Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My Monte Carlo drops people quicker on Iron Banner. My 77 Wizard seems take people out from further away. I think I get dropped quicker in general, just things I've noticed. I like it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A level 4 can't damage a level 18 dreg in the game, why would he be able to damage a level 29 guardian if there's no balancing?

(i had to edit my post there)

In the main game there is a 30% drop in damage per level below the enemy you are, whereas in PvP there is a finite amount of damage dealt by each weapon to a given enemy.
    The playlist just seems pointless.

I agree it's not exactly great, but it's different, maybe people expected too much (of what, i don't know, seems like every small thing is meant to be the 2nd coming a-la the Raid). At least it's like the Queens Banner or Regular Crucible where you can just avoid as required.
    His headshots do 25 damage or so which is low enough, but considering a fully upgraded suros regime does only 43 in iron banner(the same it does in regular crucible) it doesn't really provide as much of a disadvantage as I would expect.

Really it's a case of them balancing weapon damage for the entire 20 levels so and balancing enemies to compensate for that (i don't see this happening as it would screw with too much else of the balancing), I agree a level 1 AR should not be 50% of the damage of a lvl 20 exotic with upgrades.
    Edit: also that rocket at 3 minutes missed by quite a distance and removed all the guy's shields and two 3rds of his health

Regardless, if an enemy is within the blast radius in normal crucible, no matter what, it's a OHK from my experience, I've had rockets miss by 1.5x to 2x that distance and still OHK someone (though I may have had upgraded blast radius), RLs work on "you are either in the Blast Radius or you are not", they don't do more or less damage the closer you are to the centre

One video does not categorical evidence (or "definitive proof" as he calls it) make.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    (i had to edit my post there)

In the main game there is a 30% drop in damage per level below the enemy you are, whereas in PvP there is a finite amount of damage dealt by each weapon to a given enemy.

One video does not categorical evidence (or "definitive proof" as he calls it) make.

I've played enough (even with the disconnects) to be able to draw my own conclusions. The occasional match I thought I was going down a bit quicker but I just put that down to having a bad game. All my gear is fully upgraded and one on ones don't feel any different with lower level players. My gear and weapons are giving me no clear advantage over someone with worse gear which pretty much makes the playlist redundant to me bar an easy way to get shards and energy once I rank it up.

For interests sake later I might just try do a couple of games with both my Lvl 2 Hunter and my Lvl 27 Warlock and see how it feels.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In fairness it's rare I've come across people who aren't at least in the low twenties so maybe I'm expecting too much. When I played Iron Banner in the Beta I definitely remember doing a lot worse in it than regular crucible matches.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

wexdevil wrote: »
    I thought it was 100% control

Ah, so that'd be why! :D

I hate Control. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

How do I get exotics? I've put about 40hrs into this and have not seen one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've only played one match in Iron Banner so far but I didn't notice a huge difference between it and the normal Crucible. We were playing Control and my team lost but I finished top on my team. I got roughly equal kills to deaths which is normal for me.

I was expecting the difference in levels to be more apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

ItsHoggie wrote: »

I got one through a random Exotic Bounty that I received when I was cashing in a Crucible Bounty.

The other way is to buy them from Xur, the trader who turns up on Fridays and Saturdays. I might buy and Exotic weapon tomorrow as I have enough Strange Coins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You can get exotic armour and weapons from Xur every Friday/Saturday in the Tower. 13 strange coins - 23 strange coins

You can get exotic bounties from the bounty guy. I got three. There may be an increased chance if you hand in 5 together but probably not although it has worked for me.

You can pick them up in high level strikes and raids as rewards and chest loot.

You can gain them in PvP as rewards.

All quite rare though except for Xur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wait until tomorrow and buy one of xur

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I got 'Young Ahamkara's Spine' (exotic gauntlets) from a random drop on a strike. It's the only piece of exotic gear I have, and the only thing that has allowed me to increase my light lvl past 22. Don't even have any legendary gear yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I got 'Young Ahamkara's Spine' (exotic gauntlets) from a random drop on a strike. It's the only piece of exotic gear I have, and the only thing that has allowed me to increase my light lvl past 22. Don't even have any legendary gear yet.

You can buy legendary gear from your vanguard / faction with marks which you pick up from handing in bounties, completing strikes and public events. It's relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Serious skill and luck here, considering how glitchy the VoG can be.

http://kotaku.com/watch-a-team-of-two-players-beat-destinys-six-person-ra-1644259037

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You can buy legendary gear from your vanguard / faction with marks which you pick up from handing in bounties, completing strikes and public events. It's relatively cheap.

Yeah, I need to put more time into PvP and completing bounties. I'm usually only on for around an hour per night and tend to do a strike or two instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A level 4 can't damage a level 18 dreg in the game, why would he be able to damage a level 29 guardian if there's no balancing? The playlist just seems pointless. His headshots do 25 damage or so which is low enough, but considering a fully upgraded suros regime does only 43 in iron banner(the same it does in regular crucible) it doesn't really provide as much of a disadvantage as I would expect.

Edit: also that rocket at 3 minutes missed by quite a distance and removed all the guy's shields and two 3rds of his health.

Whilst it is designed to favour high ranks It still has to be playable. Personally I highly dislike the premise of the play list, I'd rather rely on my skill than my playtime.

AdamD wrote: »
    Whilst it is designed to favour high ranks It still has to be playable. Personally I highly dislike the premise of the play list, I'd rather rely on my skill than my playtime.

Same, but I just don't see the point of it as it is. Had a few goes with my level 9 Warlock there too and got a 6 kill streak straight off the bat against a team where the lowest level was 23. They did take slightly longer to go down though but not to the point where there was much of a disadvantage really.

You just a better or worse shot/player than them
    If you're winning with worse gear, you're better at PvP than your opponents(s)
    If you're losing with better gear you're worse at PvP than your opponents(s)
    Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just got a two engram's from the postmaster for upgrading the cryptarch. Got a rare and legendary. Decrypted them and got exotic gauntlets from the legendary one. Now I'll have to swap out my exotic chest and put in my raid one and swap my normal legenday gauntlets to these new exotic ones.
    Doing the above drops me back to level 26 but should be the better option in the long run.

You just a better or worse shot/player than them
    If you're winning with worse gear, you're better at PvP
    If you're losing with better gear you're bad at PvP
    Simples!

Irrelevant. The whole point of the playlist is your gear is supposed to matter. A level 29 should not go down easy against a level 8 autorifle. I was one shotting people with the shotgun I picked up in the tutorial mission.

• Advertisement

Irrelevant.

You may disagree, but that does not make my point irrelevant.

TBH I use a hell of a lot more player patience and memory to get kills than the actual weapons themselves.
    Things like knowing guardian spawn points, understanding maps, knowing heavy weapon spawn points etc etc are all getting me as many if not more kills per game than when i rely on straight up shoot out with an opposing player.

I've said it on this thread before and i'll say it again, I usually end up in the top third of a Crucible playlist due to a combination of regular kills and supers/melees/heavy weapons/capture points/ control defences etc. I get more points than almost all my team, yet I have an average amount of kills.
    Yet I find that even though i usually do really well in Crucible I'm coming in the bottom third in Iron Banner as I go down easier.

In a straight up fire fight i'm found out, and when i use some sneakiness and strategy i'm still rewarded.
    The whole point of the playlist is your gear is supposed to matter. A level 29 should not go down easy against a level 8 autorifle. I was one shotting people with the shotgun I picked up in the tutorial mission.

Would you say you are doing better or worse in Iron Banner than in standard crucible?

Cause the only way I can really see it being a big problem is if you are Level 8 Guardian with a Level 8 AR and you are finding it easier in Iron banner against level 23 players with level 23 weapons, Than if you too were a level 23 guardian with a level 23 weapon going up against the same.

As i said earlier, I'll give it a shot with my alternate character and see how it goes but so far it is a different experience to regular crucible, just not a completely new game type

Would you say you are doing better or worse in Iron Banner than in standard crucible?

Cause the only way I can really see it being a big problem is if you are Level 8 Guardian with a Level 8 AR and you are finding it easier in Iron banner against level 23 players with level 23 weapons, Than if you too were a level 23 guardian with a level 23 weapon going up against the same

They're interchangable as far as I can see, whatever difference is there isn't enough to put me at a clear disadvantage even using a low level character.

They're interchangable as far as I can see, whatever difference is there isn't enough to put me at a clear disadvantage even using a low level character.

Well to me that just sounds like you want there to be even wider gaps between levels so, doesn't that make the playlist more irrelevant than it currently is?

I understand you think it's irrelevant now as it's only slightly different to standard crucible, but it would be a hell of a lot more irrelevant if a level 27 player was effectively immune to anyone below level 23

I know it seems like I'm defending this subject with more fervour than it's worth, but tbh that video was just ridiculous and I can see lot's off people up in arms about things like this now, it's like people are looking for stuff to complain about.

Essentially what it boils down to is:
    Low level players can still get kills, high level players can still be killed

If Bungie did the opposite, people would be up in arms too, they can do no right.

Also, this is not all aimed at your Mickeroo, i'm just trying to inject some balance into the discussion

Well to me that just sounds like you want there to be even wider gaps between levels so, doesn't that make the playlist more irrelevant than it currently is?

I understand you think it's irrelevant now as it's only slightly different to standard crucible, but it would be a hell of a lot more irrelevant if a level 27 player was effectively immune to anyone below level 23

It would be different is the point I'm making, personally I prefer PvP to be a level playing field but if you bring out a playlist that is by definition supposed to favour high level players and it doesn't then why bring it out at all? At the moment it's just another redundant event like the queen's wrath. Story missions on higher difficulty has been replaced with the control playlist with a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Take skill out of the equation.

2 people face each other in IB, a level 29 with upgraded gear and an upgraded suros regime and a level 20 with a mix of gear and a base suros regime.

They stand in front of each other and shoot each other until 1 drops, neither missing a shot.

According to how Bungie described Iron Banner; the 1 that drops 1st should always be the level 20 but that doesn't appear to be the case according to reports.

What I think IB should have been...a mix of all of the pvp modes for levels 26+ with level advantages switched on (and working properly) PvE content has level gated stuff for people who work for it, why not PvP?

Also throw in some bloody proper matchmaking so similarly skilled people get to play with and against each other.

lol and I don't even really pvp that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I played it IB last night. I'm currently a level 13. I was level 11 when I started play last night. Played for about 2 hours.

I found I was still able to kill people that were level 20 etc fairly easily. I wont say I was top of my team every time but I was able to hold my own for the most part.

Personally I dont think I should be able to hold my own. The idea of IB to me is its for higher level players and if I come in I should be getting my arse whooped. That wasnt the case.

That said I think they have similar issues with normal crucible matches. Fair enough everyones meant to be the same as in damage etc.. no matter what level but then to allow different perks to be available to a higher level player makes no sense in my mind.

Dont get me wrong though for all the issues that this game has I still absolutely love it. I played the couple of hours last night without realising it.

I wish I had more time at it though as I'm lagging behind so much on levelling up. Looking forward to not understanding the light upgrades etc... at level 20. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

There is zero difference in Iron Banner and regular crucible, people thinking they are dying faster or slower is all psychological. afaik Bungie haven't even addressed this issue so I'm going to make a wild assumption and say they have cocked something up without acknowledging it to the public. I'd like to say they are working on a fix to it but with this event only being so long it's not like it would be worth it. It's a sorry excuse of an event at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone one Xbox one fancy doing the nightfall strike tonight ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Anyone one Xbox one fancy doing the nightfall strike tonight ?

I'd be on for it yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Me too, won't be on til about 9ish though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement