Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing this time of year

Options
  • 14-02-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

is it much good flyfishing this time of year i was going to do a bit of fishing in the morning and i was thinking would i get much this time of year on the fly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fishing in a fishery is it? Or pike fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Not for trout unless in a fishery.
    Like dodder said, pike on the fly is great sport.
    I went out last year specifically targeting Perch on light fly gear. Used normal stockie trout lures, great day. Perch every second or third cast with some notable ones. Great scrappers on the light gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

I've been getting the odd roach and rudd on the Canals. Its very hit and miss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Not for trout unless in a fishery.
    Like dodder said, pike on the fly is great sport.
    I went out last year specifically targeting Perch on light fly gear. Used normal stockie trout lures, great day. Perch every second or third cast with some notable ones. Great scrappers on the light gear.

When does trout angling open in the Dublin region? The Corrib and most rivers in the west open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

viper123 wrote: »

When does trout angling open in the Dublin region? The Corrib and most rivers in the west open today.
    Afaik rivers is march and paddys day
    Lakes I think is first of march
    Corrib probably starts today because of the trout in it as there's plenty in it
    Most places have to get stocked
    Should be getting stocked now and not the day before the season starts like most places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

rivers open march 1st, some lakes open 15th of feb ie mask and corrib, lough ree is march 1st,think derg is march 1st too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Never thought of Corrib/Mask. Forgot about the early open season there.
    Must get over this year, 2004 is the ladt time I fished Corrib:eek:

Advertisement