Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In case some of you guys never knew the difference between Solar, Void and Arc damage have a read below

Each element is tied to a certain enemy faction. and their shields is that element. using the element on them deals bonus damage and helps take down the shields much faster.

Fallen - Arc damage, signified by blue shields
    Hive - Solar damage, signified by orange shields
    Vex - Void damage, signified by purple shields (exception: some Harpies have arc shields)
    Cabal - Solar damage, signified by orange shields
    Most of the time you won't need the element to deal damage, but in a few rare cases I've noticed one area so far with Vex Harpies with Arc shields that take damage from Arc attacks, but resist all others (still do damage, just a lot less).

Your primary weapon will usually be Kinetic damage. Your special and heavy weapons can and should have an element. Preferably one of each element so you are prepared for any encounter.

Cheers Wonda!

I'm a bit pissed that I've dismantled all the armour and weapons I got along the way after realising they're level locked. I put the odd few things away but they're all level 17 plus.

So if I do another character class now I'll be starting with a bow and arrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quad_red wrote: »
    Cheers Wonda!

I'm a bit pissed that I've dismantled all the armour and weapons I got along the way after realising they're level locked. I put the odd few things away but they're all level 17 plus.

I thought the same, but with the way the early game works I don't think it makes a differnce. you will regularly pick up weapons and armour just above the level you are currently on. I think the Strangers gun you get completing the game is the only weapon I found useful for my Alt, as it is a very good level 16 gun (imo). Having a stockpile of weapons and especially armour ready to go at level 20 is the big one. for my alts I went from level 20 to 25/26 in 30 seconds because I had the legendary or exotic armour ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Having high intellect armour (the kind that actually reads Joyce and listens to Lyric FM) helps you throw more grenades.

OBVIOUSLY!!!

Well of course :pac:
    Cheers Wonda!

I thought the same, but with the way the early game works I don't think it makes a differnce. you will regularly pick up weapons and armour just above the level you are currently on. I think the Strangers gun you get completing the game is the only weapon I found useful for my Alt, as it is a very good level 16 gun (imo). Having a stockpile of weapons and especially armour ready to go at level 20 is the big one. for my alts I went from level 20 to 25/26 in 30 seconds because I had the legendary or exotic armour ready to go.

Well not necessarily, different classes use different armour so you won't miss that. Armour matters not, it's class-locked, only hunters can use hunter armour etc.
    Buy yourself a Green Shingen-C and a Blue Shingen-E or any combination of that from the gunsmith (check as you get/return bounties) and lob it into the vault. Alt character sorted wit ha level 5+ and 10+ weapon

Banshee Gunsmith is your Alt friend :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well of course :pac:

Well not necessarily, different classes use different armour so you won't miss that. Armour matters not, it's class-locked, only hunters can use hunter armour etc.
    Buy yourself a Green Shingen-C and a Blue Shingen-E or any combination of that from the gunsmith (check as you get/return bounties) and lob it into the vault. Alt character sorted wit ha level 5+ and 10+ weapon

Banshee Gunsmith is your Alt friend :)

suppose it was different back in the day when your drops weren't class locked.

As a hunter I was getting titan and warlock armour.

#V1.01NeverForget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You can still get drops for other classes, got a hunter helmet there on Tuesday.

wes wrote: »
    You can still get drops for other classes, got a hunter helmet there on Tuesday.

Can you? I got a warlock one the other day, and a hunter one but I think they were from the DLC 'care package' which is for any/all characters you have so I'm not surprised it wasn't class locked. I thought it drops and that were class locked by a patch a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I personally wouldn't level up you purple or exotic armour anymore.
    The stuff you have looks like it will only get you to level 29 Max when fully upgraded.
    You can buy brand new purple gear from vendors that will actually start you at 28.5 and the same goes for any DLC drops/engrams.

It's not an exact science but it's pretty much 12 light per level (after 20).
    You can see how much the Maximum light your armour can net when fully upgraded by hovering over it. I think the maximum on most of your purples will be 27 light (helm 30). All new purple start at 27 light and have a max of 33.

You'll only be kicking yourself if you throw bad shards after good shards as they are the most time consuming thing to gather right now.

I might be wrong, but it looks like you have levelled New Monarchy and bought some/all gear from them Pre-DLC.
    If you go back to see them now, they will have gear better than what you have ready to buy :)

Also Pro-Tip, they will always have 2 of each armour type (with the same light level), the normal thing is to look at the buffs and see which ones are best, but don not forget to look at the Discipline, Intellect and Strength values.

It looks like you went all-in (100%) with Strength and bare in mid that only reduces you melee-power cooldown, whereas you have very low intellect and discipline and those are for grenade and super power cooldown,

Getting a high level in those can reduce your cool down by 100% letting you do fists of havoc twice as much.

Ok wow thats a lot of info. I just need to try and do it correctly now then.

So firstly stop upgrading my armour. Ok.

Next I need to buy new chest, leg and gauntlets from New Monarchy.

Then level them up. Then I can dismantle the old purple gear as I dont need them anymore I assume and they give me is it ascendancy materials to help me upgrade?

How about the helmet? I only got that recently. Should I buy another Exotic helmet from Xur the next time I see him with a Titan one for the same reason as the other armour?

Thanks! I dont want to do it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Lads, really struggling to hit 28 at this stage, all legandary amour, but only 2 legendary primaries.

I've got the exotic bounties for Pocket Infinity & Thorn, but I find them hard enough to complete. If I could jump in on a NF or VoG with ye so I could learn something, it would be much appreciated!

GT: Tobes72 on PS4

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Before you blow all your marks on new armour, if you have raid armour from VoG you only need 2 new pieces of armour with 33 light, an upgraded 36 light exotic and one piece of 30 light VoG armour to get to lvl 31.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

onlyTobes wrote: »
    Lads, really struggling to hit 28 at this stage, all legandary amour, but only 2 legendary primaries.

I've got the exotic bounties for Pocket Infinity & Thorn, but I find them hard enough to complete. If I could jump in on a NF or VoG with ye so I could learn something, it would be much appreciated!

For the Pocket Infinity bounty, just keep starting a Nightfall solo, get your kills, get killed then start it again - I got the 200 kills in about an hour. Sometimes you can get dregs or whatnot lined up so you get 3-4 in the one shot too.

Add a few people whose PSNs you see on here. Join the Clan too, have a look for Cormacs posts.

My PSN is Conovar. Add GenericDreadHead and Sniper_Samurai too - you can be added to the PS4 chats (if you want, some people don't like the notifications). Once you start adding friends you will see when we are online and what we are doing. Hop on in to fireteams or post in the chat threads what you are looking to do (weekly, nightfall, daily etc). Its a helpful and fun group of PS4 players, you'll be dragged along if needs be!

Here is the PS4 Clan - http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/658545

That is the second clan, as we had maxed out numbers on the first clan. main part is friending people from either clan, and getting stuck in.

(here is the original, full, clan - you can grand gamer tags off here too: http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Playstation/118535)

Ok wow thats a lot of info. I just need to try and do it correctly now then.

So firstly stop upgrading my armour. Ok.

Next I need to buy new chest, leg and gauntlets from New Monarchy.

Then level them up. Then I can dismantle the old purple gear as I dont need them anymore I assume and they give me is it ascendancy materials to help me upgrade?

How about the helmet? I only got that recently. Should I buy another Exotic helmet from Xur the next time I see him with a Titan one for the same reason as the other armour?

Thanks! I dont want to do it wrong.

Buy legs and Arms 1st (60 Marks each) tomorrow and when you get your next commendation (for levelling the crucible, a faction or vanguard) you can decide if you want to use that on a replacement chest piece or a Max Light Level 33 helm. Maybe wait till tomorrow cause you see if you can get one of the new Max Light Level 36 exotics for Xur and then buy a light level 33 purple to replace your current exotic. Like if he has an exotic arm piece that you want and can afford you'll be kicking yourself if you just bought a purple one.

In plain english:

PRE-DLC
    • Blues - if you're lucky can only get you to about level 24 fully maxed (max light 20 i think)
    • Purples: Max Light 27
    • VoG or Iron Banner Purples: Max Light 30
    • Exotics: Max Light 30

POST-DLC
    • Blues - Slightly increased (but cannot confirm), think you might be able to hit 26 with them with some luck
    • Purples: Max Light 33
    • Iron Banner Purples (next tuesday): Max Light 33
    • Crotas End Purples: Max Light 36
    • Exotics: Max Light 36 (this is why you may want to re-roll your exotic armour on Friday if Xur has your piece in his 2 choices for your class, if not, buy a new Exotic)

Check the lebvels/ammounts here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2i7apt/guide_max_light_level_raid_gear/

I'm pretty much 99.99% confident that from level 30 onwards, it's 12 light points per level, but i cannot be sure as I haven't hit it myself, I'm just number crunching.

So 33x4 pieces or armour = 132.... 132/12 = 11, so thats 11 levels above 20 = 31!
    36x4 = 144.... 144/12 = 12 (level 32)

I would buy boots 1st if I were you (as there is no such thing as exotic boots at present)
    Then see what Xur has Friday/Saturday and come back and post her and some one can advise you if I'm not online

Add a few people whose PSNs you see on here. Join the Clan too, have a look for Cormacs posts.

My PSN is Conovar. Add GenericDreadHead and Sniper_Samurai too - you can be added to the PS4 chats (if you want, some people don't like the notifications). Once you start adding friends you will see when we are online and what we are doing. Hop on in to fireteams or post in the chat threads what you are looking to do (weekly, nightfall, daily etc). Its a helpful and fun group of PS4 players, you'll be dragged along if needs be!

Thanks Mitch, I should be on most of the weekend, and most evenings next week, I'll be sure to look ye up online.

Quick question, will Xur be selling exotic guns/gear for all classes tomorrow? Will they still cost the same as before?

Without quoting your entire reply thanks a mil Cormac. Much appreciated.

I only have 44 crucible marks currently so first things first I need to get more of those which is grand as I love playing crucible(even though I suck)

Then I'll start with the boots and wait till Friday for the other bits you talked about.

Lastly, just think its worth saying again fair play to all who help with advice and invites to strikes etc..

I think a friendly community is a massive help for any game but in particular a game like Destiny that does very little to explain well anything to be honest. You just learn as you go which is particularly daunting for casuals like myself who dont have the time necessarily to correct a mistake like levelling up the wrong gear etc..

So yeah cheers guys. Will add more of ye over this weekend. I keep meaning to do it but get sidetracked playing! lol

Can I ask a question about clans/friends as well.

I'm a member of the boards.ie clan.

But what does this actually mean in gameplay terms? Like, I can't see any of you guys in the game unless we're friends, right?

redt0m wrote: »
    For the Pocket Infinity bounty, just keep starting a Nightfall solo, get your kills, get killed then start it again - I got the 200 kills in about an hour. Sometimes you can get dregs or whatnot lined up so you get 3-4 in the one shot too.

Just realised I can't access the NF without buying the DLC, balls.

But what does this actually mean in gameplay terms? Like, I can't see any of you guys in the game unless we're friends, right?

correct.

There are some achievements that you can get for beating stuff with all clan members, Raids I think - but in general terms the clans mean little, which is surprising in a game billed as a social revolution for FPS titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thats only for this week. Regular Nightfalls will return on Tuesday. They really should have both Weeklys set up for those with and without the DLC.

• Advertisement

correct.

There are some achievements that you can get for beating stuff with all clan members, Raids I think - but in general terms the clans mean little, which is surprising in a game billed as a social revolution for FPS titles.

At least we can all dance and sit together. We can also point at each other. :eek:

At least we can all dance and sit together. We can also point at each other. :eek:

We can even point and sit and dance whilst using the Vita which was worrying for a while when we didnt know how.

You could always spot the Vita user by the jumping up and down at the end of a strike instead of the usual dance off. :P

We can even point and sit and dance whilst using the Vita which was worrying for a while when we didnt know how.

You could always spot the Vita user by the jumping up and down at the end of a strike instead of the usual dance off. :P

For those that dont know:

Screen_Shot_2014-09-05_at_11.34.29_AM.0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

My bounties are broke, iv done the devils lair and the black garden on heroic modifier and neither bounty has completed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can confirm its 12 per level all the way up

What Mitch/Conovar said, join the new feeder/overflow clan and friend myself, him and sniper and we'll do the rest. IF you can PM me on PSN your level too that will be a big help

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/658545

Ok, this is actually a kind of a tricky one to answer.
    Back in the day we had 5 chat rooms, ranging from players less than lvl20 up to people lvl28 and beyond.
    Now we have 3 (*cough cough* i'll be restructuring these soon too so brace yourself for another ranting text dump *cough cough*).
    Those are 20-28, 28-30 and 30+

Where your difficulty comes in, is that a lot of the day 1 players left after they hit anywhere between level 16 and level 24 (approx). So the only people who were left were the more hardcore players.

Now most of us are well and truly beyond 20 by a lot and even have multiple characters. What you will almost certainly need to do is get to level 20 solo (i wish i didn't have to say that), but most of the clan are 26+ ya see. Even when I was getting my hunter up to 20 recently I couldn't find anyone in my friends list that was below level 26 (and I've added 120 players between both clans to my friends).

So you will probably find the game only really opens up when you hit 20+, now correct me if i'm wrong, but i think I added you to the 20-28 chat room?
    If so, just send a friend request to every single guardian you can see who is in that chat. If I'm honest though, the level 20-28 chat is quiet.

If you find after hitting level 20 you still don't have a decent list of people, message me again, I can add you to the 28+ chat which is a LOT more active, you can grab some peoples PSN IDs from the right hand side of the chat, fire off some friend requests and then leave the chat so you don't get spammed by notifications if you like.

It's just unfortunately the down side of coming onboard 3 moths after launch.
    Just be thankful that the game is 1,000x better. Oh i could tell you some stories about the launch title mechanics that would keep you awake at night.

If this is all too much, send me a Party Invite if you see me online and i'll talk you through it
    Without quoting your entire reply thanks a mil Cormac. Much appreciated.

I only have 44 crucible marks currently so first things first I need to get more of those which is grand as I love playing crucible(even though I suck)

Then I'll start with the boots and wait till Friday for the other bits you talked about.

Lastly, just think its worth saying again fair play to all who help with advice and invites to strikes etc..

I think a friendly community is a massive help for any game but in particular a game like Destiny that does very little to explain well anything to be honest. You just learn as you go which is particularly daunting for casuals like myself who dont have the time necessarily to correct a mistake like levelling up the wrong gear etc..

So yeah cheers guys. Will add more of ye over this weekend. I keep meaning to do it but get sidetracked playing! lol

If I had to play it with cheeky american swag fools I'd be long gone from this game tbh.

You'll grind marks pretty quick, 2 for a loss, 3 for a win. I'll be playing 10 games of PvP a day for the next wheel (doing daily bounty x 2 characters) so feel free to jump in.

You'll have to either wait a week.... or buy the DLC.... I'd buy the DLC if I were you, it's really decent and you can do more activities with more people in the endgame (26+)
    correct.

Without tooting my own horn, we'd be f**ked if it wasn't for the PSN chat rooms really, the clan functionality is a joke

Is the Vita even a funtional device for doing strikes?
    I thought people only used it for farming materials (yeah... remember farming :mad: remember, I know I'll never forget, f**king farming.... f**king whole week of my life wasted... .f**k :mad: )

Ok, this is actually a kind of a tricky one to answer.
    Back in the day we had 5 chat rooms, ranging from players less than lvl20 up to people lvl28 and beyond.
    Now we have 3 (*cough cough* i'll be restructuring these soon too so brace yourself for another ranting text dump *cough cough*).
    Those are 20-28, 28-30 and 30+

Where your difficulty comes in, is that a lot of the day 1 players left after they hit anywhere between level 16 and level 24 (approx). So the only people who were left were the more hardcore players.

Now most of us are well and truly beyond 20 by a lot and even have multiple characters. What you will almost certainly need to do is get to level 20 solo (i wish i didn't have to say that), but most of the clan are 26+ ya see. Even when I was getting my hunter up to 20 recently I couldn't find anyone in my friends list that was below level 26 (and I've added 120 players between both clans to my friends).

Cheers for the info, Cormac :)

Have bashed away to level 20 by myself. It's been pretty straight forward really. Went up a level every night I played, have only really come across one really hard to kill enemy (under a hangar in the forgotten shore - took a lot of ammo to take down).

But it looks like to proceed further at any pace I'll have to start doing raids (which I haven't before) and doing the Crucible (which I avoided after being utterly creamed trying it at level 11).
    So you will probably find the game only really opens up when you hit 20+, now correct me if i'm wrong, but i think I added you to the 20-28 chat room?
    If so, just send a friend request to every single guardian you can see who is in that chat. If I'm honest though, the level 20-28 chat is quiet.

If you find after hitting level 20 you still don't have a decent list of people, message me again, I can add you to the 28+ chat which is a LOT more active, you can grab some peoples PSN IDs from the right hand side of the chat, fire off some friend requests and then leave the chat so you don't get spammed by notifications if you like.

It's just unfortunately the down side of coming onboard 3 moths after launch.
    Just be thankful that the game is 1,000x better. Oh i could tell you some stories about the launch title mechanics that would keep you awake at night.

If this is all too much, send me a Party Invite if you see me online and i'll talk you through it

Sorry to sound retarded but how do I see chats? I'm on X1 and I don't remember seeing chat options. Looked at the destiny iOS app there and I can go into the Boards clan on this and see the various members.In 'Latest' there are threads (most a few weeks old) with people looking for partners.
    :confused:

But it looks like to proceed further at any pace I'll have to start doing raids (which I haven't before) and doing the Crucible (which I avoided after being utterly creamed trying it at level 11).

You can buy level 31 gear in the tower now from any vendor if you just level a faction/vanguard/crucible
    Sorry to sound retarded but how do I see chats? I'm on X1 and I don't remember seeing chat options. Looked at the destiny iOS app there and I can go into the Boards clan on this and see the various members.In 'Latest' there are threads (most a few weeks old) with people looking for partners.
    :confused:

Ah, that's you problem, I'm on PS4 (and as are the chat rooms), they are actually on the console and app itself

I guess just spam all these guys with friend requests:
    http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Xbox/118535

At this point, I'll let one of the X-Box Admins take you under their wing and help.

If I had to play it with cheeky american swag fools I'd be long gone from this game tbh.

You'll grind marks pretty quick, 2 for a loss, 3 for a win. I'll be playing 10 games of PvP a day for the next wheel (doing daily bounty x 2 characters) so feel free to jump in.

Is the Vita even a funtional device for doing strikes?
    I thought people only used it for farming materials (yeah... remember farming :mad: remember, I know I'll never forget, f**king farming.... f**king whole week of my life wasted... .f**k :mad: )

Thats cool I'll jump in with you on the pvp if I see you on.

Ok as for the Vita, I know its not ideal and I do try and jump on to the telly if the missus isnt watching it or I'm on later at night but we only have the one telly and no room for another so I'm stuck with the Vita quite a bit tbh.

I played two strikes last night. First one I played on the Vita and I think I actually performed slightly better than the second one which I jumped onto the telly for as the missus wasnt watching it.

The controls arent perfect but are still good and precise when you get used to them.

The screen being smaller doesnt help but again I never feel it hinders me hugely. Thats more down to my lack of skill in general or lack there of! :p

And lastly and for me the biggest potential issue is the connection. I had a few issues about a month ago now which meant I didnt play strikes with ye as I didnt want to be off and on etc.. but since then my connection touch wood has been pretty good and I've felt confident in that the connection will stick with it for the entire strike or even PVP.. I've rarely get disconnected and if I do I just reconnect quickly and to be fair it rarely even judders/slows down these days.

So to sum up I'm probably on the Vita at least 50% of the time tbh. Its not ideal but I've grown to accept it as someone who has already limited gaming time.

Similar to my Wii U playing being mainly on the gamepad itself which again isnt ideal as the resolution isnt as good but hey I'm still getting to play some games.

ps and God the farming! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Advertisement

Just send me a party invite if i'm already in PvP as you cannot join a Fire Team while they are in PvP or Matchmaking.... so thats like all of the time. If I see a Party invite, I'll know to go back orbit if i just started a game or as soon as the current game is over.

Not being able to join a Fireteam when it's matchamaking and has 3/12 guardians is a joke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement