Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mower bearing

Options
  • 14-02-2013 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm about to buy a taarup 306 conditioner mower, which needs a bearing replaced in the mower bed.

Is this a big job?

jo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Make sure it is just a bearing!

I don't think the bed in the Tarrup 306 is modular like the Kuhn bed, so it may need a lot of stripping to get to the bearing you need. Not a big deal unless you are paying a man to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

maidhc wrote: »
    Make sure it is just a bearing!

I don't think the bed in the Tarrup 306 is modular like the Kuhn bed, so it may need a lot of stripping to get to the bearing you need. Not a big deal unless you are paying a man to do it.
    You have to take the bed off the mower then take the gear casing out of frame and then remove 40 or so bolts to open it.
    Do you know which bearing is worn?
    If its the one under the first disc that drive shaft bolts to it could be worn splines on the shaft/gear.
    The crown and pinion wheel in the gearbox gave trouble as well.
    This a kuhn bed with taarup discs (not modular) kuhn dealer is cheaper than taarup for the bearings.
    I've a 307 here that i'd sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Big enough job alright, will have to split the bed top from bottom. Easiest way is to remove the bed from the mower and work at a comfortable height for yourself. Most likely the bolts will be worn away so will end up cutting most of them off. Only did once but I replaced the full bearing set and moved it on fairly lively after that. Much less hassle from a bearing going in a Kuhn or JD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm about to buy a taarup 306 conditioner mower, which needs a bearing replaced in the mower bed.

Is this a big job?

jo

I think I'd leave it where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

If the bearing is that badly worn it has a fair bit of work done leave it where it is better off spending a bit more on a newer mower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭himwdah

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

Is this a big job?

jo

u know too much about it already, id say parts to make it worthwhile time ie a full bearing set is price of mower.

Advertisement