Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make a complaint to the PRTB?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

First up I am not a landlord or a renter just a pissed off neighbour.

I am living next door to a family who are engaging in anti social behaviour, not enough to call the gardai by the way but enough to be a pain. Things like rubbish in the garden, kids knocking on door at all hours, fighting, blocking my driveway with cars etc

The landlord hasn't been around here in a long time, asked a few of the other neighbours and none of them know his name or contact details but the house is registered on the PRTB website.

Can I do anything or am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

You can go to the PRTB but its pointless unless you have first discussed with the landlord.

first things first dates times, events note everything then discuss with the landlord when you meet him and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

D3PO wrote: »
    You can go to the PRTB but its pointless unless you have first discussed with the landlord.

first things first dates times, events note everything then discuss with the landlord when you meet him and go from there

Thats the problem, I don't know the landlord and I have no contact details for him so I have no way of telling him. I was hoping the PRTB would be able to tell me or contact him with my details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Are you able to do a Land Registry search? That will tell you who the owner is. Or ask around the letting agencies - they might be able to tell you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I had a smiliar issue before and was advised to take out a third party dispute ( or something to that effect) with the PRTB. They sent me some forms to fill out and there's a €25 Euro charge. Think they track the landlord. I just got lucky as the neighbours moved on after a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Who can make a Dispute application to the PRTB?TOP
    An application for Dispute Resolution can be made by registered landlords and all tenants (regardless of whether the tenancy is registered or not) and Third Parties, who are affected by a landlord’s failure to enforce their tenant’s obligations (e.g. another tenant or a neighbour affected by a tenant’s anti-social behaviour) can also take a case against the landlord.
    How do I make an application for Dispute Resolution?TOP
    You can apply online. If you are a new customer, log on to www.prtb.ie and create a new account. You can then use this account to create a dispute application online. Existing online Registrations customers can use the same account that they created when registering their tenancies to create a dispute application. Alternatively you can call the PRTB and request that a dispute application form is posted out to you.
    How much does Dispute application cost?TOP
    The current fee for Dispute Resolution is €25.00

I've underlined relevant piece, it's on this basis you can file a dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

eviltwin wrote: »
    The landlord hasn't been around here in a long time, asked a few of the other neighbours and none of them know his name or contact details but the house is registered on the PRTB website.

Can I do anything or am I wasting my time?

You can apply to the PRTB to get the LL's name and address, We've had to do this before over damaged caused to our property by tenants of a different house. I can't remember if there is a fee but I would imagine it is small if it exists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

D3PO wrote: »
    This. Either the landlord or the PRTB is going to require a list of when and what anti-social problems have occurred. Better still if these can be backed up by reports to officialdom. So call the guards! Even if it is stuff that you regard as not worthy of bothering them about, get it into their log book. Fighting is illegal, blocking driveways is illegal parking. If the rubbish is in the front garden, you can contact your local authority's litter warden.

Advertisement