Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Logo applied to MKIV vehicle

• 15-02-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

4003 has returned to traffic following overhaul and repainting. It is also the first vehicle to carry the new Iarnrod Eireann Irish Rail logo.

I photographed it at Rosskelton earlier today on the 1200 to Cork and later that evening at Heuston prior to departure at 1900 for Cork. The pictures may be viewed at:

http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/February-2013/27354509_nQ83Nq/2365221281_HLDJ8cP

Logos will only be replaced when rolling stock is scheduled for repainting.

The Wanderer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hi Wanderer,it looks very smart indeed. do you Know has 077 the old or new logo on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Hi Wanderer,it looks very smart indeed. do you Know has 077 the old or new logo on it?

It has the new logo.

The drawing that was leaked onto the internet was obviously done last year prior to the new logo being approved.

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭choo choo man

The only pity is the new logo will be all white and not the orange white green format

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Not as crappy looking as I imagined it would be applied to a vehicle, probably due to the relatively small size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not as crappy looking as I imagined it would be applied to a vehicle, probably due to the relatively small size.

It does look far tidier on the side of a train that people imagined, that's for sure.

And as always, excellent work by the Wanderer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is the plan is to only paint them on the DVT and loco's?

Now don't expct the ICR's will get the logo for some time. I always think the Mark 4 colours would look nicer on the ICR as I hate the green shade they picked for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Are the service logos (other than DART) being completely dumped then? I have seen a new DART logo but neither hide nor hare of an InterCity or Commuter logo.

Incidently I would have thought the DARTs would be first to get new vinyls, given that they are still carrying a "DART25" logo when it is almost the 30th anniversary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I am SO happy to see a return to Capital Letters in this instance...the modern fad of lowecasing everything always smacked of twittery to me !

That logo looks very crisp as applied...I'm giving it a +1 :P

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Will the new logo result in an improvement of the passenger experience? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I am SO happy to see a return to Capital Letters in this instance...the modern fad of lowecasing everything always smacked of twittery to me !
    The previous logo wasn't in all lower case.

• Advertisement

etchyed wrote: »

Apolz ...I was'nt being IR specific,shudda made it clearer.

There has been a rash of lower casing everything in recent years,and I'm just glad to see my 1973 Inter Cert A in English ( :D) still directs my thinking on the matter !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Will the new logo result in an improvement of the passenger experience? :rolleyes:

Would FastTrack?:rolleyes:

Apolz ...I was'nt being IR specific,shudda made it clearer.

There has been a rash of lower casing everything in recent years,and I'm just glad to see my 1973 Inter Cert A in English ( :D) still directs my thinking on the matter !!

Agreed. The new ITV logo is awful, looks like it was drawn by a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Would FastTrack?:rolleyes:

What are you trying to say? Fastrack would generate revenue for the company at no extra cost, if properly run - what part of that do you not understand?

Perhaps you should call in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126578 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What are you trying to say? Fastrack would generate revenue for the company at no extra cost, if properly run - what part of that do you not understand?

Perhaps you should call in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126578 too.
    They tried it and it failed miserably. If Ireland had a much larger rail network it may have worked with changes to staffing arrangements but Ireland is just too small for any kind of rail parcel post.

Actually, originally the logotype that came with the "IE" symbol was indeed all in lower case, formatted as iarnrod eireann. The mixed case logotype only came later (in 2000 I think) as part of an overall CIÉ rebranding which saw CIE 2000 adopted as the font accross the orgnaisation and three companies getting matching logotypes in CIE 2000 Bold Italic. Dublin Bus broke away from the look a few years ago and Bus Éireann more recently leaving Irish Rail the last to break away. CIE itself still use it, as do CIE Tours International.

icdg wrote: »
    Actually, originally the logotype that came with the "IE" symbol was indeed all in lower case.
    I know. But the logotype previous to the current one was not, and it was in use for longer. The fact that the original was in lower case, however, just goes to show how long all-lower case logotypes have been around. They really aren't anything new, contrary to what Alek would have us believe.

I know. But the logotype previous to the current one was not, and it was in use for longer. The fact that the original was in lower case, however, just goes to show how long all-lower case logotypes have been around. They really aren't anything new, contrary to what Alek would have us believe.

Believe it or Not...apologies to Ripley :)

The amount of time it's been a fad for is immaterial really,it's simply that if I was to write a name or title without using a Capital Letter to start them I would have recieved a stern rebuke from Miss Byrne,and possibly a wallop of Exploring English on the back of my head !!.......40 years later,that method of instruction still manages to remain effective !!!!!

Believe it or Not...apologies to Ripley :)

The amount of time it's been a fad for is immaterial really,it's simply that if I was to write a name or title without using a Capital Letter to start them I would have recieved a stern rebuke from Miss Byrne,and possibly a wallop of Exploring English on the back of my head !!.......40 years later,that method of instruction still manages to remain effective !!!!!
    Perhaps a little too effective, given your apparent inability to recognise that the rules Miss Byrne taught you need not apply absolutely everywhere. Logotype design and formal writing are not one and the same thing.

And the amount of time something has been a fad is far from immaterial, Alek. Because there comes a point when fads cease to be fads.

Putting my cable and MMDS hat on, the former cable company NTL (now Virgin Media) used to not only have their logo reading ntl: but insist on being referred to as "ntl" in all written text. The Sunday Tribune used to try to square the circle of NTL's wishes and the English grammer by calling it "Ntl", a word that's impossible to pronounce, but since NTL's wishes didn't change the fact that NTL was originally an acronym (for National Transcommunications Limited) and therefore should have been all capitalised.

None of this has anything to do with trains of course, but a bit of relevance to corporate identity and the English language...

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Putting my cable and MMDS hat on, the former cable company NTL (now Virgin Media) used to not only have their logo reading ntl: but insist on being referred to as "ntl" in all written text. The Sunday Tribune used to try to square the circle of NTL's wishes and the English grammer by calling it "Ntl", a word that's impossible to pronounce, but since NTL's wishes didn't change the fact that NTL was originally an acronym (for National Transcommunications Limited) and therefore should have been all capitalised.

None of this has anything to do with trains of course, but a bit of relevance to corporate identity and the English language...
    And that is an example of where I would agree wholeheartedly with AlekSmart. Companies can do whatever they want with their logos, as far as I'm concerned, but trying to insist that their name remains uncapitalised in all writing is irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eircom is the other major example of that "eircom"

Advertisement