Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man living in tent on the roadside in dubin

• 14-02-2013 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Has any one else noticed the large man wearing a high vis who is living in a tent on the grass at the junction at Constitution Hill, Phibsboro. Across the road from the Maxol garage.

He has a small tent set up there and appears to be using the trees as storage. He is not hidden at all he is right on the roadside beside the path.

I've seen him every day for around 2 weeks now from the bus. Sometimes he is dancing aggresively, sort of like the NZ hakka.

He seems to be off his trolly, surely social services/garda have noticed him by now. He would be very intimidating to passing pedestrians.

Thing is, no one seems to pay him any mind.

Anyone seen this? Surely the guy needs help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

RADIUS wrote: »
    Has any one else noticed the large man wearing a high vis who is living in a tent on the grass at the junction at Constitution Hill, Phibsboro. Across the road from the Maxol garage.

He has a small tent set up there and appears to be using the trees as storage. He is not hidden at all he is right on the roadside bedside the path.

I've seen him every day for around 2 weeks now from the bus, Sometimes he is dancing aggresively, sort of like the NZ hakka.

He seems to be off his trolly, surely social services/garda have noticec him by now. He would be very intimidating to passing pedestrians.

he's probably completely harmless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

he's probably completely harmless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

occupy junction at constitution hill, phibsboro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

There are lots of homeless people, heroin addicts and off their trolley people around and nobody minds these. The only thing that sets him apart from the rest is that he has a tent and some stuff. What do you want the guards to do, take his tent and his stuff so he can live under a bridge like a "normal" homeless person?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

What are the odds that he has an iphone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Hasn't the weather in Ireland been awful? The poor man sounds mentally ill. You should call social services and the Simon Community to go out and offer him some help. He needs to be off the street for his own safety as well as that of passersby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

he is dancing aggresively, sort of like the NZ hakka.

Any minute now a load of bums will jump out naked doing the Harlem Shuffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭DaithiMa

A large man doing the haka... Someone give Declan Kidney a shout quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

He has a golden radio voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

There are lots of homeless people, heroin addicts and off their trolley people around and nobody minds these. The only thing that sets him apart from the rest is that he has a tent and some stuff. What do you want the guards to do, take his tent and his stuff so he can live under a bridge like a "normal" homeless person?

Not at all. I am just suprised he has not been taken into care and has essentially taken over a public footpath for the past few weeks. I am considering calling a charity about him and wanted to ask if any one else has noticed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Looks like Bertie needs another dig-out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

He's been there a lot longer than the last two weeks but I've never seen him dance, never seen him hassle anyone and I've walked by him dozens of times without bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

How large is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Jesus, that's in-tents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Maybe he is just camping

latenia wrote: »
    How large is he?

Smaller than a horse-sized duck. 10/10 would fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aggiem

He's been there many months by now and he has never hassled anyone. I pass that way on my way to work and back everyday and I see him. He's no danger to anyone, so stop trying to create a problem where none exists.

Aggiem wrote: »
    He's been there many months by now and he has never hassled anyone. I pass that way on my way to work and back everyday and I see him. He's no danger to anyone, so stop trying to create a problem where none exists.

Whoa there, I am merely concerned for the man so no need for the hostility. What problem am I creating asking after a fellow human being that's obviously in a bad situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Whoa there, I am merely concerned for the man so no need for the hostility
    Of course there is a need for hostility. You're on boards, home of the the self appointed righteous warriors. Post at your peril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Not at all. I am just suprised he has not been taken into care and has essentially taken over a public footpath for the past few weeks. I am considering calling a charity about him and wanted to ask if any one else has noticed him.
    Probably in both his and our best interest if you take up a form of sport, or an active interest in collectibles and leave the poor sod alone.

Not everyone "wants" to be helped/rescued. Some just want to be left alone.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    Of course there is a need for hostility. You're on boards, home of the the self appointed righteous warriors. Post at your peril

I'm not a self-appointed righteous warrior, it is my manifest destiny. Anyway, what's it to you?

Pottler wrote: »
    Probably in both his and our best interest if you take up a form of sport, or an active interest in collectibles and leave the poor sod alone.

Why the snide comment? I have a hobby, its called work. I was just asking if any one has noticed him. Am I not allowed notice people in my own city now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

He has a small tent set up there and appears to be using the trees as storage. He is not hidden at all he is right on the roadside beside the path.

I've seen him every day for around 2 weeks now from the bus. Sometimes he is dancing aggresively, sort of like the NZ hakka.

He seems to be off his trolly, surely social services/garda have noticed him by now. He would be very intimidating to passing pedestrians.

The two bits in bold are exclusive of each other no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

People talk about the guy
    Who's waiting on a girl, oh whoa
    There are no holes in his shoes
    But a big hole in his world

Maybe I'll get famous as the man who can't be moved
    And maybe you won't mean to but you'll see me on the news
    And you'll come running to the corner
    'Cause you'll know it's just for you

I'm the man who can't be moved
    I'm the man who can't be moved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Whoa there, I am merely concerned for the man so no need for the hostility. What problem am I creating asking after a fellow human being that's obviously in a bad situation?

Perhaps the Honourable Benchers of the adjacent Kings Inn's may be in a position to,without predjudice,offer some pertinent advice to this fellow,assuming that is,he is'nt one of their number already.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Why the snide comment? I have a hobby, its called work. I was just asking if any one has noticed him. Am I not allowed notice people in my own city now?

There's a couple of charities with outreach teams in the city, they probally know him already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That's true, and fair enough. But I'd be concerned about him (or anyone) being out in all weathers. I don't know what the weather is like there right now but it's snowy here in Holland. At the very least, a heads up to a homelessness charity would get him checked up on to make sure he doesn't end up an iced hobopop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He would be very intimidating to passing pedestrians.

Must not be that intimidating then.

Does anyone know if that 'homeless' guy still lives in UCD? Fcuker used to get 3 meals a day and a place to lie down in peace there!

The two bits in bold are exclusive of each other no?
    I meant that no one on the bus seems to notice him .

• Advertisement

"Off his trolley" "surely the garda would have noticed him". And I'm the schnide? MYOB much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

He's probably just a boy scout, is he wearing a woggle with badges on his arm?

Feck sake, you can't even pitch a tent beside the footpath and practice the Hake these days without people looking to do a "pretty woman" number on you.

If you're that bothered about him Radius, nip over and give him a few bob to buy a dinner. If you complain and draw attention to him, the guards will have to act and evict him - he'll have to find somwhere else to pitch up, then someone else will "help" him and he'll get moved on again.

They do say moving home is one of the most stressful events in peoples lives. Why add to his stress levels? It's probably hard enough for him to remember the dance moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OP doesn't cycle by any chance? giving out about a pedestrian on the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Spook_ie wrote: »
    OP doesn't cycle by any chance? giving out about a pedestrian on the footpath

FFS let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Does anyone know if that 'homeless' guy still lives in UCD? Fcuker used to get 3 meals a day and a place to lie down in peace there!

You talking about the guy with the tent in the wooded area, kind of visible from the road, just after the flyover bridge if you're going into town via the N11?

I can still see the tent there alright, I can't quite recall if it's still pitched or upside down in a bush. I'll check tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

MadsL wrote: »

I'm not a self-appointed righteous warrior, it is my manifest destiny. Anyway, what's it to you?
    Meh

Well that escalated quickly. I won't bother posting on AH anymore seems everything I say somehow is completely misunderstood and construed in the worst way possible.

Some real negative hostile people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

He's still around. Never saw him speaking to anyone.

By most accounts he is a former Maths professor/ ex student genius/ once saved a girl from being raped.

Seems like a homeless man can't just be a regular Joe, these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Well that escalated quickly. I won't bother posting on AH anymore seems everything I say somehow is completely misunderstood and construed in the worst way possible.

Some real negative hostile people on here.

Izf6ylt.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Feck sake, you can't even pitch a tent beside the footpath and practice the Hake these days without people looking to do a "pretty woman" number on you.

Cmon mate, thats a bit fishy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I've seen him, and I've also seen the tent and the stuff in the trees. Tbh I had no idea he was actually living there, I get the bus by there in the mornings and anytime I see him I always assume he works for the council because of the hi-vis. That does explain all of the stuff in the trees though, it looks a bit weird!

I've seen him, and I've also seen the tent and the stuff in the trees. Tbh I had no idea he was actually living there, I get the bus by there in the mornings and anytime I see him I always assume he works for the council because of the hi-vis. That does explain all of the stuff in the trees though, it looks a bit weird!

man in woods
    O.o

tent
    O.o

clothes hanging on trees
    O.o

high vis jacket..

oh, a council worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

OP,

I have seen him every other day like yourself. Before he pitched up there I used to see him walk up and down constitution hill either talking to himself or dancing. He must be getting help from someone with food. It is obvious he has a mental illness of some sort. He looks like he recently got that tent as I think he used to sit under his made up tent under the trees....

He used to have an illuminious jacket which I thought he was one of those Herald paper sellers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

He's been there for at least the last 8 months or so. I was working just off Dominick Street, so would pass by at least twice a day.

He's clearly mentally ill but he keeps himself to himself, keeps his patch tidy and I've never seen him accost anyone (although he does dance, sing and pray loudly from time to time). In fact, when he's walking around in the circles he does around that little patch of grass, he will often go back in the opposite direction if someone is coming his way. I would imagine he's well known to homeless agencies in the city.

Around the time that guy was shot near the Western Way a few months ago, there was a rumour that he had been shot too. I got talking to one of the locals from the flats on Constitution Hill about him once, who said that the valet place at the top of Dominick Street often give him food but he rarely takes it from anyone else who tries to offer it to him.

His name is Emmanuel, I believe.

Sacksian wrote: »
    His name is Emmanuel, I believe.
    :eek:

John 4:10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In view of this weak nation-states appallingly bad record in "intervening" in peoples lives, witness our appalling record on the care of the mentally ill, people not "respected" by society, such as the residents of the magdalene Laundries, orphanages etc and he is better off left alone.

This vipers pit is simply not able to take care of the weak members of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

As long as he doesn't stop me in the street, block my path, try to shake my hand, and explain that he just needs a few quid so he can get a train ticket back home.....

I'm happy enough to leave him alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

hames wrote: »
    man in woods
    O.o

tent
    O.o

clothes hanging on trees
    O.o

high vis jacket..

oh, a council worker.

Haha, tbh I didn't pay that much attention to him, it's just that when I get the bus by there it's on weekday mornings when I see all the council cleaners around town so I just assumed he was one as well. This does explain why the trees were never tidy though, I sometimes wondered how they'd manage to have those things shoved in there every day and how they'd be there every morning. I thought someone was trying to wreck a council cleaners head! haha. Yeah, anyway, now I know in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Went back to post after searching and the thread was closed FFS:rolleyes:

I knew a thread had been done about this guy not so long ago:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Somehow we missed this one.

This is not the Dublin forum ffs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement