Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

just hit Level 20 last night and the options for other play have certainly opened up to me now. I've enjoyed getting to where I am now but am concerned that the consensus is that the grind starts now. I've only just unlocked Mars so still have a bit of the story to finish out but I'm concerned that I won't be getting any legendary or better than rare kit without doing any particular games modes or actions.

Anyone fancy filling me in on the best ways to focus my play so I don't wallow on level 20 subpar gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

djkeogh wrote: »
    just hit Level 20 last night and the options for other play have certainly opened up to me now. I've enjoyed getting to where I am now but am concerned that the consensus is that the grind starts now. I've only just unlocked Mars so still have a bit of the story to finish out but I'm concerned that I won't be getting any legendary or better than rare kit without doing any particular games modes or actions.

Anyone fancy filling me in on the best ways to focus my play so I don't wallow on level 20 subpar gear?

Best thing to do is to buy Legendary gear. That way you don't have to reply on luck.

So either concentrate on earning Reputation and Marks in PvP or keep doing strikes to earn Vanguard Reputation and Marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So either concentrate on earning Reputation and Marks in PvP or keep doing strikes to earn Vanguard Reputation and Marks.

Do bounties to earn vanguard and crucible reputation faster, just doing strikes and pvp on its own, will take ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I find patrol missions best for vanguard/faction reputation, 12-25 rep per mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I've just hit lvl 21 Hunter myself and, besides a three hour stint at trying to clear the Summoning Pits on the level 20 strike with random players without success, (
    In the first set of attempts we couldn't even get past the section where the Ghost is decoding the runes to open the door)
    it's been mainly the story missions and getting my arse kicked in the Crucible.

I'd love any advice on adapting my style for the Strikes.

I'm really enjoying the game and I can see the quest for ever improving gear getting addictive but the grind of playing through the strikes with no real game plan isn't floating my boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Whether you're ranking Crucible or Vanguard its really important that you get your bounties, they speed the process up hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

All in my opinion, it goes without saying, and I honestly don't know if I'll have the patience to get to raid level where the game apparently finally shines.

It honestly is quite fun but then you realise it's the only 1. That's it. And you're back to the grind to level up more for no particular reason at the moment. The lack of content is frightening and even more so when you realise the xbox version has even less content.

I completely agree with everything you posted. I don't know if I mentioned it here but I remember playing Dead Island with friends and that was literally the only reason I played it as the game itself was terrible. I would say Destiny is a step up from that game. I could actually play it by myself but I don't think that's saying much.

I would say it's more addictive than a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

ghostchant wrote: »
    If I was playing the game entirely on my own I'd have given up on it within a week of starting, but since I've been playing with a couple of friends almost every night I'd consider it one of my favourite gameplay experiences ever...and I haven't even tried the raid yet :)

On that note, I'm hoping to finally try it in the next week or so, along with 1 or 2 friends and whoever else is free.
    djkeogh wrote: »

I've just hit lvl 21 Hunter myself and, besides a three hour stint at trying to clear the Summoning Pits on the level 20 strike with random players without success, (
    In the first set of attempts we couldn't even get past the section where the Ghost is decoding the runes to open the door)
    it's been mainly the story missions and getting my arse kicked in the Crucible.

I'd love any advice on adapting my style for the Strikes.

I'm really enjoying the game and I can see the quest for ever improving gear getting addictive but the grind of playing through the strikes with no real game plan isn't floating my boat.

Are you all in the clan?
    http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/118535

Hi Cormac, I'm in the clan but haven't played with anyone yet. I've been mainly focusing on the story missions and leveling up to 20.

Hi Cormac, I'm in the clan but haven't played with anyone yet. I've been mainly focusing on the story missions and leveling up to 20.

Ok, if you're on PS4, please private message my PSN account (GenericDreadHead) so I can add you to the group chat room. And ensure you have "Set as PS clan" on the Bungie site

If you are on X-Box One, check out the "forums" section within the clan for the guys GamerTags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

While the game is lacking in content, giving up at lvl 20 would be silly, you wouldn't have done the strikes/raid yet, pvp is also quite fun. Never felt the grind from 1-20, really only becomes a thing once you need materials to rank up your legendary armour imo.

AdamD wrote: »
    While the game is lacking in content, giving up at lvl 20 would be silly, you wouldn't have done the strikes/raid yet, pvp is also quite fun. Never felt the grind from 1-20, really only becomes a thing once you need materials to rank up your legendary armour imo.

Yeah i'd have to agree. Level 23/24 is where you will find yourself having to do some farming and grinding alright. But the Raid is worth it. Stopping at level 20 is not recommended. Where as if you get to level 24 and still don't like it, fair enough

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ok, if you're on PS4, please private message my PSN account (GenericDreadHead) so I can add you to the group chat room. And ensure you have "Set as PS clan" on the Bungie site

If you are on X-Box One, check out the "forums" section within the clan for the guys GamerTags

Cheers Cormac, I'll get on to the Xbox one forums.

And stay there! :mad:

just kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

You've only really completed the game when you can beat me in a game of Rumble.

Gandalph wrote: »
    You've only really completed the game when you can beat me in a game of Rumble.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

If you are stuck on strikes, I am in the middle of an exotic bounty and I need to run 24 strikes. I will run you through some strikes if you need some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

My 2 cent (3 if you account for yesterday's fantastic budget :D) - I had been following the game for a while. Really intriguing concept. Then the beta: I did not like it. Really disappointed with what was on show. (I know it was a beta, and have to accept some flaws). I just could not see myself getting it.

Then, while in Smyth's getting some stuff for the kids, for whatever reason, picked it up. My impression has done a complete 180 since the beta. Yes, the story is meh, Yes, it gets a bit repetitive, BUT, visually it is stunning (standing on the moon for the first time, the destroyed ISS, the Milky Way). The musical score is fantastic. The gunplay, as has been said numerous times is just top notch. Leveling 1 - 20 I did not find to be that much of a chore. The grinding for Light levels and weapon upgrades is nothing we haven't seen before. They do need to work on the RNG mission/crucible rewards. They have slapped the Cryptarch across the face a few times with a wet fish (if there are any fish left) to address the Purple engram giving blues and greens. To me, the biggest gripe I have are the loading times. They are criminal, it feels like it takes forever to transition from one planet to another.

Do I feel like I have wasted my cash? Not in the slightest. I might actually be able to get to see the raid over a few nights, if I ever get to 27/28.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

logik wrote: »
    If you are stuck on strikes, I am in the middle of an exotic bounty and I need to run 24 strikes. I will run you through some strikes if you need some help.

have you done the nightfall already?

looking to do it again with my hunter class

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Since you all added your GTs into your sigs I was having a snoop around on destinytracker looking at stats

Most interesting find is that poor old Cormac is in the top 9% of players for number of suicides :pac:

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Since you all added your GTs into your sigs I was having a snoop around on destinytracker looking at stats

Most interesting find is that poor old Cormac is in the top 9% of players for number of suicides :pac:

Well yeah.... but you should see the other guy!

Also, when I checked there, it said top 7%... and i'm in work, yet it's still going up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

My 2 cent (3 if you account for yesterday's fantastic budget :D) - I had been following the game for a while. Really intriguing concept. Then the beta: I did not like it. Really disappointed with what was on show. (I know it was a beta, and have to accept some flaws). I just could not see myself getting it.

Then, while in Smyth's getting some stuff for the kids, for whatever reason, picked it up. My impression has done a complete 180 since the beta. Yes, the story is meh, Yes, it gets a bit repetitive, BUT, visually it is stunning (standing on the moon for the first time, the destroyed ISS, the Milky Way). The musical score is fantastic. The gunplay, as has been said numerous times is just top notch. Leveling 1 - 20 I did not find to be that much of a chore. The grinding for Light levels and weapon upgrades is nothing we haven't seen before. They do need to work on the RNG mission/crucible rewards. They have slapped the Cryptarch across the face a few times with a wet fish (if there are any fish left) to address the Purple engram giving blues and greens. To me, the biggest gripe I have are the loading times. They are criminal, it feels like it takes forever to transition from one planet to another.

Do I feel like I have wasted my cash? Not in the slightest. I might actually be able to get to see the raid over a few nights, if I ever get to 27/28.

Couldn't agree more. Yes there are some aspects that could be improved and the story is lacking but some of the criticisms being thrown around are overly harsh in my opinion. I find the game is great fun and even after a month of playing I still can't wait to get home and fire it up for more.

cdb wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Yes there are some aspects that could be improved and the story is lacking but some of the criticisms being thrown around are overly harsh in my opinion. I find the game is great fun and even after a month of playing I still can't wait to get home and fire it up for more.

Exactly. There has been so much whining and complaining about aspects that are common throughout gaming it's unreal. People complaining about the grind are probably the same people who play FFXIV (now THAT'S a grindy game).

They do need to put some serious work into the social side of it. Being in a clan means nothing, in game, at the moment. There is no way to see clan mates without them also being on your PS/XO friends list.

Like you though, I look forward to logging in for a couple hours to attempt bounties and Tiger Strikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People complaining about the grind are probably the same people who play FFXIV (now THAT'S a grindy game).

What a peculiar assumption.

What a peculiar assumption.

Yes it is. I think I have to retract that one bit. I should have said they should compare it to FFXIV, which is a grindy game. My bad.

maximoose wrote: »

Yeh he tries to convince us that he got shot or blown up by supplements during Atheon, but we all know he just keeps falling off the different ledges :L

Gandalph wrote: »
    Yeh he tries to convince us that he got shot or blown up by supplements during Atheon, but we all know he just keeps falling off the different ledges :L

The shame of it all :pac:

"I float like a rock and sting like an idiot with a shamefully under power Auto rifle" isn't that how the famous quote went?

My favourite suicide, which is a hard one to choose, as there have been so many good ones, was the time I was 8890/9000 in the Vanguard bounty to get 9K Exp without dying.... we killed Sepkis Prime and I said I'd try float over to that platform across the water to have an ole nose, queue: "Turn Back 4, 3, 2, 1," the minute i go about 15 feet of the way there. Binned Vanguard bounties right there and then and went back to PvP.

Just checked my Raid stats there, 344 deaths in 4 Raids :eek:

The shame of it all :pac:

"I float like a rock and sting like an idiot with a shamefully under power Auto rifle" isn't that how the famous quote went?

My favourite suicide, which is a hard one to choose, as there have been so many good ones, was the time I was 8890/9000 in the Vanguard bounty to get 9K Exp without dying.... we killed Sepkis Prime and I said I'd try float over to that platform across the water to have an ole nose, queue: "Turn Back 4, 3, 2, 1," the minute i go about 15 feet of the way there. Binned Vanguard bounties right there and then and went back to PvP.

Just checked my Raid stats there, 344 deaths in 4 Raids :eek:

Or how about when I was just casually strolling around the crucible one day only to find an enemy titan and his possy held up in a nice big purple bubble taking a zone for themselves. I though this awful rude so I was contemplating running into the bubble and using my super. As I assessed the situation and was ready to make my move, who comes sprinting around the corner with his rocket launcher firmly faced towards the ground at his feet, only Cormac, frantically yelling the words "IF I CAN'T HAVE THIS ZONE THEN NONE OF US CAN!!". I wish I could of talked him out of this suicidal move but it was too late, he had already turned that shielded fortress into a dome of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yep I am - also in the lvl 23+ chat, though have been silent thus far :)

• Advertisement

Many will complain about the game, but that run of 15-20 Iron Banner Matches was a serious laugh :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement