Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask to sign a contract?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been in my current job for about 18 months. I started about 2 hours after my interview, as the position had to be filled urgently. Most of the management were on holidays / at conferences for the first few weeks, and I was never actually asked to sign a contract, although everyone presumes I have signed one.

I want to know if it is in my interest to sign a contract or not - I know it probably depends on what is in the contract, but I'm just looking for a general answer. I always thought employers only issued a contract to protect themselves.

The reason this has been on my mind recently is that I have been asked to change my working hours to 9.00am to 5.30pm. When I started, it was agreed (verbally) that I could start anytime between 8.30 and 9.00, and then finish between 5.00 and 5.30. so I normally start about 8.40 and finish at 5.10.

I am planning to make the point to my employer that if they want to change the terms, I want my salary to be reviewed. I was given a low starting salary when I started the job, and was told that the resources were limited, but there would be a review at the end of the financial year.

The review never happened, and I did receive a 2% increase, but it was company wide.

Basically, I just want to know where I stand on these issues, and give myself some leverage when it comes to looking for a pay increase.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Your start & end times (as opposed to number of hours you work) might well be considered a working practice not a contractual clause. In which case they could change them regardless if you have a signed contract or not, though some employers might have arrangements with staff that it has to be agreed with the union etc.

If you don't have a signed contract, then a contract is assumed to be in place with all the statutory minimum stuff - e.g. notice period, annual leave etc.

You don't have to have a signed contract, but you must have a written statement of your employment terms. See here.

If you are looking for more cash, I'd be emphasising your value to the company, not that you want compensation for working slightly different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eoin wrote: »
    Your start & end times (as opposed to number of hours you work) might well be considered a working practice not a contractual clause. In which case they could change them regardless if you have a signed contract or not, though some employers might have arrangements with staff that it has to be agreed with the union etc.

If you don't have a signed contract, then a contract is assumed to be in place with all the statutory minimum stuff - e.g. notice period, annual leave etc.

You don't have to have a signed contract, but you must have a written statement of your employment terms. See here.

If you are looking for more cash, I'd be emphasising your value to the company, not that you want compensation for working slightly different times.

Thanks, your post makes a lot of sense, I'm not too worried about the contract thing now, I guess I'll just have to work out a deal regarding the working hours.

I've never really been in a situation where I've been looking for an increase before, so I wasn't sure on how to approach. But you're right - I feel I've brought a lot to the company, and I have the figures to back it up, so thats definitely a more positive way to approach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

A lot of the problems highlighted on this forum occur because of work contract ambiguity. Your employer is obliged to give you one as stated above. If I was you, perhaps now is the time to put pen to paper. And all those customs and practices which have germinated over the last 18 months, get them in there now also. Terms and conditions put in stone are probably worth more than another 2% increase.

Advertisement