted and even the smallest perceived slight.

It's not just Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No drama llama rule definitely.

Pictures of actual llamas to be standard obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No chat.

It has been proven time and again that people get upset when someone posts a joke about their team. Post above = case in point.

The rule should be like YLYL, no chat, if the post gets lots of thanks it is funny, if it receives no thanks, you crash and burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No Chat
    You notice too that certain people will thank posts but if it's their club then they won't even the ones that deserve it somewhat.

Thread should be just for banter and away from the dose that a match thread can give.

Pity it had to come to vote cause thread was going along smooth enough.

How about chat, but at an absolute bare minimum?

If it relates to the topic at hand then it's ok once it doesnt go wildly off-topic, also the no drama llama rule, OMG brigade should see the thread for what it's worth, a place for a bit of banter and craic and nothing to serious.

If the thread stays like that and along those guidelines then long may it continue but if it goes down the road of b**ching and sniping and constant chatter, we'll have to lock it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No Chat
    GavRedKing wrote: »

If it relates to the topic at hand then it's ok once it doesnt go wildly off-topic, also the no drama llama rule, OMG brigade should see the thread for what it's worth, a place for a bit of banter and craic and nothing to serious.

If the thread stays like that and along those guidelines then long may it continue but if it goes down the road of b**ching and sniping and constant chatter, we'll have to lock it up.

Sounds good to me.

No chat is the way to go with this thread, having a "some chat is ok" is too vague a rule. Having a grey area like that will cause a mess in my opinion. A separate thread for people to talk about pictures openly or ask questions would be better. The vote so far clearly indicates a majority for no chat in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No Chat
    Just rule out the likes of "How is that funny?" type crap or "Typical of a fan of Team XXX to post that about Rival Team YYYYY".

Allow - "What does that relate to?" type things where someone may not have seen a particular piece of play, or punditry, allow the explanation and a link to it.

Ban the use of the phrase "Drama Llama" and "OMG Won't someone think of the children".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No Chat
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    No chat.

It has been proven time and again that people get upset when someone posts a joke about their team.

Not in the Humour Thread it hasn't. One pair of drama llamas the other day and we're having a freak out and banning all chat from the thread.

Surely that was the rule and how the thread was running already?
    Ban the use of the phrase "Drama Llama" and "OMG Won't someone think of the children".

They'll just be replaced with another phrase/pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No Chat
    Apart from the reaction to one (very bloody funny) post the other day, i cant remember an issue with this at all.
    I know the mods have a hard time as it is, but maybe just tighten up on / implement the no drama rule.

I'm just going to montior the Humour thread and delete any unneccesary chat and bitching in the thread.

As long as people dont over react the thread should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement