Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOI and Visa Duration

Options
  • 14-02-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding this on the megathread so I thought I'd ask it on a fresh thread.

Is the date on the LOI the latest date for which you can leave the country (ie, you get your LOI in February, it's valid till 2015, you leave in January 2014 and you can stay in Canada on your IEC visa until January 2016) or is it a case that the date is the date on which your visa expires (ie, you get your LOI in February, it's valid till 2015, you leave in January 2014 and you can stay in the Canada on the visa until February 2015)?

I haven't been able to find anything on the websites indicating either or, if someone who's done the IEC before could state once and for all which it is that's de great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

If you get your LOI on the 1st Feb 2013, then you have until the 1st Feb 2014 to activate it (a year to activate it), once activated it will then last another year (or two depending on the visa)

So you could travel to Canada, activate it on the 20th January 2014 and then have a year from that date, meaning your visa would expire on the 19th January 2015 (or 2016 for 2 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Thans for that! It seems that the LOIs are valid for two years this year (ie if it's granted today you have until 14-12-15 to leave the country...) but either way that clears it up nicely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

I posted this question on fb as well and your visa starts from the day you enter Canada which makes sense if you get your Loi today and didn't enter till say October you'd only have 4 months on the 1 year visa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

giggii wrote: »
    Thans for that! It seems that the LOIs are valid for two years this year (ie if it's granted today you have until 14-12-15 to leave the country...) but either way that clears it up nicely! :)

I don't think that's true. Even though any work visas granted this year are for 24 months you still only have 12 months to activate them.

bopper wrote: »
    I don't think that's true. Even though any work visas granted this year are for 24 months you still only have 12 months to activate them.

Well that's what I saw on a post on the megathread. Someone got their LOI stating that it's valid until Feb'15, that's where my confusion was... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

giggii wrote: »
    Well that's what I saw on a post on the megathread. Someone got their LOI stating that it's valid until Feb'15, that's where my confusion was... :/

Oh well maybe that is the case so. I didn't realise the LOIs had already started coming through.

bopper wrote: »
    Oh well maybe that is the case so. I didn't realise the LOIs had already started coming through.

I know, it's crazy, especially when there are so many people still waiting on the conditional acceptance!! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Lads I've a buddy who works in a section of Canada Immigration and I was on to him to clarify so 100% answer here.

-Date on LOI is time you have to ACTIVATE your work permit.

-Your 24 months start on the day you ENTER Canada and visa is activated.

-And you must leave the country within 90 days AFTER the expiry of your visa.

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    Lads I've a buddy who works in a section of Canada Immigration and I was on to him to clarify so 100% answer here.

-Date on LOI is time you have to ACTIVATE your work permit.

-Your 24 months start on the day you ENTER Canada and visa is activated.

-And you must leave the country within 90 days AFTER the expiry of your visa.

That's fantastic, thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Aliana

Here is a screenshot of my LOI which states that I have until Feb 2015 to enter?

• Advertisement
Advertisement