Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Curry?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭

Why, oh why, oh why would anybody who calls themselves a chef lace a Thai curry (green or red) with dairy cream.
    I'm no expert on Thai cooking but as far as I know there should never be dairy cream in these dishes yet twice in the last six months I've gotten Thai curries that tasted like creamy korma of stroganoff - no real Thai flavours, no heat and lashings and lashings of cream. WTF???

To compound matters, too much cream really doesn't agree with my system - it tries to get out again very quickly?

Do I have to stop ordering these dishes when eating on the road or ask the usually clueless server if there is cream in the curry?

The offenders were The White Horse in Ballincollig, Cork yesterday and Lang's in Grange, Co. Sligo some months ago (I've previously really liked Lang's but this put me off).

I understand that a lot of punters don't like a curry too hot but that doesn't mean you have to put cream in it, does it?

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i have to agree I really dislike the restaurant style thai curries here, they are way ott creamy and sweet in general.
    if u want a proper thai curry, you will enjoy this.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056870424

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i have to agree I really dislike the restaurant style thai curries here, they are way ott creamy and sweet in general.
    if u want a proper thai curry, you will enjoy this.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056870424
    Oh I've no problem making my own Thai curry-it's eating in bars and restaurants that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Probably because the recipe says coconut cream/milk and the places aren't bother to order it in specially and just go with a big order of dairy cream for the currys/stroganoffs/desserts/chicken supreme etc.

That said I'd never order a thai curry from a place what wasn't a thai restaurant. I'm lucky enough living that be closer to Asia that i've a much better selection of places for asian food, and that they tend to retain their individual flavours better. Instead of becoming a hybrid of "curries" or what ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

As a rule of thumb I wouldn't order a dish like that from anywhere that isn't a good Thai restaurant. So many of these places seem to think that fragrant = sweet so you find dishes to be clawingly sweet or like you say, laden with bloody cream! :eek:

My sympathies are with you though, I actually end up genuinely DEVASTATED if I eat out and don't like it.

I think when you're a good cook yourself and know the difference it's also pretty annoying that these establishments are actually serving food as a living....they should know better!

Ooooh I could join you in your rant and not stop!

Thing is I'm not so naive as to expect a really good authentic Thai curry - I'm just after a bit of lunch and sometimes a curry with rice is the only thing on a particular menu that suits my mood/hunger, when you take into account that I generally don't eat deep fried food. It's not eating for pleasure - I do that at home or in a really good restaurant of my choice - this is just the necessity of feeding.
    But I still have certain expectations and one of them is that a THAI CURRY WON'T HAVE HALF A PINT OF CREAM IN IT YOU IDIOT DISHER UP OF FOOD WHO CALLS THEMSELVES A CHEF!!

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Probably because the recipe says coconut cream/milk and the places aren't bother to order it in specially and just go with a big order of dairy cream for the currys/stroganoffs/desserts/chicken supreme etc.

But coconut cream/milk comes in a can with a very long shelf life - no excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd send it back and refuse to pay.
    As long as people take it,they will send it out.
    Give them the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But coconut cream/milk comes in a can with a very long shelf life - no excuse!
    Oh I know, I wasn't suggesting that it was a excuse or valid reason.
    I just meant that if they can't get it right they are probably too stupid/lazy to organise some proper ingredients.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd send it back and refuse to pay.
    As long as people take it,they will send it out.
    Give them the message.

You are right but it's not very feasible when grabbing a quick bite with colleagues before getting back to work. Not enough time and couldn't be dealing with the comments - I'm already sometimes referred to as 'The Food Ponce' (affectionately, of course). :o

Advertisement