Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barista training

Options
  • 14-02-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I was wondering whether there were any coffee making training courses in Galway (as in coffee from a café). Failing that, does anyone know where I can get some great experience around town? Somewhere they actually make the best coffee and would know the most about it?

The reason why I am asking is that I am planning a move to London soon and I think I could do with the experience, apart from being genuinely interested in all things coffee.

Thanks.

PS - I apologise to anyone who finds this question bizarre or unusual ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My 'coffee guru' pals said they saw someone do it perfectly in Arabica on Dominic St ages ago (sounds like spotting a unicorn!).

TBH barista styles seem to vary depending whether they learned in Italy, France, the US or elsewhere. I'd go in to a few places, at a busy and non busy time.

Apparently the main problems are: Coffee ground too fine/rough for the type of use. Milk over/under heated, and the Irish style of pouring coffee through a latte in a glass (looks pretty, doesn't taste as nice).

Now I want a coffee!:D

PS The Starbucks in the US and Canada are really strict about the 'coffee production line' techniques, but apparently don't seem to care as much store to store here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RubyValentine

I think ill skip Starbucks. In my opinion il vicolo makes the best coffee in galway but I don't know if their tight space would allow good coffee tutorials haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think ill skip Starbucks. In my opinion il vicolo makes the best coffee in galway but I don't know if their tight space would allow good coffee tutorials haha

I like the coffee in Il Vicolo but never watched them make it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Not in galway, but you might learn more from a company that roasts their own coffee:
    http://www.thegalwayroast.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

ask in the small cafe down forster st with a florist beside it, close to the church, the fella in there is a barista afaik so he might know of a local course.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I changed the title a bit so it clarifies that you're after barista training.

Try chatting to some you think are good and ask them to show you after work if you throw a few bob their way?
    One on one training is the best way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Here you go Ruby, Galway Bay are the distributors for Java Republic coffee in the west. I have dealt with them and they are great guys.

I think this is more aimed at training for businesses but Dave will definitely be able to help you out or advise you.

http://www.galwaybaycoffee.com/services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RubyValentine

Thanks very much for all the replies and all the help!

I'll try ask Galway Bay Coffee about it. I'm also going to go talk to some cafes and see how it goes. If anyone else knows of any place that would be able to help please let me know! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

If you go to a shop that works a busy counter, the easiest way to find a good coffee maker is to watch and listen to the barista making 4 or 5 milk and espresso drinks at once. Watch for a neat work area, quietly and slowly steamed milk that's let settle and precise espresso execution and then ask them where they trained...it's nearly always New Zealand or Australia. It's easy to learn but practice is the only way.

Advertisement