Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I got 6 but P0rpy got an exotic sniper !! DAM HIM :)

Yeah my brother got a Exotic Warlock Helm... and I got my 7 coins. I am still happy with that though, wonder what xur will have this weekend.

After the Nightfall we ran a standard level 24 strike. I got a legendary Primary weapon engram. I went to the tower to hand it in expecting more shards but I was rewarded with the Exotic Scout Rifle Multi Tool!!!

Well chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

logik wrote: »
    Yeah my brother got a Exotic Warlock Helm... and I got my 7 coins. I am still happy with that though, wonder what xur will have this weekend.

After the Nightfall we ran a standard level 24 strike. I got a legendary Primary weapon engram. I went to the tower to hand it in expecting more shards but I was rewarded with the Exotic Scout Rifle Multi Tool!!!

Well chuffed.

Nice. I want this now as I seem to have junked the legendary solar scout rifle I got from a Raid. I swear to god I'm braindead when it comes to junking stuff I shouldn't. Playing three characters and constantly swapping out loadouts doesn't help but jebus!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well chuffed.

That's a nice little hall. I've a load of strange coins and notes of light so I'd prefer some weapon drops :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was very tough, the room where you have to hold off 3 waves was the hardest I think, took ages... The captains shields are a joke not to mention the shanks.

Got 7 strange coins for completing it.

Yea that's definitely the hardest bit of that strike. The invisible blade guys are a pain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Once a week per character. So 3 character 3 lots of loot.

And the same on hard mode. The rewards stack though, so you still only need to do it once if you start on hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

awec wrote: »
    Yea that's definitely the hardest bit of that strike. The invisible blade guys are a pain too.

Yeah exactly they just appear sometimes and it is usually one hit one kill so you cant even react in time. Right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Can anything decent be bought with motes of light?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,631 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Benzino wrote: »
    Was that conovor or goose? God that went on for ages, felt as long as a raid!

Conovar here... yep, that took a freaking age! It was those damned captains causing all the greif. the ones in the first darkness zone took and lifetime to kill - I actually thought the game had broken as the shields just weren't going down!

Some horribly paniced running away in the last section too - damned captains again. Few times I really don't know how I got away when the two of ye were down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

erkifino wrote: »
    Can anything decent be bought with motes of light?

Engrams off Xur each week, or vanity items from the Speaker.

Think that's it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Loving the gun play, very addictive game play.. I'm level 21, but after you hit level 20 I find the game becomes to much of a grind..

After you hit level 20 is where the fun begins, exotic weapons, strikes, etc...

It can get boring at first but once you understand what you need to do you will be happy again...

emmet... loving that sniper rifle... lol

• Advertisement

By the way.. isnt todays daily very easy?

I just killed the wizard with 2 shots with my ice breaker and my level 27 hunter...

Gonna try with my level 25 now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yesterday's took about 5 minutes, earth is far too easy, not complaining though.

AdamD wrote: »
    Yesterday's took about 5 minutes, earth is far too easy, not complaining though.

hehe... mine wasnt a complain either! :p

Easiest 6 ascendant energy so far

Sorry correction 4 ascendant enery and 2 shards.

Again, two shots and the wizard was dead, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Conovar here... yep, that took a freaking age! It was those damned captains causing all the greif. the ones in the first darkness zone took and lifetime to kill - I actually thought the game had broken as the shields just weren't going down!

Some horribly paniced running away in the last section too - damned captains again. Few times I really don't know how I got away when the two of ye were down.

Yeah, you saved the day! When I died after Goose had died, I thought you were a goner and was cursing all the wasted time. Fair play, nicely done!

I had no real suitable weapon against those shields besides a fusion rifle, which isn't ideal considering how close you gotta get.

Hey

Me again, if anyone wants to do the nighfall today, like right now let me know as I wouldnt mind trying it again but with my hunter class (lvl 27)

Xbox 1
    P0rphyrl0n

:)

I am obsessed with rewards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

For anyone having trouble with the nightfall this week, there an easy way to do the bit where the 3 waves of enemies spawn. Just go into the cave where the hive spawn, and you will see 2 train cars, just jump on those (and hide behind when you need cover), as none of the enemies either hive or fallen will go up there, and you can pick them off. You do still have to watch out for snipers and the guys with swords, but its a good spot, and I did the night fall with one other clan member yesterday pretty quick.

Bohrio wrote: »
    After you hit level 20 is where the fun begins, exotic weapons, strikes, etc...

It can get boring at first but once you understand what you need to do you will be happy again...

emmet... loving that sniper rifle... lol

Dam you and your fancy gun :)

What's the daily today ? Yesterdays was very easy on level 28.

Dam you and your fancy gun :)

What's the daily today ? Yesterdays was very easy on level 28.

I will give you a hint...

"we have woken the hive....."

Bohrio wrote: »
    I will give you a hint...

"we have woken the hive....."

Temple of Crota ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Wouldn't it make most sense for everyone to put their PSN ID or GamerTag in their Signature here?

• Advertisement

Temple of Crota ?

Yes, I know that story well.. should be easy as well, I can probably finish it with all my classes so great news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Had a pretty good night yesterday. Got the daily, weekly and nightfall done. Got drops of legendary pulse and auto rifles, about 5 pieces of legendary armour (3 were for a different class though) and an exotic helmet (had it already, got 2 shards from the breakdown though) Leveled my character to 28, and the vangard to 3.

So to celebrate I spunked 150 marks on a fancy sparrow, and Il get the upgrade from xur this weekend hopefully.

Nights like that make it all worthwhile :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make most sense for everyone to put their PSN ID or GamerTag in their Signature here?

I'll add mine later. I'm on the mobile site now so can't see SIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Cormac... wrote: »

Good idea, just added mine.

I have as well... good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Good suggestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So I'm just shy of level 19, and I believe I have completed all the main story quests, a handful of Strikes, and a few hours in the Crucible (not a single disconnect yet!). I'm a bit behind most, so, but wanted to weigh in with a few thoughts.

It's the core gunplay loop that works in Destiny. The shooting is rock solid, or even considerably better than rock solid. All the weapons pack a punch - the sniper and fusion rifles several dozen punches - and most of the popcorn enemies are designed smartly enough that the head / chest shots always feel immensely satisfying. It's a first person shooter, and it gets the first person shooting dead on. That is more than something, and was just about enough to keep my playing to this point.

It's a shame about everything else.

The immensely satisfying core loop of Destiny is shamefully ill-served by everything that surrounds it. I actually can't believe the complete lack of variety or ambition in the mission design - every single story mission is effectively identical in terms of pacing, objectives and design. 'Respawning restricted' is not only hilariously contrived design (ditto 'deploy ghost'), but also a sad and explicit herald that you're about to experience the same waves of enemies you've taken down a dozen times before. Things are mixed up when you first arrive on the planet and the new enemy type is introduced, but things inevitably settle into business as usual almost immediately. The spaceship assault on Venus is the only one where I felt the music, level design and pacing came together to create something that felt uniquely exhilarating, but even then it was just a variation on a theme, and long before the mission ended I was back in that unimaginative loop, waiting for the inevitable appearance of the bullet sponge.

The map design is bland. They feel like mere husks - the silly lore might dictate that, but that they are so devoid of life and interactivity that it soon wears thin. Sometimes aesthetically pleasing - there's a bit on Mars where you swoop into a collapsed building from a valley that's pretty neat - but the settings are repetitive (all mere variations on 'ruined society with dark secret underneath the surface' - Mars and Venus are particularly similar) and exploration discouraged by the fact that you are not going to discover anything remotely interesting or worthwhile (the golden loot chests are too scattered and unpredictable to be truly worth pursuing). Vehicles exist, but the potential they have to mix up the combat is not explored - a surprise from the people who brought us Halo, which remains something of a gold standard in integration of vehicles. I never felt a part of a cohesive world. Strikes and raids aside, the social interactions are too contrived to suggest anything other than a load of single players in their own separate universes - it's depressing when two of us bump into each other clearly on the same mission, and we each disappear in the other's game when that cursed 'respawning restricted' skull appears.

There are little things that fundamentally undermine the big things. I have never felt loading screens have so dramatically impacted a game's quality as they do here. There's never any illusion that the 'space travel' is anything other than a menu and loading screen, which to me signals a big missed opportunity. It's a pace breaker, too - I'd be far more willing to visit The Tower more regularly if it wasn't for the painful waits to get there. I blame No Man's Sky for this - there's a game that's promising a seamless world... excuse me... universe. It remains to be seen if it will live up to its bold promises, but Destiny in comparison drowns in its 'gameness'. You'd think with allegedly the largest budget of all time, they'd have been better able to capture a legitimate sense of adventure and scale other than a couple of mid-sized maps, completely disconnected from each other by menus. When the largely underwhelming score soars to implying something dramatic and exciting, it doesn't feel like it has earned our excitement.

The story? Barely worth a mention given how farcically awful it is. Nonetheless, it's a big mistake having cutscenes and a floating exposition ball when your story is this disposable and ill-considered - it's hard to ignore when Tyrion-bot is shouting nonsense at you.

There's a train of thought when it comes to Destiny that the 'game begins at 20'. But that to me is unforgivable, comparable to Final Fantasy 13. It is wasting our time - it shouldn't be the high-level raid that finally introduces some unique and fresh mechanics. They should be getting introduced all the time to keep the player invested and interested. Destiny fails dramatically in that regard. Games have long been built around the grind and repetition - sometimes with considerable success - but rarely has it felt like such a missed opportunity as it does here. It wastes our time with repetition, shallow rewards and a deficit of imagination. We're lucky the shooting is so good, because otherwise Destiny would be damn near worthless, barring the ever amusing dance-offs in the Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There's a train of thought when it comes to Destiny that the 'game begins at 20'. But that to me is unforgivable, comparable to Final Fantasy 13. It is wasting our time - it shouldn't be the high-level raid that finally introduces some unique and fresh mechanics. They should be getting introduced all the time to keep the player invested and interested.

If you do decide to play to get to level 26 and manage to get into a Raid team, it's a great shared experience.

The rest, while accurate, and maybe in my opinion a bit overly damning, is still pretty much the general consensus from most of us.

It's a game that should really be played with 2 to 5 other people. And this is where the "clan" functionality is disappointing.

I've found even when I'm grinding waves of popcorn enemies on a mission i've done 10 times, it's still fun when doing it with guys from the Clan.

3 things will make or break your enjoyment with Destiny:
    • The willingness or eagerness to get involved and play with other friends and clan mates (it's not surprise the core 20 or so of us on PS4 that have played the most, have played for the most part in groups together)
    • Your understanding of Light, Rep, Marks, Bounties, Class Abilites, Weapon Perks and so many other things that couple of us could write a codex on at this point. The more you know, the faster you get from 20-23, from 23-26 and so forth
    • You willingness to accept they carved out 2 whole Sixths of the game from Day 1 to be the 1st 2 DLC packs, Both DLCs add about 25%-33% more content, they have been pretty blatant in cutting up the destiny cake to feed it back to us in bitesized slices.

IMHO, if you can take these 3 points in stride, it's a good ride.
    If you have a major issue with one or more, you will probably not get your moneys worth.

Multiplayer is great fun, I've now clocked up 227 matches in the Crucible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

If I was playing the game entirely on my own I'd have given up on it within a week of starting, but since I've been playing with a couple of friends almost every night I'd consider it one of my favourite gameplay experiences ever...and I haven't even tried the raid yet :)

On that note, I'm hoping to finally try it in the next week or so, along with 1 or 2 friends and whoever else is free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The playing with friends or a group argument is a valid one, and something I haven't really done bar the strikes (with randomers, but you still feel the difference when there's more of a group dynamic). It's definitely more fun that way. But it's the same with every single multiplayer game. The problem with Destiny is that while playing with others might make one more forgivable of the game's issues, it doesn't negate them. The levels are still static miles of nothingness. The mission design remains repetitive. The loading times, awkward menus and other factors still shatter immersion too often. Destiny, in co-op or otherwise, is a game with a laundry list of misguided design choices.

When it comes to a truly excellent multiplayer game, the intelligence of the design will still show even when solo. Nidhogg and Towerfall: Ascension are two good examples - each is significantly better with friends, but if you're playing solo the nuances of the level design, mechanical ingenuity and even the superb art (Nidhogg particularly) are still readily apparent. That, to me, is where Destiny falls down - while playing with others is undoubtedly preferable as it almost always is in games with a strong co-op or MP component, that doesn't come close to forgiving everything the game does wrong. All in my opinion, it goes without saying, and I honestly don't know if I'll have the patience to get to raid level where the game apparently finally shines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement