Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Angelas Sligo

• 15-02-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Anyone thinking of going next year? :) And what course? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

I'm hoping to do home economics with irish next year. fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vicks1994

Hi. I'm repeating my leaving cert! I really like home ec biology and Irish despite the fact my home ec teacher is crap! I'm from cork so Sligo Seems so far away from home :(
    Anyone know anything about the course?
    I've heard that it is very demanding and such a work load!
    I think I'll probably stay on campus if I get offered this course :)
    Another question regards night life? Or does it even exist?
    I'm a hard worker but really I like to go out too lol
    I'm afraid ill hate this course :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Catherine12345

Coughlans wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do home economics with irish next year. fingers crossed :)

Awh cool Im want to do any once I just get in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Catherine12345

Vicks1994 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm repeating my leaving cert! I really like home ec biology and Irish despite the fact my home ec teacher is crap! I'm from cork so Sligo Seems so far away from home :(
    Anyone know anything about the course?
    I've heard that it is very demanding and such a work load!
    I think I'll probably stay on campus if I get offered this course :)
    Another question regards night life? Or does it even exist?
    I'm a hard worker but really I like to go out too lol
    I'm afraid ill hate this course :/

I'm from Cork too :) I know I went up to the open day and it is in the middle of no where :P I will stay on campus too if I get it. I'm the exact same as you i guess we wont know unless we actually get in :/

I'm from Cork too :) I know I went up to the open day and it is in the middle of no where :P I will stay on campus too if I get it. I'm the exact same as you i guess we wont know unless we actually get in :/
    Oh good stuff :) there's suppose to be a lot going there from here from what I've heard! I didn't make the open day at all :/ hopefully more will post on this and we can find out more info!
    It's only march so I guess there's lots of time to decide what to do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Sligo town has a great night life, just st. Angela's is a fair bit out of town, 15-20 minutes maybe.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Sligo town has a great night life, just st. Angela's is a fair bit out of town, 15-20 minutes maybe.
    Do st angelas students have any social
    Life at all? Lol
    Are you going there may I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Do st angelas students have any social
    Life at all? Lol
    Are you going there may I ask?
    No I live in Sligo though. A lot of St. Angela's students stay in the same place as a lot if the IT students and they get a bus in and out everyday. Where they stay is on the outskirts of the town.

Awh cool Im want to do any once I just get in :)

I'm living on the cork/waterford border, took me 5 hours to get up for the open day :/

I'm living on the cork/waterford border, took me 5 hours to get up for the open day :/
    I'm the opposite side of cork lol cork/Kerry border.
    I don't even have a prospectice :/ I'm really regretting not going to the open day :/

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite side of cork lol cork/Kerry border.
    I don't even have a prospectice :/ I'm really regretting not going to the open day :/

i'm sure you can get one online, tbh theres not alot of info on it. the one thing i learned that its in the middle of nowhere but it still made me want to go there even more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Elizabeth Bridin Flynn

Hi I am a defferd applicant for the home ec and bilogy course in aSt angela's I live about 50 mins away im just wondering is it worth living in sligo like is the social life good or would i be aswell travel everyday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi I graduated from St Angela's in 2007; to be honest if you're interested in any kind of night life you need to stay closer to town! The drinking money you would waste on taxis if you decide to stay on campus is just sinful :)
    As another poster said, there's a regular bus service with stops near the main student villages (Yeats Village, Ard Nua, Clarion Village, Gateway apartments), the bus continues into town. Weekly saver tickets are available, and when I went there buses would run after college hours to facilitate students using the library and computer labs.
    When I went there the on campus accommodation was only available in my 4th year; I didn't opt for it then as I had lived in Ballinode for the previous 3 years and couldn't imagine living out in the wilds, particularly as I stayed in Sligo most weekends and didn't have a car so again, the cost of taxis would have been an issue if I wanted shopping, cinema, drinks etc! To be honest the quality of the on campus accommodation is very very high, far superior to that of the student villages closer to town, and the views of nearby Lough Gill are really lovely, but I can't see this being a massive consideration for students! The other reason I chose not to live on campus was that I would have been living with the same people I shared classes with every day, which would have driven me nuts. If you're a social person you'll probably do better closer to town and sharing with a mixture of students from St Angela's and students from the IT, especially considering you'll be spending in or around 40 hours a week in college, believe me you'll be glad to see the back of the place each evening! A lot of the people in college with me were from Cork/Kerry/Limerick and found that they could not get home every weekend as lectures didn't tend to finish early enough on Friday evenings. If you're a home bird this could be an issue.
    The quality of accommodation in Ard Nua and Yeats village is perfectly adequate; I lived in both villages and can recommend both. Gateway apartments seemed fine too, I didn't spend a lot of time there :) There were safety issues re street lighting on the way from town to Clarion village when I was in Sligo so if you're considering Clarion village it would be worth checking if this issue has been addressed.
    Sligo is a great little town with a lively social scene; it's well served in terms of shopping, eating out etc too. Strandhill and Rosses Point are both lovely seaside villages within 10 minutes of town (both are on bus routes).
    St Angela's itself is a small college with a decent new library, several computer labs, good and generally helpful lecturers, and all the atmosphere of an 1850's convent. There's a canteen with a fair selection of pretty reasonably priced food all day, and when I was there there was a very small stationery and sweet shop in the Student's Union and a slightly larger convenience store next to the on campus accommodation.
    St Angela's isn't for everyone: don't apply or accept a place without visiting the campus, checking bus schedules etc (I'm sure that's good advice for any college or course but Angela's is unique in its' middle-of-nowhere-ness, which can be hard to cope with!). If you can't make it to an open day try to get up there on any weekday except Friday and you'll get a fair idea of what the place is like. The college staff and lecturers have been known to facilitate prospective students with guided tours outside of the organised open days.
    I can't really think of anything else helpful right now, and the course has changed slightly since I did it, but i'm told it's still a challenging course with plenty of coursework required and full attendance to lectures expected (think secondary school!). It's also pretty expensive in first year as you're required to buy safety shoes and cookery uniform, professional quality knife set, protective coat for science lectures, sewing machine, books etc etc, literally hundreds of euro worth of stuff on day one, so be prepared for that.
    If my post seems largely negative, let me just say this: the course is extremely varied and often very interesting; the practical skills taught are super useful; the teaching practice placements and microteaching sessions are truly fascinating; there are many good points to attending St Angela's and most people love it: personally I was on the fence for 4 years (uncomfortable!)
    Dee x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Just wondering are many people still considering this course? :) I'm thinking of doing it but don't know if ill get the points this year do may end up repeating to get the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

Just wondering are many people still considering this course? :) I'm thinking of doing it but don't know if ill get the points this year do may end up repeating to get the course :)

I had considered it for ages but I dunno I just suddenly changed my mind and with the bad job prospects at the moment and all I just got turned off it :confused: I still left it on my CAO but just moved it down to 4th!
    Who knows though with 4 days left to decide I could end up with it first again haha!
    What subject would you do it with?

shawnanana wrote: »
    I had considered it for ages but I dunno I just suddenly changed my mind and with the bad job prospects at the moment and all I just got turned off it :confused: I still left it on my CAO but just moved it down to 4th!
    Who knows though with 4 days left to decide I could end up with it first again haha!
    What subject would you do it with?

I would live it with biology as they are my two favourite subjects and teaching them would be amazing!! I haven't got it on my CAO yet as I've just come across it and am trying to research if but other than that I have no idea what I want to do :(

What did u want to do it with? :)

I would live it with biology as they are my two favourite subjects and teaching them would be amazing!! I haven't got it on my CAO yet as I've just come across it and am trying to research if but other than that I have no idea what I want to do :(

What did u want to do it with? :)

I have it down with Economics just because I love Business! Yeah I'd still love to be a teacher and tbh i think it's the only subject I could hack teaching cos it was my favourite all the way through secondary school!
    I know a girl who just finished 1st year there and she actually loves it like she goes out in Sligo about 2 nights a week and she lived on campus so it's still possible to have the craic in the middle of nowhere :P

I have it down with Economics just because I love Business! Yeah I'd still love to be a teacher and tbh i think it's the only subject I could hack teaching cos it was my favourite all the way through secondary school!
    I know a girl who just finished 1st year there and she actually loves it like she goes out in Sligo about 2 nights a week and she lived on campus so it's still possible to have the craic in the middle of nowhere :P

I think ive my mind made up :D Just have to persuade my parents :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I would absolutely love Home-Ec teaching but I didn't get the points when I sat my leaving. I have Applied Science in Food and Business Management down on my CAO as my first choice so fingers crossed:D Anyone interested in this course?:) Have ye started looking into accommodation?

I think ive my mind made up :D Just have to persuade my parents :p

Yeah Sligo is very far away especially if you live the other side of the country like me :P
    Best of luck though anyway and i hope you get it :D

• Advertisement

Yeah Sligo is very far away especially if you live the other side of the country like me :P
    Best of luck though anyway and i hope you get it :D

Thanks i hope you get it too! :) Hopefully i dont have to repeat for it :P The points are crazy high though so i probably will but hopefully its worth it :D
    May even see you there! :pac:

Hey, I have all four courses down on my CAO, hoping I will get one :) the points are just crazy tho!

Hey, I have all four courses down on my CAO, hoping I will get one :) the points are just crazy tho!

Which do you want the most? :) the home ec with biology was 510 last year which is crazy! :O but there seems to be a huge workload :)

Which do you want the most? :) the home ec with biology was 510 last year which is crazy! :O but there seems to be a huge workload :)

I have Irish, religion, economics then biology last, ya its crazy! Do you only have one home etc course down?

I have Irish, religion, economics then biology last, ya its crazy! Do you only have one home etc course down?

Nope I've only now thought about home ec teachin this week and now in dying to be a teacher :) ever since a child it's what I've always wanted except never put it down as 'there's ne jobs' etc and my family are trying to persuade me against it! :(
    I think home ec and biology is the only one I want as they are my fav subjects by a mile! And ill prob repeat next year just to get it :P hopefully that works :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Thinking about doing home ec with cat nursing this year provided I get the points, 475 last year so I'm quietly confident :)

Nope I've only now thought about home ec teachin this week and now in dying to be a teacher :) ever since a child it's what I've always wanted except never put it down as 'there's ne jobs' etc and my family are trying to persuade me against it! :(
    I think home ec and biology is the only one I want as they are my fav subjects by a mile! And ill prob repeat next year just to get it :P hopefully that works :O

Ok I see, there may be a shortage of jobs for teachers but there are plenty of jobs for home ec teachers, schools can't find them. Any career guidance person I've spoken to has said this is a good career path

1. Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

audman wrote: »
      Thinking about doing home ec with cat nursing this year provided I get the points, 475 last year so I'm quietly confident :)

What is that?

2. Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ok I see, there may be a shortage of jobs for teachers but there are plenty of jobs for home ec teachers, schools can't find them. Any career guidance person I've spoken to has said this is a good career path

That's not true. It may have been true about five years ago.

Have a look at the (very few) ads for teaching jobs and see how many Home Ec. jobs there are.
        PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be fully aware of the jobs situation before committing yourself to this.

1. Advertisement
      2. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

spurious wrote: »
        That's not true. It may have been true about five years ago.

Have a look at the (very few) ads for teaching jobs and see how many Home Ec. jobs there are.
        PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be fully aware of the jobs situation before committing yourself to this.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE is right 'spurious'. PLEASE is right!

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Has anyone booked accommodation for Sligo? Is it too early or should I go book it? Help!:o

4. Registered Users Posts: 1 Mandymoo6

Hi Guys ive just accepted a mature students place (im only 24 ha) on the home ec & Re course in the college just wondering has anyone any suggestions re accomadation.... i havent a clue where to start or is anyone lookin for someone to share with. would be great to get to know someone before i go in september. thanks. :)

5. Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

6. Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

I booked accommodation in Ard Nua, hopefully I get in now :)

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I've also booked Ard Nua! :)

8. Advertisement
      9. Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

yaay, I've heard it's very posh. :)

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Yeah it looks lovely! :D ooh fingers crossed Ill get offered a place! What course have you applied for?

11. Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

am Home Ec with Irish is my number but I've put the four courses down you? :)

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

The B.A in applied food science with business management:)

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I spent four years in Ard Nua and loved it! There is no way I would recommend to anyone to live out on campus in Angelas. Ard Nua will be great for meeting people from the IT. It's a quick walk from town and more conducive to a good social life which you will need as the course is extremely intensive.

14. Advertisement
      15. Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

Does anybody know when orientation is?

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Does anybody know when orientation is?

I don't see it on the website but as soon as you find out you got a place they will send you any information you need in a pack.

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Someone on their FaceBook page asked and they said "First year HEAR students will start on 2nd Sept. All other first year B.Ed. students start on 5th Sept.."

18. Registered Users Posts: 6 eimeardreamer

I've just received my results today and i'll hopefully have enough points to do Home Ec. and Biology teaching when the offers come out on Monday. I was just wondering about accommodation now, the trend seems to be that first years live in the new accommodation on campus but i don't really want to?? are there many first years living in Sligo town and if so where? If I were to live on the outskirts of the town in Yeats Village or Ard Nua would I be somewhat disconnected from the other first years as regards making friends and meeting people on my course? I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out!! :)

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I've just received my results today and i'll hopefully have enough points to do Home Ec. and Biology teaching when the offers come out on Monday. I was just wondering about accommodation now, the trend seems to be that first years live in the new accommodation on campus but i don't really want to?? are there many first years living in Sligo town and if so where? If I were to live on the outskirts of the town in Yeats Village or Ard Nua would I be somewhat disconnected from the other first years as regards making friends and meeting people on my course? I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out!! :)

All the Sligo IT students live there, I actually dont know about St. Angelas 1st years I just know that a lot of Angies students live there too

20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hi Eimeardreamer!
        Well done on the leaving cert results! I was in contact with the student union in Angela's a while back and they recommended to live in Ard Nua and Yeats over the campus accommodation, I think campus accommodation worked out at around €4,500 :O (Open to correction!) the student union said it has gone down over the years and half of the apartments aren't being used anymore so I inquired around and Ard Nua and Yeats seem to be fairly popular. Both have bus routes running directly to and from the college. Also where ever you decide to go for accommodation they will ask what course you are doing and try put you in with people in your year/class and also in with Sligo IT students so it'll be a good way of making friends / mixing etc!

Hope that was of some help!

Mugatuu:D

21. Registered Users Posts: 6 eimeardreamer

Mugatuu wrote: »
        Hi Eimeardreamer!
        Well done on the leaving cert results! I was in contact with the student union in Angela's a while back and they recommended to live in Ard Nua and Yeats over the campus accommodation, I think campus accommodation worked out at around €4,500 :O (Open to correction!) the student union said it has gone down over the years and half of the apartments aren't being used anymore so I inquired around and Ard Nua and Yeats seem to be fairly popular. Both have bus routes running directly to and from the college. Also where ever you decide to go for accommodation they will ask what course you are doing and try put you in with people in your year/class and also in with Sligo IT students so it'll be a good way of making friends / mixing etc!

Hope that was of some help!

Mugatuu:D

Okay sounds good! Id say its deff Ard Nua or Yeats for me so...if i get the course!!:L Thanks a lot for your help!

22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Okay sounds good! Id say its deff Ard Nua or Yeats for me so...if i get the course!!:L Thanks a lot for your help!

No problem :D
        I'm hoping to get Angela's on Monday also so we might cross paths! :)

23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hey guys, think i've got enough to do home ec teaching this year! :D don't have a clue what to do about accomadation yet.. good luck :)

24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

The work load is ferocious in first year so avoid bunking down with IT students as you'll go doo lally with envy 😣
        You do need the support of a few classmates to survive

25. Advertisement
      Advertisement