Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age for your first horse?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all, just wondering what age your first horse was, I think it's best to go with an older horse when you are a new horse owner - whats the general consensus?

My first horse was 18yrs old and a been there done that type.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi all, just wondering what age your first horse was, I think it's best to go with an older horse when you are a new horse owner - whats the general consensus?

My first horse was 18yrs old and a been there done that type.:)

Mine was 9 when I first got her
    Is yours still alive ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There are plenty of older horses that are lively and plenty of young horses that are solid, age isnt a big a deal as temperament and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 starpixie72

yeah he is still alive, 22 now and looking like an old man around the face with the grey whiskers but still plenty of life in him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

My first horse was a 7 year old. I did a lot of learning with him. He had enough of experience to not be bothered by the silly things but plenty of attitude to make me work hard on days he felt like acting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

My first horse was a mare aged 4 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. Looking back on it, it was scary!

I should never have bought her, but 6 years later we are still going strong. She's a keeper and will never be sold. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

my first pony was around 10 i think. he came from a riding school and had learned some pretty bad habits - so an older horse might not mean a more well behaved horse. my next one after i out grew the first was a 4yr old tb! he was a saint most of the time.

good schooling and a solid temperament are the main thing. I'm typing this with one hand after a fall from a spooky 4 yr old. get something with a nice calm eye and gentle nature. avoid anything too flighty for your first horse - it's just not worth it.

make sure to see the horse in different situations and ridden by someone else first. good luck!

Advertisement