Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumper's Bump

Options
  • 14-02-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

Seems my girl injured herself and has something called Jumper's Bump. Not looking for medical advice as I have a vet and more to treat her but just wondering has anyone here ever seen it before and what was the outcome?

I'd never heard of it before. My vet seems to think she will be fine but the road to recovery will be long...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Have heard of it - Valentina but don't know much more appart from Chriro sessions are very effective & some horses will be right as rain after treatment but it will affect Visable confirmation>
    Also a pretty strict low impact exersise plan upon diagnosis is key otherwise long term affects will happen.
    Wishing you all the luck & hope your girl is ok:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Thanks Marley. She is young and the vet sees no reason she won't make a full recovery. She got an injection for pain and inflammation and will be starting massage therapy and chiro sessions soon. We are leaving her off work for a couple of weeks and then will start some gentle work but no riding for either of us for sometime :o

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I've never heard of jumper's bump. Can you explain it? ta!

Am meeting the vet again tomorrow so can post back with more detail then but my understanding is that it's an injury to the pelvis/hip area where the ilium shifts out of place and causes a noticeable bump. My vet says it's often caused by a horse coming to an abrupt stop causing the hindquarters to give way under the horse. She probably had an old injury to the same area before I got her but this mishap just pushed it over the edge. Scar tissue sometimes forms over the damaged area so she may be left with a permanent bump but that remains to be seen. Most horses make a full recovery from it so I'm very hopeful our outcome will be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's really just what Valentina described. The ligaments holding the pelvis in place tear and the pelvis is pushed out of place. It usually only happens after a previous injury, which means the ligaments were already weak.
    Have you asked your vet about chiropractic work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 KazNCD

Ohhh very interesting, my first horse had something similar, not sure if it was exactly jumpers bump but he had a large hump in his back. He was an ex National Hunt horse so would have done plenty of jumping and fast work. He had it when I gave him a home, I got some work done by and osteopath who made huge difference to his movement

http://centaurusosteo.com/blog - scroll down to racehorse rehab to see more details on it. It might be of some use to you

I can highly recommend this osteo if you are thinking of getting work done, she has worked on a few friends horses at this stage with excellent results for everyone.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Have you asked your vet about chiropractic work?

Yep she is starting chiro and massage therapy next week.

Advertisement