Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    People playing with random would just be throwing themselves against a wall repeatably and then quit, ruining their own experience and the rest of the groups.

Bungie aren't going to add it as it'll taint a large portion of people's experience. They need to have better in game clan support so as with any other MMO people can find a group to work together with rather than getting stuck with.

Some games would work out that way but not all. All you need are a few people in the group with mics who know what they're at. If I ended up with a bunch of no hopers I just quit out and go again.I'd rather ruin my own experience than not experience it at all.

People could still organise co-ordinated groups if they wanted to but matchmaking opens it up to everyone else too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

calex71 wrote: »
    I couldn't get it to work yesterday at all, today I had the bounty for killing the devil active and it came up first time.

And it worked :) Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame. Still need another few levels before I try it.

Also what can glimmer be used for ? I just use it to buy ammo packs. But are there any other uses ?

I used glimmer to purchase stuff from the Cryptach and level him up. Also did what you did and bought ammo, which was useless at first but has been very helpful recently.
    You'll also need it to rank up weapons/armour. I had all the ascendant shards and rare materials to rank up my helm and get to level 28 yesterday and was 125 glimmer short. 125?????

Also regarding the comments on matchmaking. I think you would get through a raid with randomers (it might take a while) provided they know what they're doing and there's no more than one eejit on the team. That said it would only take one person to fk it up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Some games would work out that way but not all. All you need are a few people in the group with mics who know what they're at. If I ended up with a bunch of no hopers I just quit out and go again.I'd rather ruin my own experience than not experience it at all.

People could still organise co-ordinated groups if they wanted to but matchmaking opens it up to everyone else too.

With 6 people all working together and communicating it's extremely difficult as it is. There's a massive amount of co-oridintation required. It's considerbly harder and a lot more tactical than any of he strikes. All it would take is one person doing their own thing to make it nigh on impossible. It would be an incredibly frustrating experience. It can be really frustrating even as it is. You'd get people dropping out constantly. As frustrating as it is to not to be able to play, it's nothing compared to the frustration that would happen in the raid. I think their reasoning is sound. I think they should open it up to matchmaking for a weekend, just so people could experience that nightmare and understand why it isn't there. Then get rid of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Can someone please explain how getting legendary Engrams works via PvE... I am level 23 now and I ran a level 18, 20, 22 and 24 (was so hard with that guy in the tank and then the last boss) strike last night. I also ran the daily heroic solo and I got nothing but green drops or armor that is worse than what I am already wearing.

What am I doing wrong. Are their certain queen missions that I should be running instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Destiny doesn't require the mmorpg tank-healer-dps, so strikes are simple enough but from paying MMOs the matchmaking can give some stupid ****ers; tanks specked as dps or people with no/improper gear.

Had multiple games in old republic where people would show up with gear with the wrong mods or no mods on gear right off the real money store.

It's not just about pulling your weight, you can actively **** over your group.

logik wrote: »
    Can someone please explain how getting legendary Engrams works via PvE... I am level 23 now and I ran a level 18, 20, 22 and 24 (was so hard with that guy in the tank and then the last boss) strike last night. I also ran the daily heroic solo and I got nothing but green drops or armor that is worse than what I am already wearing.

What am I doing wrong. Are their certain queen missions that I should be running instead?

They're just random as far as I know. I've only got a few and most of those came from farming the cave on a low level earth patrol or leveling up the Cryptarch (we need another name for this guy, 'cos I keep spelling it wrong) and collecting the prize from the postmaster.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    They're just random as far as I know. I've only got a few and most of those came from farming the cave on a low level earth patrol or leveling up the Cryptarch (we need another name for this guy, 'cos I keep spelling it wrong) and collecting the prize from the postmaster.

Ok, thanks for that. Its just the last 3 days I have not really moved level because I simply cannot improve my character. Getting very annoying now.

I like the game but I am starting to see that after level 20 the game no longer caters for casual gamers. I mean for the guys that work on this forum, we can only get on in the evenings sometimes for 1-2 hours and at weekends for a few hours.

When you look at the amount of Marks required to purchase the armor and weapons off the Queen/Crucible and the the Class specific guardian in the Tower, unless you are a hardcore gamer with alot of time on your hands, end game is not open or suitable to you.

123 Marks for a piece of armor is just crazy. You only get between 2 and 4 marks for strike runs meaning you would need to pump hours and hours in just to get 1 item. And that is not even taking Rep into consideration...

Why are there not a load of high end Rare and a large number of Legendary items (but of different levels of power) available at different Mark prices so that you can at least progress your character and not have to grind out the 123 marks required.

^^ yeah it's a real grind. I've levelled up 3 characters past 20 and my main one to 28 but sunk a ton of hours into it. I can't stop playing. It's really appealing to my OCD traits.

The marks for a weapon is crushing particularly when I went and thrashed one accidentally. I have to buy it back and that's going to take me over a week of collecting marks because of the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,623 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ok, thanks for that. Its just the last 3 days I have not really moved level because I simply cannot improve my character. Getting very annoying now.

I like the game but I am starting to see that after level 20 the game no longer caters for casual gamers. I mean for the guys that work on this forum, we can only get on in the evenings sometimes for 1-2 hours and at weekends for a few hours.

When you look at the amount of Marks required to purchase the armor and weapons off the Queen/Crucible and the the Class specific guardian in the Tower, unless you are a hardcore gamer with alot of time on your hands, end game is not open or suitable to you.

123 Marks for a piece of armor is just crazy. You only get between 2 and 4 marks for strike runs meaning you would need to pump hours and hours in just to get 1 item. And that is not even taking Rep into consideration...

Why are there not a load of high end Rare and a large number of Legendary items (but of different levels of power) available at different Mark prices so that you can at least progress your character and not have to grind out the 123 marks required.
    agree completely. I play this game more than I have played any game in recent memory. I consider a few hours every night to be a fairly hefty commitment - and longer at the weekends, but it isn't close to being enough.

Gaining vangard rep takes a freaking age. Still level 1 on that. Earning marks takes an age and the legendary drops are so rare - and then turn out to be blue or a different class.

I enjoy the game, but after level 20 - or after level 24 i suppose - it just becomes a grind for stuff.

Also annoys me that the material required for upgrading your legendary items is so hard to accumulate - it should drop easier in the game, within missions. Bungie just appear intent on sucking any actual enjoyment out of the game in favour or a relentless grind.

If I am playing 2 or 3 strikes a night, it should be enough for progress of some kind - I shouldn't require i spend 2 hours on venus farming for spirit blooms, just to get one component of many that I am going to need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry I wasn't on last night to give you a hand with the tank guy. I'd to bring the missus to her mother's.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I vote for the name Archie. :D

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't on last night to give you a hand with the tank guy. I'd to bring the missus to her mother's.

Thats no hassle at all mate :). I was busy trying my hand at level 24 strikes but I am going to give them a miss until the patch so that I can at last get some loot from the boss. Level 24 strike took about an hour when you consider the tank guy and then the final boss. For random level 23 players, we did well, no one gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I would defo class myself as a 'casual' gamer, especially when it comes to destiny. I play around an hour or maybe half an hour most evenings, more over the weekend.

I'm level 25 and could probably hit 26 now tonight easily. I only hit level 20 like last week. The key for me was bounties. Just constantly doing bounties. Ideally the 5k ones. And using a faction to get legendary gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

.ak wrote: »
    I would defo class myself as a 'casual' gamer, especially when it comes to destiny. I play around an hour or maybe half an hour most evenings, more over the weekend.

I'm level 25 and could probably hit 26 now tonight easily. I only hit level 20 like last week. The key for me was bounties. Just constantly doing bounties. Ideally the 5k ones. And using a faction to get legendary gear.

I'm the same as yourself, an hour to 1.5 a night is the most I can get in. fair point about the bounties, but they're just so.... pointless for the most part.
    Its lucky that the combat is so satisfying, otherwise I reckon i'd have shelved this a while back. I'm Lvl 22 now and the last three nights have seen me no closer to hitting 23.

Just make sure you have your legendary/light armor equipped when collecting your bounty bonus.

.ak wrote: »
    Just make sure you have your legendary/light armor equipped when collecting your bounty bonus.

yup, all my gear is levelled up, but I'm miles short of buying anything from any of the factions and I'm not getting anything in the loot drops. I do have 12 strange coins though, If I gather a few more between now and the weekend I might be able to get something off xur.

In terms of picking up decent Rare gear I find doing a 'run' in certain areas good. Right now I'm partial to the spirit bloom/chest run where the fallen major spawns on Venus. If you're lucky you can knick a pike and basically just speed around the outside of the map blowing everything up, there guys usually drop a few bits of rare there. Also if you can be running a bounty with that, like the kill 10 fallen ultra one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

So I decided to level up my Titan class, reached level 27 yesterday but I think this is as far as I can go. All my armor is ready to upgrade to their maximum but I have no ascendant shards at all. I know you can only get it doing the weekly challenges but even then there is no guarantee you will get them.

I need 36 of them to upgrade all my armor God help me, I have collected 6 since I started playing... 6 in 2-3 weeks... this means that if I play at the same rate I should have all 36 of them in about 2-3 months.. great! Although by them ascendant shards would be the least of my problems as I would be too busy dealing with my divorce.

Are they that hard to find? I have got around 50 motes of light, 40 strange coins and like 20 ascendant energy thingies but shards seem to be the hardest ones to find

I am going to level up on my other two classes and leave it there for the moment, also want to wait for the patch to be released as I am tired of getting purples that turn out to be green engrams

PS: I think I am going to start disassembling some of my legendary armor, seems to be the only way of getting this bad boys, at least for me.

I have done around 15 public events in the last 2 days and only got 1 reward for completing them, an ascendant shard, 1 out of 15...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Bohrio wrote: »
    I know you can only get it doing the weekly challenges but even then there is no guarantee you will get them.

You can get them via public events, look at this site for when there on:

http://destinypublicevents.com/

Also, if you do the daily story challenge, but do it one level above the default you should get some as well.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yup, all my gear is levelled up, but I'm miles short of buying anything from any of the factions and I'm not getting anything in the loot drops. I do have 12 strange coins though, If I gather a few more between now and the weekend I might be able to get something off xur.

If you have no legendary gear you're guaranteed a helmet and chest piece from the queen's missions. Just keep going back to orbit until you get the Russia mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

If you have no legendary gear you're guaranteed a helmet and chest piece from the queen's missions. Just keep going back to orbit until you get the Russia mission.

This.
    I got the Legenday helm and chest piece in 20-30 minutes last night.
    Tonight, with the aid of bounties, i intend to level up my FWC faction to lvl 3.
    Ive found you really need to have a target and plan of action in mind when playing this game at higher levels. Otherwise its kind of a waste of time.

Cheers Mickeroo, what mission is that? the one to kill the boss devil archon? (I think thats what he's called) its mission 2 from the story, he's the fella that comes out of the wall?

Cheers Mickeroo, what mission is that? the one to kill the boss devil archon? (I think thats what he's called) its mission 2 from the story, he's the fella that comes out of the wall?

That's the one. There's an arc damage (blue) modifier on the mission so you can down him really quick with an arc sniper rifle while he's coming out of the wall. I'd advise bringing a solar (fire) weapon too to get rid of the shanks before he shows up though too as they have solar shields on and can kill you very quick due to the arc modifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I done that one and the one when you storm the ship and take on Draksis.
    The Draksis one was a little harder but far more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Bohrio wrote: »
    PS: I think I am going to start disassembling some of my legendary armor, seems to be the only way of getting this bad boys, at least for me.

I have done around 15 public events in the last 2 days and only got 1 reward for completing them, an ascendant shard, 1 out of 15...

Queen Bounties and the following missions result in legendary items. you can dismantle them. I'm pretty sure you get a reward for your first 'gold' public event of the day, when you get back to the tower, which has been shards for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

On a slight tangent here - I have the regular disc version on Xbox 360 and it has the flyer for the expansion pass inside. I heard that if you buy the 360 version and then get an Xbox One console, you can upgrade to the Xbox One version of the game for free before Jan 15. Does this apply to the game or just the expansion pass? If I get a One, am I still going to have to buy the game again?

Cheers

erkifino wrote: »
    Queen Bounties and the following missions result in legendary items. you can dismantle them. I'm pretty sure you get a reward for your first 'gold' public event of the day, when you get back to the tower, which has been shards for me.

You won't get shards from queens bounty gear now, they patched it out because they got butthurt everyone was just using the missions to get shards.

wes wrote: »
    You can get them via public events, look at this site for when there on:

http://destinypublicevents.com/

Also, if you do the daily story challenge, but do it one level above the default you should get some as well.

I tried public events, got one the first time and nothing on the remaining 15, no reward whatsoever .. :(

I will try the daily one tonight

• Advertisement

erkifino wrote: »

Queen amors do not give ascendant shards

link

Ascendant Shards are materials in Destiny. They are used to upgrade Legendary and Exotic gear. The following provide a chance at rewarding Ascendant Shards: Public Events, Legendary Engrams, dismantling legendary or exotic armor, daily story mission, Loot Chests, completing sections of the Vault of Glass, and completing Crucible matches.However, certain pieces of legendary armor, like those acquired from The Queen's Wrath missions, do not yield Ascendant Shards when dismantled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement