Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering with animals in Wateford

Options
  • 14-02-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

hey all

just wondering is there any place that I can volunteer in Waterford City/Kilkenny that I can work with animals. I work full time so it'd have to be weekends mostly.

I already volunteer with The Donkey Sanctuary in Mallow in Cork ever few weekends but it's a 4 hour round trip, would love to find somewhere nearer

I've tried all the local vets, which weren't very helpful, WSPCA (as far as I know they don't have land where they rescue animals) I've also tried ringing the dog pound, Nore Valley, Fota wildlife, Kilkenny SPCA, Dungarvan rescue kennels, Waterford animal welfare, inistioge puppy rescue, secret valley adventure farm and the copper coast farm, all to no avail..most have said they'd get back to me and didn't, the phone rings out or they don't take actually take on volunteers. I'm at my wits end because I'm passionate about animals and would love to make a career change to work with them

Any idea's please??:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Deise-Animal-Sanctuary/163763116996140

Have you tried this?

Fair play to you! Id love to do the same but for some reason theres no facilities in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

What about the South East Animal Rescue, http://www.southeastanimalrescue.com/ based in Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I understand you totally. I have wanted to work with animals for years and my dream is to work with rescue, I am also a qualifies Veterinary Assistant but it is almost impossible to get any type of work with any of the rescue places.
    I contacted ISPCA, DSPCA, WSPCA, KSPCA etc. but like you said the phones rang out and they never replied so i gave up and did the course instead. My main problem is that I cant drive because I have epilepsy and most rescue places are in rural areas due to needing land.
    I do know for sure though that Deise Animal Sanctuary are always in need of helpers and the lady who runs it would welcome you with open arms.
    I have adopted a puppy from there a few months ago and he is doing great.
    If I had a car, I would go there daily but I cant. They have a website so you can contact them.
    Its not too far outside Waterford either hence the name "Deise". Good Luck and good on you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

I know that this guy, http://www.grantstownkennels.ie/ saves homeless dogs from time to time. Maybe he'll know who and where needs a volounteer.

It's not really far away from Waterford (paid 10E taxi from the city centre) ~25min cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Mayhap contact Orla at the Bilberry Goat Trust http://www.bilberrygoatheritagetrust.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Deise animal sanctuary in the Nire is great. You can go out there anytime and you're made feel so welcome. If you have a car they sometimes need dogs picked up from the pound or wherever and brought up to them so definitely give them a visit. Also theres a horse sanctuary being opened in Colligan, outside Dungarvan and they need volunteers for it. Watch for details on Donnas Equine Sanctuary facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

Thanks everyone! :D
    I'll give those places a try, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Another nod for Pat in Deise Animal Sanctuary. They do amazing work, and I'm sure would appreciate any helping hands they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Go out to Ballybeg youll get plenty of experience with animals! sorry i couldnt resist, :D please copy and paste and use any disadvantaged area of your choice!

Advertisement