Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door bell bulb

Options
  • 14-02-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Need a bulb for a transformer type wired doorbell. Will an interior lightbulb from a car do as transformer steps voltage at bell down to just under 12v. thinking something like one below.

$(KGrHqR,!hoFBs0Pd1qoBQqLJy4S-g~~60_1.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it prob won't be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just out of interest. Would it be because of DC v's AC incompatibility or some other reason. Any idea where I might get the proper type. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

electrical wholesalers might have replacements

the bulb is in-circuit with the chime so prob needs to be correct rating i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea if the bulb wattage was too high, the chime would be partly held in so probably wouldnt work as effectively, when the button is pressed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Electrical wholesaler should have them, the other place I have seen them is close to the kid magnet in places like Woodies, you will know it, the door bell demo stand that is used as a surrogate baby sitter by some parents when they are looking at things like paint or tiles, or whatever.

Never looked at the rating on them, but 12v car bulbs are too powerful for a door bell fitting.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea if the bulb wattage was too high, the chime would be partly held in so probably wouldnt work as effectively, when the button is pressed.

That's interesting .. my builder installed a door bell in my house that barely squeaks!! It can only be heard if you don't close the door to the room you are in, i.e. it is completely useless!! Any chance I have a problem like outlined above? Are they normally asjustable? Otherwise I'll have to replace it as people have come to the door and left because no response to repeated squeaks of the bell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Try it with the bulb out, it should still work, just won't light up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

creedp wrote: »
    That's interesting .. my builder installed a door bell in my house that barely squeaks!! It can only be heard if you don't close the door to the room you are in, i.e. it is completely useless!! Any chance I have a problem like outlined above? Are they normally asjustable? Otherwise I'll have to replace it as people have come to the door and left because no response to repeated squeaks of the bell!!

There could be different reasons for it, faulty, or just not a decent loud one, or too low a transformer voltage selected if its a transformer powered one.

Too high a wattage bulb in the push button would seem an unlikely cause, as that would only come about if the original push button bulb was replaced, if it had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

Bruthal wrote: »
    There could be different reasons for it, faulty, or just not a decent loud one, or too low a transformer voltage selected if its a transformer powered one.

Too high a wattage bulb in the push button would seem an unlikely cause, as that would only come about if the original push button bulb was replaced, if it had one.

The push button was new out of the box so that probably isnt the issue but out of curiousity Ill give it a try. It might be easier to install a new one.

Advertisement