Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual NCT plan for cars > 6 years old Abandoned

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

You will still have to test cars older than 10 years, ever year.

Article is about the plan they had for 6 year old cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I like this part:
    But the Road Safety Authority (RSA) has expressed concern about other elements of an EU Roadworthiness package including an obligation to recognise an NCT issued in another member state, even where the testing standards were not as high.

I didn't know that there were such plans, but I can say: finally!
    Only I'm hoping RSA won't be able to stop those legislation to come in force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Photoshop wrote: »
    You will still have to test cars older than 10 years, ever year.

Article is about the plan they had for 6 year old cars.

What ? damn...
    CONTROVERSIAL plans to force cars more than six years old to undergo an annual NCT have been dropped.

I assumed the "more than six years" meant all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

Yeah I got excited for a minute too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

There's a whole lot of disappointment when you click into this thread after reading the title :mad:

• Advertisement

Col200sx wrote: »
    There's a whole lot of disappointment when you click into this thread after reading the title :mad:

Sorry. I really thought it meant all cars. I was all happy there for a while and now i'm depressed again.

Well at least it's good news for some people.

Why does everyone seem to hate the idea of annual NCT?
    It's a 55 quid and half an hour per year.
    Very little cost, to decrease the number of bangers from out roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

CiniO wrote: »

I think it's good value. They do give the car a good check over too. Kinda handy for people that do their own mini services - major problems will show up on the test report.

It should be every year for cars over 4 years old imo.

It's not the point. The NCT is a scam because 2 years is plenty enough for the NCT of a motor vehicle. every year is ridiculous. I agree with the NCT i have no problem with it having to have it done every two years but every year is just a money grab.

zenno wrote: »
    It's not the point. The NCT is a scam because 2 years is plenty enough for the NCT of a motor vehicle. every year is ridiculous. I agree with the NCT i have no problem with it having to have it done every two years but every year is just a money grab.

I don't agree. 2 years is a very long time, the car could have been driven 40k miles, even more.

There's many safety issues that could arise in the period of time eg. brakes, leaking shocks etc. after only 12 months, no problem at all.

• Advertisement

I don't agree. 2 years is a very long time, the car could have been driven 40k miles, even more.

There's many safety issues that could arise in the period of time eg. brakes, leaking shocks etc. after only 12 months, no problem at all.

Not if you get your car serviced every year like myself. I won't let it go more than 12 months without a service so i am paying to look after my car.

PS: i suppose many don't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yep. I see 2 years is plenty close enough too.

Not if you get your car serviced every year like myself. I won't let it go more than 12 months without a service so i am paying to look after my car.

Exactly. You have never met my brother with his old mazda. Thank christ for the NCT and cars like being tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

By that logic then all cars should be tested, every year, once they're more than 12 months old.

A 9 yr +364 day old car does not become a banger overnight.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Col200sx wrote: »

Title amended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

when you pay to get a car serviced, they'll change the oil and the spark plugs etc, but wont be inspecting the whole car like the NCT do. You only get what you pay for at a service. servicing a car alone is not sufficent to ensure it is safe

galwaytt wrote: »
    By that logic then all cars should be tested, every year, once they're more than 12 months old.

A 9 yr +364 day old car does not become a banger overnight.......

I think they should. Not sure they've have the manpower/infrastructure for a while yet.

In the UK it's every 12 months, for all cars three years old and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Meh.... DOE is ever year at €87 a test. Newest car I've had was 8 years old at the time. Doesn't bother me too much!

This proposed tractor testing lark that rag of a newspaper also states though.... Ruined by a few muppets as per norm :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Because it's a bullsh!t test, and cars do not suddenly go from good to bad when they are 10 years old.

My car is 12 years old with just 42000 miles on it. It failed it's last NCT in October because of a loose fog lamp housing screw, which I fixed in 10 seconds.

Now all the kids are safe....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

And where do you get "half an hour" from??

It's about 3 hours for me when you factor in driving there and back.

Use common sense please - we don't all live 1 minutes from an NCT centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

You're dead right on that one, and it is exactly the reason why it should be an annual test. The fact that so many Irish people see the NCT as an expensive waste of money is proof that it is necessary - without the NCT the vast majority of people simply wouldn't bother giving their cars anything even resembling maintenance.

At least with an NCT every two years, it guarantees that all cars on the roads receive at least some level of maintenance every two years, nowhere near enough of course, but, compared to the bad old days when there were no NCTs, and cars were held together with binder twine, it's a LOT better than nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem with the Nct is that the online system gives a date 3 months ahead. I tried to book two cars and both were given dates in April.

Another problem is that 25% of 4 year old cars fail their first Nct.

I think all cars should be tested every year. This would provide a record of the cars mileage and make clocking a thing of the past. It would also keep tabs on tyre and brake condition, together with lights.

Having the current 4 year and ten year difference give rise to a sudden fall in the price of cars that approach those magic ages. If all cars were tested every year, then it is a non issue.

It also puts an emphasis on routine maintenance, which will only improve tge condition and value of the stock of cars.

The only other improvement would be to require an Nct prior to offering a car for sale.

I think they should. Not sure they've have the manpower/infrastructure for a while yet.

In the UK it's every 12 months, for all cars three years old and over.

What they do/dont do in the Uk is completely irrelevant. Freedom from outrageous VRT and motor tax, plus better infrastructure means people are quite willing, and are able to afford to, mind their cars better.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Freedom from outrageous VRT and motor tax, plus better infrastructure means people are quite willing, and are able to afford to, mind their cars better.

This is perverse logic. If people are less willing or less able to afford to look after their cars here then there is more need for a NCT, not less.

Having the current 4 year and ten year difference give rise to a sudden fall in the price of cars that approach those magic ages. If all cars were tested every year, then it is a non issue.

Your Govt disagrees: it has changed a perfectly functioning annual vehicle registration system to a 6 MONTH cycle because it believes a 6 month cycle will affect values - in the positive....more delusion.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Yes it is a good idea but what the primetime investigates programme discovered how some of the nct tests were conducted makes me realize that this test isnt just to decrease the number of bangers from our roads. Put a few cash notes on steering wheel and hey presto your car passed the nct and it isnt roadworthy.

What they do/dont do in the Uk is completely irrelevant. Freedom from outrageous VRT and motor tax, plus better infrastructure means people are quite willing, and are able to afford to, mind their cars better.

Agree.
    I wouldn't mind NCT even every 6 months, but I would love to see motor tax and VRT abolished.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Yes it is a good idea but what the primetime investigates programme discovered how some of the nct tests were conducted makes me realize that this test isnt just to decrease the number of bangers from our roads. Put a few cash notes on steering wheel and hey presto your car passed the nct and it isnt roadworthy.

No system is perfect.
    I also wasn't too happy when NCT diagnosed that my brakes were just slightly under the limits to fail, while in fact they were perfect. I must have been NCT machine wrongly calibrated.

But few odd cases of incompetence doesn't make the whole system wrong.

ardmacha wrote: »

This is perverse logic. If people are less willing or less able to afford to look after their cars here then there is more need for a NCT, not less.

That's not why NCT is resented. It's because it's seen by some as yet another source of motoring taxation.
    That has nothing to do with any 'culture' of minding their cars.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Agree.
    I wouldn't mind NCT even every 6 months, but I would love to see motor tax and VRT abolished.

6 months, cmon thats bloody ridiculous, why not every month, or every week, a car could become dangerous from one day to the next if something happened.
    So shift VRT and motor tax to increased testing costs?
    The nct isnt a cert of roadworthiness, Ive been failed once on a stupid thing and then after cleaning off rust (dirt) passed days later?? Im all for the NCT but the current intervals are fine, reducing the interval further really would be a scam.

You could have the best road-infrastructure in the world with the lowest tax rates, and you'd still get people who couldn't give a sheet about their cars, or safety. I personally know a few.

I was using the UK as an example. They usually do motoring better over there. Even here in Eire in the boom years, you'd be hard pressed to find a car with a full documented FSH. Money wasn't an excuse then when new car sales soared. We still weren't the best to look after them, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The nct can't cope with their current workload. I have a car due testing end of march. I've been trying to organise an early test. The first test available within 50 miles is on the 10th of april. This is a car tested less than 1500 miles ago.

2 stroke wrote: »
    The nct can't cope with their current workload. I have a car due testing end of march. I've been trying to organise an early test. The first test available within 50 miles is on the 10th of april. This is a car tested less than 1500 miles ago.

Tell them that you are requestion a test withing 28 days.
    If they won't be able to provide it, you will get your test for free.
    But in fact you won't - they will provide you with an appointment withing 28 days once you request it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

2 stroke wrote: »

How far in advance of the due date did you book a test?

Stheno wrote: »

If his car is due end of March so he must have booked 1.5 months in advance or more.

Seems plenty of time for average thinking person - but no - NCT needs more time seemingly :P

Anyway - once your car can be tested 3 months in advance, it is possible to ring them few months ahead of that and book a test for first possible date (exactly 3 months before due date).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

You know you can buy brand new car and after 6 months crash it pretty badly and then get it fixed as cheap as possible at some backstreet garage without any standard control and then resell that pile of wreck to some other poor punter.
    In cases like this it makes a lot of sense to have cars tested annually from new.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have a car thats due an NCT every year, as its 33 years old. It has just under 5000 miles on the clock. Its very well looked after. Dry stored, and nearly massaged every time I go near it!

I brought it in for an NCT recently and it failed because the wipers were rusty (read chrome, outdoors, gets tainted), the back cushion on the rear seat wasnt mounted (never were in these cars), so you can basically lift it out if you want, and, the last part was the best, also because they were unable to test its suspension as it was too light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Stheno wrote: »
    I am trying to book 6 weeks in advance. Taxed it in december for 3 months. I don't want to drive it again until summer. I would like to get it tested, and if necessary, retested, before tax expires at the end of february.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are not enough test centres as they currently work 7 days a week and 8 am till 10pm some days a week.

What is needed is a second supplier that will operate on a different basis - say 'test on demand' or some such basis so a test can be got within a reasonable time without upsetting the current supplier. It is ridiculous that tests are offered at over two months in advance as a normal way of doing business, despite the regulations that require the supplier to give tests within 28 days.

If road-tax was removed, it would add 50c to a litre of petrol. Heavy road users would pay more, light users would pay less. Tourists and NI 'visitors' would pay more. Otherwise, Road Tax could be collected with the insurance, so reducing the cost of collection and increasing compliance (for those that insure).

antodeco wrote: »
    I have a car thats due an NCT every year, as its 33 years old. It has just under 5000 miles on the clock. Its very well looked after. Dry stored, and nearly massaged every time I go near it!

I brought it in for an NCT recently and it failed because the wipers were rusty (read chrome, outdoors, gets tainted), the back cushion on the rear seat wasnt mounted (never were in these cars), so you can basically lift it out if you want, and, the last part was the best, also because they were unable to test its suspension as it was too light.

what you should say is that remarkably the car passed, it's rubber parts hadn't perished too badly, it's brake pipes hadn't corroded too seriously and it's shock absorber seals hadn't yet started leaking.(etc) How would you know this was the case unless it was tested, notwithstanding 5000 miles on the clock?

• Advertisement

There are not enough test centres as they currently work 7 days a week and 8 am till 10pm some days a week.

What is needed is a second supplier that will operate on a different basis - say 'test on demand' or some such basis so a test can be got within a reasonable time without upsetting the current supplier. It is ridiculous that tests are offered at over two months in advance as a normal way of doing business, despite the regulations that require the supplier to give tests within 28 days.

If road-tax was removed, it would add 50c to a litre of petrol. Heavy road users would pay more, light users would pay less. Tourists and NI 'visitors' would pay more. Otherwise, Road Tax could be collected with the insurance, so reducing the cost of collection and increasing compliance (for those that insure).

what would in faact happen is more people would go cross border for fuel and more people would find illegal supplies which would become easier to obtain.Net result, a loss of revenue to the Government and an increase becoming necessary from 50c to €1 perhaps.

corktina wrote: »
    what would in fact happen is more people would go cross border for fuel and more people would find illegal supplies which would become easier to obtain.Net result, a loss of revenue to the Government and an increase becoming necessary from 50c to €1 perhaps.

Probably true for some near the border.

I am not suggesting such a scheme, just pointing out the scale of price rise needed to recoup road tax from petrol. It need not be done in one step but gradually over a number of years. NI could also do the same, but it might have problems with the rest of the UK as there is one rate of road tax for the whole of the UK.

Bobo78 wrote: »
    You know you can buy brand new car and after 6 months crash it pretty badly and then get it fixed as cheap as possible at some backstreet garage without any standard control and then resell that pile of wreck to some other poor punter.
    In cases like this it makes a lot of sense to have cars tested annually from new.

In cases like that (newer higher value cars) a technical report/inspection should be sought, something i think a seller should provide and either take into account in the vehicle cost or split the cost with the actual buyer.
    corktina wrote: »
    what would in faact happen is more people would go cross border for fuel and more people would find illegal supplies which would become easier to obtain.Net result, a loss of revenue to the Government and an increase becoming necessary from 50c to €1 perhaps.

A small geographical location with two political centres and different revenue systems doesnt make sense,
    I suggest NI takes over, our own crowd are proven incompetents,
    the benefit is we get their motor tax system, there will be some downsides too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And where do you get "half an hour" from??

It's about 3 hours for me when you factor in driving there and back.

Use common sense please - we don't all live 1 minutes from an NCT centre.

2 hours for me in test centre
    Booked in at 7pm got it back just after 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

It should be annually on any car older than 2 years, however the fee should be cut to 30 euros and some items removed from the test that are a waste of time. Most important things, headlamp alignment, tyres, visual on brakefluid and leaks, drive onto roller for pulling left, pulling right and brake test, seatbelts present, all warning lights on dash operate normally, no play in steering. 10 minutes work, cant be more than 30e worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

In New Zealand they do a test every 6 months i think.

Just sayin`

lomb wrote: »
    It should be annually on any car older than 2 years, however the fee should be cut to 30 euros and some items removed from the test that are a waste of time. Most important things, headlamp alignment, tyres, visual on brakefluid and leaks, drive onto roller for pulling left, pulling right and brake test, seatbelts present, all warning lights on dash operate normally, no play in steering. 10 minutes work, cant be more than 30e worth.

What items exactly you mean to be waste of time?
    Give at least few examples please.

In New Zealand they do a test every 6 months i think.

Just sayin`

Do you have a link? 6 months is ridiculously short
    Should be annual, and then defects such as lights (misaligned/fogs) or others policed vigorously on a spot check basis, any car with these obvious failures will likely have others too, maybe tyres.

Whats the argument/basis for 6 monthly intervals???
    If its that a major defect could happen in that time, well then 6 months wont cover that, a major defect could occur in an incident in any given day, if it was 6 months, then people would call for 3 months, if you are driving a vehicle on the road you have the responsibility to ensure it is roadworthy, if anything happens you ensure its sorted, otherwise suffer penalties.

Shortening the interval to ridiculous levels is a nanny state excuse to milk car testing, and suggests people cant do this themselves, which they should.

Just check your lights/tyres weekly/forthightly, any incidents check it, hit a pothole, check the car feels the same, does it drive the same? turn the affected side steering lock to lock and visually look at the wishbone/components, check bulbs, light alignment.
    If someone cant do that then get/pay someone to look at it.

So, whats the argument for reduced intervals?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

lomb wrote: »
    I agree.
    What items exactly you mean to be waste of time?
    Give at least few examples please.

May I?

- windscreen washers
    - e-marks on glass
    - speedometer
    - electrical system
    - transmission & drive train
    - rear fog lamps
    - reverse lamps.

joujoujou wrote: »

- windscreen washers
    Did you ever drive in the winter on gritted wet road?
    Without windscreen washers after 5 minutes you won't be able to see anything.
    - e-marks on glass
    I don't know about them. However front windscreen should be laminated - maybe that what e-marks are for.
    - speedometer
    Might come in handy.
    I know it's possible to drive without it, but I would prefer that anyone on the road had one.
    - electrical system
    What exactly do you mean by that?
    Without electrical system modern car won't work.
    - transmission & drive train
    As far as I know it's not checked.
    - rear fog lamps
    They are not needed unless there is a fog.
    In the dense fog they can be a life saver and everyone should have them and use them.
    - reverse lamps.
    How are you going to see what's behind you when reversing in pitch black?
    How someone else is going to see that you are reversin?

All those things are needed for normal motoring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement