Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Made the first leap towards 2 wheels

• 14-02-2013 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Just signed up for the theory test.......

Should I expect a rake of biking specific questions, or is it just the standard theory test.

The last time I sat one was in 2002??? Has it changed much???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sure just get the cd and do a load of practice tests.
    Pretty sure there was a free android app too.

There will be bike specific questions... it would be kinda pointless if there wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

use this. http://www.quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161 get the book from the library and read the sections you're supposed to. i think theres two sections. ones on driving in general and one's specific to bikes. i did mine last may and i think i got about 6-7 bike questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Ah you don't need the cd, waste of money IMHO. Just pick up a copy of the rules of the road book.
    Actually they're online: http://www.rotr.ie/

And here's a practice test thing: http://www.quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I feel a little under pressure, as I've been ruthless in making fun of people for failing it over the last 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

if you fail it you probably shoudent be on the road

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »

When I done it in 2002 I recall one bike specific question about which way you should lean on a corner.

I'm worried about this type of question, as I've never driven a bike, or even had a lesson and as such I have no way to answer it!

What kind of bike specific questions are on it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

What would have caught me out if I hadn't prepped were the questions on first aid, there's a few new things or things that have changed since you did yours.

Bike stuff I remember were things about hazard perception for bikes (car doors opening, being in blind spots etc.), whether you should do your braking in a straight line or in a corner (straight line!), tire tread depth, pre-ride checks of the bike, use of front & rear brakes. That general kind of thing anyway.

Hey here you go, this'll get you well on your way: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Motorcycles/This_is_your_bike.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

make sure you know what a life saver look is and nearside from offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Notch000 wrote: »

I disagree, you could be unlucky and get a few stupid questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Best of luck, dont stress too much about it you'll be grand.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I disagree, you could be unlucky and get a few stupid questions.

I got good few questions about fecking tracktors during my theory test and only 2 questions related to bikes. I was fully convinced it was the wrong test and had to ask the guy there. Hadn't a clue about the tracktor related quesions so winged and managed to get those right, I know because I got all the questions correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Best of luck, dont stress too much about it you'll be grand.

I got good few questions about fecking tracktors during my theory test and only 2 questions related to bikes. I was fully convinced it was the wrong test and had to ask the guy there. Hadn't a clue about the tracktor related quesions so winged and managed to get those right, I know because I got all the questions correct.

picture.php?albumid=1900&pictureid=14595

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

I did the Theory test back at the end of September. (Mid life crisis!!)

Never rode a motorbike in my life. Bought the Cd & Book and just kept practising most evenings with the sample questions on the cd as I was'nt intending to pay again for the theory test.

Got 40 out of 40, got my learners permit, did the IBT and now am riding a CBR600.(although at a slow pace)

So it can be done, just practice enough & you'll get there.

Best of luck !! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would prefer to get the CD and sit in front of the laptop and do the bizzo then the ****in book. Just get the CD and keep doing the practise tests on the laptop and the ones you weak at go through that topic.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would prefer to get the CD and sit in front of the laptop and do the bizzo then the ****in book. Just get the CD and keep doing the practise tests on the laptop and the ones you weak at go through that topic.

I've got a loan of the cd off a fella now. I'll give it a spin when I get home.

What would you expect by way of bike specific questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Nothing mental TBH and alot of common sense....if totally new to bike some of the questions might throw you for a bit. Visability through corners etc also basic bike maintenance and handling issues. Also what brakes you would use in the wet, frost snow and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I remember going for mine in 2008. Everyday for about two weeks before It I just done the sample tests for maybe an hour a day. And was grand started passing them after the second day.

Theres a feature on the CD that lets you see how many questions youve answered out of the whole library and the night before I was still missing 200 of the 800. So even though I was passing them it only dawned on me then that I could be really unlucky and fail =P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 marie065

I done mine last year and there was a few questions regarding road position where you should when on a straight or taking a left bend right bend etc. A photo of the the clutch and u had to name what part it was. I went through the disk a couple of times before i went down and got all questions right. Just make sure you read the question properly there common knowledge but might be one or two tricky ones :-) :-)
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MrScootch wrote: »
    Ah you don't need the cd, waste of money IMHO. Just pick up a copy of the rules of the road book.
    Actually they're online: http://www.rotr.ie/

And here's a practice test thing: http://www.quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161

I disagree. With the CD you can do practice tests as often as you like - and you dont need to be online or connected to the internet to use it.

I did over 40 practice tests last year for my truck one: the CD made that, and the ease of practice possible.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Good luck with the test, a bike will become your best friend in a very short space of time! Don't stop the learning after you pass the theory or your driving test. Tis' all about accident prevention and lettin er rip

• Advertisement
Advertisement