Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on start up rod, reel etc

Options
  • 14-02-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I am going to give fishing a go. I've always wanted to and as there are plenty of places to fish in Roscommon, the time is now.

Firstly I'd like advice on equipment to start up. Rods, reels etc. I thought I'd try Pike, Bream, as that's what is in Donamon, Roscommon where I live. If you could give me makes, models and prices of the equipment that would be great.

Regards

Comments

Go and watch the guys fishing and see which style you prefer. Bream fishing is sedentary and pike will probably involve spinning and walking along the river.

Makes are not important to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

My advice would be, rather than spending a fortune on new gear pick up some good gear second hand* rather than cheap stuff new. If you stick at it it will last you years and if not it should be fairly easy to sell on.

Also Angling show this weekend in Swords is well worth going to. Always a few bargains going and some top class anglers giving talks on fishing. Plenty of ''Where to '' and ''How to'' ligature to be picked free for the novice and not so novice :)

I still use my first beach rod I bought second hand in the very early ninety's, a Daiwa HPB. Can still match most new stuff. Was £80 back then but has paid me back many times since.

Tight lines and fair winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

i would recommend you to team up with some other anglers - check out few types of angling (possibly using their rods and reels or at least advice) to see what suits you. As there is so many types of angling and associated gear that it is hard to tell (some heaviest pike lures would be heavier than some coarse fish you will catch on float). Most versatile if you want to start from scratch would be in my opinion spinnning rod of medium to fast action and casting weight of 10-30 or 20-60g sort of range. It should allow you for spinning, maybe some deadbaiting (with great care on short distances as you will be exceeding casting weight ) and coarse fishing with swinger arm as bite detector. Maybe something from blackrock/rovex range?
    For few years i was using 2 fishing rods for all my angling (17euro emerald spinning one 2.7m other 3.0m) they were heavy and wasn't perfect but i was reasonably happy with them. Now I have over dozen of more expensive rods and looking forward for angling exhibition as i need 1 or 2 more to cover some techniques.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

MarcinG wrote: »
    i would recommend you to team up with some other anglers - check out few types of angling (possibly using their rods and reels or at least advice) to see what suits you. As there is so many types of angling and associated gear that it is hard to tell (some heaviest pike lures would be heavier than some coarse fish you will catch on float). Most versatile if you want to start from scratch would be in my opinion spinnning rod of medium to fast action and casting weight of 10-30 or 20-60g sort of range. It should allow you for spinning, maybe some deadbaiting (with great care on short distances as you will be exceeding casting weight ) and coarse fishing with swinger arm as bite detector. Maybe something from blackrock/rovex range?
    For few years i was using 2 fishing rods for all my angling (17euro emerald spinning one 2.7m other 3.0m) they were heavy and wasn't perfect but i was reasonably happy with them. Now I have over dozen of more expensive rods and looking forward for angling exhibition as i need 1 or 2 more to cover some techniques.. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to give advice.

Advertisement