Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment very cold

Options
  • 14-02-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i live in an apartment which is pretty cold. over Christmas i had to move out. last year i kept getting flues and colds.i think if it was sealed it up it would be better. i have asked the landlord a lot of times however when he eventually sent someone around before Christmas i wasn't there

should i ask for something of the rent or a week or 2 free because of this? if so how much should i ask for?

the letting agent is pretty ok it seems to be the people they ask to do the work are hard to get in touch with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ask away, but I can't imagine you'll get anything. Why do you think you should get a "week or 2 free"? You rented it as it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

id laugh at you if you asked me for rent off. The landlord has no obligation to you in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Cold and flu are germs. Temperature in the apartment has no connection what so ever.

The answer is no either way. Do you know the temperature the place got? Saying cold is very subjective. You should use a thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

If you're not happy with the place, move out, and find somewhere you are happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Ritchi wrote: »
    If you're not happy with the place, move out, and find somewhere you are happy with.

Unfortunately that's not how Irish rental works. You have a fixed term and you can't just move out if you're not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Unfortunately that's not how Irish rental works. You have a fixed term and you can't just move out if you're not happy.

There was no mention of a fixed term, and you can still break a lease, if you're willing to pay or get a replacement than a LL is happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Bob Z wrote: »
    i live in an apartment which is pretty cold. over Christmas i had to move out. last year i kept getting flues and colds.i think if it was sealed it up it would be better. ...
    Seal what up? Not ventilation I hope?

Its tough to get major improvements done to a place by a landlord once you are in residence. If a house or apartment is so cold in winter that you feel obliged to move out, then it unlikely that a proper solution is going to be cheap. Either the heating system or the insulation or both are inadequate.

Since 1st February, all rented accommodation must by law have "a permanently fixed appliance or appliances capable of providing effective heating" in each habitable room. There's a been a four year lead-in time for this regulation. If your landlord hasn't bothered complying with it by now, he's probably not going to. I think you should be thinking of getting somewhere else by next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Bob Z wrote: »
    i live in an apartment which is pretty cold. over Christmas i had to move out. last year i kept getting flues and colds.i think if it was sealed it up it would be better. i have asked the landlord a lot of times however when he eventually sent someone around before Christmas i wasn't there

should i ask for something of the rent or a week or 2 free because of this? if so how much should i ask for?

the letting agent is pretty ok it seems to be the people they ask to do the work are hard to get in touch with

get yourself one of these asap - really good.

http://tinyurl.com/bqgg52f

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

My friend was complaining that her bedroom in her apartment was freezing.
    When I went down to visit her one day I asked her why the heating was off in the bedroom. She said she cant afford the heating bills so leaves it off.
    No wonder its freezing.

What can you say. Her fault its cold in there. But she wont hear it.

Usually when im cold i turn on the heat. If I dont it gets cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

MMAGirl wrote: »

Usually when im cold i turn on the heat. If I dont it gets cold.

outstanding analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

who_ru wrote: »
    outstanding analysis

i know.

Advertisement