Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxfam Ireland 'no discount' policy

• 14-02-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Hi all.

I was in the Oxfam shop just off Parnell Street in Dublin yesterday. Having rifled through some books and music I went up to pay for a few things and asked for a euro off the total price. They told me they couldn't do that and pointed at a sign above the counter that read 'no discounts-please don't ask' or something like that.

Now, I know some of the proceeds of each sale go to charity, but I think it's a bit insulting to have a sign stating that it's not ok to ask for a discount when you buy a few things. Shoppers ask for a few quid off their total in lots of other shops around town but I haven't ever seen a sign like this one anywhere else.

Also, I thought it was a big part of the fun of shopping in charity shops that you can haggle with the staff, have a bit of banter and come out with a bargain and a good feeling having supported your local charity.

I know lots of you will disagree but I just think it's a bit, eh.. rich :)

I'll send my old clothes, music and books elsewhere in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Probably because people have taken the piss, and have asked for massive discounts. If you let one person have a discount, but not the other person who is part of a special minority, you get sued for discrimination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Their stuff is so cheap that it's a discount in itself TBH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

zipzoc wrote: »
    haggle with the staff, have a bit of banter and come out with a bargain and a good feeling having supported your local charity.

Haggling, banter = pain in the ass for the staff.
    Wouldn't you get a better feeling paying the prices asked?

Perhaps car boot sales are more your thing?

And why the hell is this in the Construction forum?????????

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

MadsL wrote: »

Why the hell indeed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Sorry about that! I saw 'prices/costs' and thought it was a section of Boards for general price/cost of 'things'. Hope someone can move it to somewhere more suitable.

• Advertisement

Have you ever tried to sell any cds or books? I imagine it's pretty hard to get rid of lots of Now That's What I call Music cds, Des O' Connor LPs and Reader's Digest magazines! If it were me I'd be happy to give discounts on multiple purchases. I don't work in a shop but if I did and I got all my stock for free I definitely wouldn't have a sign on the counter saying 'no discounts'.

mhge wrote: »

Yeah, most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In the name of Jesus, Mary and their wee donkey. What is this doing in my patch? Begone with thee.

Im moving this to where all sorts of shit is discussed continually....After Hours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

oh my god OP you are a stingy auld git

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You asked for 1 euro off?

Why?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Next time for all your stuff in pennies OP, that'll show that mangy charity who's boss.

phasers wrote: »
    oh my god OP you are a stingy auld git

Ha ha I can see from reading this why you'd think that but I'm not. Honest! I've donated loads of stuff to charity and bought twice as much. I think an official No Discounts policy is stingy TBH.

mackg wrote: »
    Next time for all your stuff in pennies OP, that'll show that mangy charity who's boss.

Never!

awec wrote: »
    You asked for 1 euro off?

Why?!

Because it's 2nd hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I admire your cojones OP, but by christ you're some cheap yoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

This belongs in the stinge thread. You know all the proceeds go to Oxfam and all the staff are volunteers (ie no pay whatsoever)? You sir are the most awful stinge of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

A charity shop trying to maximize it's profit? How DARE they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This is precisely the reason why I don't shop in Oxfam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are the staff professional retailers ?

Is the stuff priced to sell ?

Do they drop prices when stuff doesn't sell ?

Oxfam don't sell grubby books like other places do and so they charge more for them.

Away to the Stingy thread with you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Are all staff giving of their all for free, or are they on CE scheme or something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's safe to say that "charity" is lost on the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SVP and Oxfam wouldnt take a lovely 3 piece cloth sitting room suite off me 2 years ago.

5 years old,Spotlessly clean and in great condition.I offered it for free to both of them,for anyone who was a victim of the flooding or was in dire need of a suite of furniture due to the recession.

The reason neither wanted it was because...IT WAS NOT LEATHER.

I kid you not.......

So I couldnt give a flying fcuk now about charity shops...with their attitude like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paddy147 wrote: »
    SVP and Oxfam wouldnt take a lovely 3 piece cloth sitting room suite off me 2 years ago.
    Leather is easy clean

storage is a bitch

How much did you get for it when you sold it in the end ?

Leather is easy clean

storage is a bitch

How much did you get for it when you sold it in the end ?

Ah but both charities are supposed to be there in emergencies to help out the needy and people who have been left with nothing when the likes of flooding happens.

Ungreatfull b^stards both of them,so I dont bother giving anything to either of them any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

5 years old,Spotlessly clean and in great condition.I offered it for free to both of them,for anyone who was a victim of the flooding or was in dire need of a suite of furniture due to the recession.

I kid you not.......

So I couldnt give a flying fcuk now about charity shops...with their attitude like that.

Did they give you a reason why?

A family friend clears out furniture from houses where the owner has died or there is a quick sale, and she says there are some things (like upright pianos) that you couldn't sell for as little as $20 these days, so no secondhand shops will take them as they take up too much space. So it may be an issue of demand or storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

This should be added to that stingy things that stingy people do thread. It's a charity shop ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Ah but both charities are supposed to be there in emergencies to help out the needy and people who have been left with nothing when the likes of flooding happens.

Ungreatfull b^stards both of them,so I dont bother giving anything to either of them any more.

No, Oxfam is there to take what they can SELL. If they can't sell fabric couches, they won't take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Also, I thought it was a big part of the fun of shopping in charity shops that you can haggle with the staff, have a bit of banter and come out with a bargain and a good feeling having supported your local charity.

i don't think you understand the purpose of charity shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I kid you not.......

I don't know how SVP work but if Oxfam take a donation that they can't sell they have to bear the cost of it's disposal. At commercial rates, which are higher than household rates. So it would cost them a hell of a lot more to get rid of it than it would you. They are also legally barred from selling, or even giving things away for free, if they don't meet and have proof of meeting exacting safety standards and could be fined a considerable amount for trying.

The one and only purpose of their shops is to make money for their development projects. That's it. Not to get rid of things people don't want. If they don't think they can sell an item they won't take it and nor should they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

...and the crucifixion has begun...

A family friend clears out furniture from houses where the owner has died or there is a quick sale, and she says there are some things (like upright pianos) that you couldn't sell for as little as $20 these days, so no secondhand shops will take them as they take up too much space. So it may be an issue of demand or storage.

Those 4 words in block capitals above,is the only reason/excuse I got from both of them.

I saw the appeal on RTE News and TV3 for help for the flood victims and anything to help out people that had been wiped out and also the needy due to the recession.I had just bought some new furniture myself so,this particular suite was going to be available,as I didnt need it any more.

So I acted upon it and offered it all to them for free,to give to someone who badly needed some form of furniture.

Both said they wouldnt take it as it was not leather.:eek:

So they can both fcuk off now,as far as Im concerned...ungreatfull b^stards the lot of them.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If it were me I'd be happy to give discounts on multiple purchases. I don't work in a shop but if I did and I got all my stock for free I definitely wouldn't have a sign on the counter saying 'no discounts'.

It's not about giving the discounts, it's the fact that so many people ask!

If you worked in a charity shop for more than three hours you would write your own sign with your own blood! :pac:

Yes, charity shops receive the stuff for free, it is donated to the charity so the charity can sell it and make a profit for the charity and then use the money to for whatever cause the charity is for.

Most people that donate the stuff understand this. The charity shop has to run as a business or it is pointless and open to all sorts of fraud.

Most charity shops I am aware of put a fair price on everything, there are a few exceptions of course, and anyone can make mistakes.

Most charity shops are staffed by voluntary workers, some maybe on FAS schemes or similar.

The reason signs are put up is because A LOT of people feel that they are entitled to a discount. These same people would not usually ask for a discount in a "normal" shop. There always is the customer who asks for a discount everywhere they shop, fair enough!

eg:

How much is that?

It's €4

Will you do it for €2?

No, I'm sorry, we try our best to price the stock as fairly as possible so we don't offer discount.

Ah go on it's not even for me!

I'm afraid we can't, it would be about €20 full price and it is in good condition.

ah sure you get it for free..

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't.

Ah go on...

etc.. etc..

So after 30th customer in one day having that kind of conversation, that is usually when you get the following:

How much is that?

It's €4 please.

Will ya take €2?

I'm sorry we are not allowed to give discounts.... repeat repeat..

It's a pain in the ass!

There is a sign (small one) in the shop where I volunteer, but I have never just pointed at the sign, that is rude. But I do get blue in the face trying to explain. In fairness anyone who works in retail will tell you : some customers are just nasty, some are lovely.

Give your stuff to charity because you want to help the charity.

Rant over :)

What did you do with it in the end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Haggling is something that never appealed to me. If you gather things worth 50e and bring them to the counter, why would you expect to pay less than 50? Youre the one that picked it up after all.

What did you do with it in the end ?

It was eventually sold on,for very small money,as I got sick and tired of various charities carry on and the "its not leather" bullsh!t from them.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You were right OP.....fcuk those poor people who could be relying on charity money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

It was sold on,for very small money,as I got sick and tired of various charities carry on and the "its not leather" bullsh!t from them.:(

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like they were ejits..

Please don't be put off all charity shops though because of your experience. Not all of them are like that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

At the end of the day these organizations are as hard nosed as Tesco and Dunnes- charity comes somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sorry about that! I saw 'prices/costs' and thought it was a section of Boards for general price/cost of 'things'. Hope someone can move it to somewhere more suitable.
    Jasus, first a discount in Oxfam, now looking for a free move. Is there any end to your scabbiness? You'll be begging off beggars next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mhge wrote: »

Oxfam are now getting way more expensive than other charity shops

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Hi all.

I was in the Oxfam shop just off Parnell Street in Dublin yesterday. Having rifled through some books and music I went up to pay for a few things and asked for a euro off the total price. They told me they couldn't do that and pointed at a sign above the counter that read 'no discounts-please don't ask' or something like that.

Now, I know some of the proceeds of each sale go to charity, but I think it's a bit insulting to have a sign stating that it's not ok to ask for a discount when you buy a few things. Shoppers ask for a few quid off their total in lots of other shops around town but I haven't ever seen a sign like this one anywhere else.

I know lots of you will disagree but I just think it's a bit, eh.. rich :)

I'll send my old clothes, music and books elsewhere in the future.

The prices are cheap as it is, and it's for charity, would you not want to pay the asking price because of that?

It was eventually sold on,for very small money,as I got sick and tired of various charities carry on and the "its not leather" bullsh!t from them.:(
    eventually sold on,for very small money,

Do you understand now that it was hard to shift and wasn't worth much ?

It's a CHARITY shop, OP. CHARITY. I am a very frugal person, but I'd never ask for a discount in a charity shop, staffed by volunteers. Good God, pay the extra euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The poor are suffering enough without people scrounging for discounts on what little form of income they get from the western world. .

Rising food prices increase squeeze on poor - Oxfam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've seen this scenario described in disgust from the other side in cries of retail. If you're in a charity shop and you see something you like, buying it donates that money to charity. Not all of it, as the shop will have some bills, just not the major one of wages, but it's still incredibly stingy to try to knock down that price further when you think of who your money is benefiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Funny how people seem to think charity shops are a handy, cheap way of disposing of stuff. Especially the fabric couch thing. If you nose through jumbletown there are loads of perfectly good couches that people will give away for free as long as someone will collect it from them. So they don't have to hire a van and bring it to the dump themselves. And all those charities already have warehouses full of furniture they are paying good money to store. They are in the business of making money for their own cause, not being generally 'charitable' to flood victims or people with little money in their pockets. If they can't sell it, then they won't take it off you. Which is perfectly fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I saw the appeal on RTE News and TV3 for help for the flood victims and anything to help out people that had been wiped out and also the needy due to the recession.I had just bought some new furniture myself so,this particular suite was going to be available,as I didnt need it any more.

So I acted upon it and offered it all to them for free,to give to someone who badly needed some form of furniture.

How did you act upon an appeal for help for flood victims by contacting Oxfam? Their only remit is in the developing world, they have as much to do with Irish flood victims as Disneyland does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Oxfam are now getting way more expensive than other charity shops

Oxfam have been way more expensive for years - especially for books. I had it out with their management a couple of years back but to no avail. I tried to explain the concept that they get the stock free and turn it over fast + cheap and get lots of repeat business. However, the management there, in common with many management types are not working at the coalface. The reason that I contacted Oxfam on that particular occasion was that there Dun Laoghaire shop had a scrawled notice up stating "no donations today please" - where would you get it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I could get a piano for $20? Why did no one tell me this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

When I was in College, I did volunteering with Oxfam, in one of their shops. To be honest the majority of what was donated to the shop was pure crap, people used the charity as a way of getting rid of their rubbish. I used to wash and iron the clothes, I could go through about 20 black sacks and get as little as 3 decent items that the public would buy. Thats why they would have to put up signs no donations, they could have 100's of bags to go through.
    My local dry cleaner makes you pay up front for duvets, I thought it was odd,but apparently, people would leave them in on the pretense of getting them washed and it was just a way of getting rid of them, they ended up at one point with about 20 duvets!

• Advertisement
Advertisement