Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the Confusion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

WOW !!

600px-Swindon-Magic-Roundabout.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I regularly drive through the Wilton roundabout coming from to Sarsfield Road and heading to Glasheen.

Now there is three lane coming onto the roundabout, one for going left, one for going straight ahead and one for going right (the one I take).

I can't even count about of times some arsehole has cut across me from the centre lane to go right. :mad:

The only reason I avoid an accident one day is because I sat back, I knew they would turn in on me. Another day I had to jam on the brakes, in the middle of the ****ing roundabout. A blast of the horn from me and an innocent look from the driver, they didn't even know what they did wrong. :mad: Some people.

/rant

The problem at Wilton is that the centre lane that you refer to was always for going down the Glasheen Rd and the right hand one was for going all the way around and going back down the Sarsfield Rd. (Was put there to accommodate the No.14 bus turning AFAIR)
    They've since remarked the lanes in a far more confusing manner than before. Both lanes are now legal to take the Glasheen exit but I always stick with the centre one as I find it safer. This is the one that traffic from Bishopstown will be using so better to be in that lane earlier than trying to merge. If you take the inside lane and attempt to take the Glasheen exit then you'll be cutting in on someone already using that lane and could be liable in an accident IMO.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=cork&hl=en&ll=51.882746,-8.507232&spn=0.001366,0.003484&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=10.823445,28.54248&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork&t=k&z=19
    hoodwinked wrote: »
    no the left lane is for the two lanes heading to the city/dump direction, the right lane is for the two inside lanes, aka douglas/rochestown or heading west/grange. this came up before and this is the official layout, but rules of the road disagree with the markings, i don't know why and anyway

if the left lane was for douglas exit that would mean cars are cutting across 2 lanes to the 3rd lane and sometimes with a blocked (by the cars heading that way) view of traffic coming from the right :confused: especially considering the amount of trucks/vans coming from that direction, its safer to take the right lane and check your left blind spot when indicating off the roundabout

Those lanes are not marked that way??? Both lanes are marked 'Straight Ahead' and in fact there's no left arrow at all!!!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=cork&hl=en&ll=51.873926,-8.470057&spn=0.001366,0.003484&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=10.823445,28.54248&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork&t=k&z=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Only the right hand lane is for Glasheen, been like that as far back as I can remember (before 09 anyway). You move from the right hand lane to the left hand lane as you pass the northbound exit, it doesn't look like that from the satellite image as the roundabout is elliptical (markings are more for people coming on from the hospital side), but there's only one lane you should be in coming from Sarsfield road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Now I AM confused :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Those lanes are not marked that way??? Both lanes are marked 'Straight Ahead' and in fact there's no left arrow at all!!!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=cork&hl=en&ll=51.873926,-8.470057&spn=0.001366,0.003484&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=10.823445,28.54248&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork&t=k&z=19

i know! thats what causes confusion, the fact there is no left arrow means they've assumed the left lane is to go straight ahead down the dump direction, and the right lane is to go straight ahead down the douglas direction if you follow me, because both the dump and Douglas roads technically go in a v shape starting at the same side of the roundabout they are both assumed to be straight ahead from that junction. if you follow the roundabout lane to douglas exit and the grange/airport exit you see the split between them happens on the roundabout as opposed to before you enter it.

basically follow the arrows straight onto the roundabout and the arrows on the roundabout are your guide, the left lane brings you onto the two lanes that have left arrows on the roundabouts lanes (to city center/dump direction), the right lane brings you onto the roundabout lane that gives you a straight arrow (to douglas) or a straight(to douglas)/right turn(west/airport/grange) turn.
    see it is confusing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

TheChizler wrote: »
    Only the right hand lane is for Glasheen, been like that as far back as I can remember (before 09 anyway). You move from the right hand lane to the left hand lane as you pass the northbound exit, it doesn't look like that from the satellite image as the roundabout is elliptical (markings are more for people coming on from the hospital side), but there's only one lane you should be in coming from Sarsfield road.

That's an older Sat image - the lanes have since (recently) been repainted into a far more complicated set up!!

If you look at the 3 lanes on Sarsfield Rd the left one is arrowed left for the two lanes Westbound towards Bishopstown/Regional Hospital. The other two are 'Straight ahead' onto the two lanes on the roundabout. The middle/left of these has the option to go down the Wilton Rd or around to Glasheen Rd exit without breaking lanes/white lines.
    The right hand one is actually to go around and back down Sarsfield Rd. This lane wasn't there originally when they built the roundabout and the Island was adjusted to allow for it to accomodate the busses turning here. You can see the arrow at the most Northerly point is taking you back around and into the lane for Sarsfield Rd. To go down Glasheen you have to change lanes after the Wilton exit which is a very short space.

Strangely enough there are relatively few accidents on this Roundabout considering the volume of traffic that uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Bacchus wrote: »
    Co
    Oh, the Kinsale Road Roudabout about is the worst. Half the people on it don't seem to know how it works. Granted the road markings aren't great and it does have 5 entrances/exits (1 of them with no traffic lights) but it's not that hard to just get in the correct lane an stay in it. So many time I've seen people switching lanes and back again cutting across other drivers because they follow the wrong road markings. Really wish they'd repaint that roundabout for all the noobs :)
    I dont blame people on the Kinsale Road one, i always follow the "airport" lane, but even this one changes half way through and if i stay on it i find myself having to go in Togher direction, or change lanes, which i don't like doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Man nearly gave up and got out of my car today..Christ trying to either drive up temple hill or down is fecking madness. People just seem to have no notion how big their cars are (they arent all tanks) or that if you actually stop and let some cars up the way will clear..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The problem at Wilton is that the centre lane that you refer to was always for going down the Glasheen Rd and the right hand one was for going all the way around and going back down the Sarsfield Rd. (Was put there to accommodate the No.14 bus turning AFAIR)
    They've since remarked the lanes in a far more confusing manner than before. Both lanes are now legal to take the Glasheen exit but I always stick with the centre one as I find it safer. This is the one that traffic from Bishopstown will be using so better to be in that lane earlier than trying to merge. If you take the inside lane and attempt to take the Glasheen exit then you'll be cutting in on someone already using that lane and could be liable in an accident IMO.
    I've been using that roundabout for ~10 years and the right hand lane on the approach from Sarsfield Rd was always the only correct lane to take when heading for Glasheen Rd, even when there were only 2 lanes on that approach. The centre approach lane is only "safer" because so many drivers use the wrong lane.

That's an older Sat image - the lanes have since (recently) been repainted into a far more complicated set up!!

If you look at the 3 lanes on Sarsfield Rd the left one is arrowed left for the two lanes Westbound towards Bishopstown/Regional Hospital. The other two are 'Straight ahead' onto the two lanes on the roundabout. The middle/left of these has the option to go down the Wilton Rd or around to Glasheen Rd exit without breaking lanes/white lines.
    The right hand one is actually to go around and back down Sarsfield Rd. This lane wasn't there originally when they built the roundabout and the Island was adjusted to allow for it to accomodate the busses turning here. You can see the arrow at the most Northerly point is taking you back around and into the lane for Sarsfield Rd. To go down Glasheen you have to change lanes after the Wilton exit which is a very short space.

Strangely enough there are relatively few accidents on this Roundabout considering the volume of traffic that uses it.

Unless they've been repainted very recently, I believe the same markings as the image are still there. Using the middle/left lane to head towards Glasheen makes no sense as it clearly contravenes both the ROTR (both 'clockface' and '90 degree angle' interpretations) and the arrows themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

This is exactly my problem. If you are in the middle lane and turn go to Glasheen you are in the wrong. If you are in the right hand lane and you are going to Glasheen you are not "cutting-in" on someone. They should not be there because the middle lane is for straight ahead.

Some people really need a lesson on how to use a roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

If you are coming from Ballincollig onto the Poulavone roundabout and heading up Model Farm Road should you be in the left or right lane. I take the right lane based on the fact that it's the 3rd exit but have been blown out of it by cars coming on the left lane, including a driver instructor yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I'm not sure the first exit counts as its a minor road into an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Rabbo wrote: »
    I'm not sure the first exit counts as its a minor road into an estate.

it's still an exit, minor or not,

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

OP - totally agree..its one of the things that winds me up to ninety :) Try coming down from the Airport to turn right to Kinsale and you take your life in your hands on the 2 smaller roundabouts before the main one.

The number of people who will be in the left hand lane at them and then go in a straight line over the roundabout taking up the right hand lane and cutting people up is unreal... it is called a roundabout for a reason people.... you go around it...2 lanes...stay in your own.

arrrgh

:)

Advertisement