Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

quad_red wrote: »
    I'm confused

My in game banner gives the number 23 indicating I am a level 23. So does the initial splash screen in the app.

But if I got into the legend section of the app it says I'm level 20 with 23 light.

But if I have 23 light I should be level 21 according to online guides?

I'm confused...

The light number on the right is your light level, if you hover over that with your cursor it will tell you how much combined light is on the armour you have equipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Started the Eris quest last night, and in the warmind section, decided to switch weapons and ended up accidentally dismantling my Vanquisher VIII.
    So stupid I am. Back to the pulse/scout for the time being, grind some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The light number on the right is your light level, if you hover over that with your cursor it will tell you how much combined light is on the armour you have equipped.

So you're telling me that up to level 20 the number on people's banners is there level and after that it's how much light their armour is giving them?

Destiny_banner.jpg

I am level 20 with 23 light.

Destiny_level.jpg

But if I have 23 light then surely I should be level 21?

destiny_light_levels.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Hover over the 23 in your profile. It should tell you how much light you have. It will be between 43 and 54. 23 is your light level.

Hoovering over the 23 in my profile on Bungie.net does nothing.

With the armour I have equipped I seem to have the following:
    +15 light from Helmet
    +15 light from Gauntlets
    +15 light from Chest armour

So 45 light then? Or is there some sort of calculation going on here?

Where does 23 come out of 45? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

So you're telling me that up to level 20 the number on people's banners is there level and after that it's how much light their armour is giving them?

I am level 20 with 23 light.

But if I have 23 light then surely I should be level 21?

You are effectively level 23. Level 20 is the soft cap and currently Light Level 32 is the Hard Cap. To increase your Light Level, you need to equip gear with higher light capabilities:

VoG Raid Gear: Caps at Light Level 30
    Iron Banner Gear: Caps at 31
    Vanguard / New Monarchy / Future War Cult / Dead Orbit: Caps at 33
    Crotas End Raid Gear: Caps at 36
    Exotics: Cap at 36

To get to 32 you'll need 1 Exotic Piece and 3 Crotas Raid pieces

The only other game I can compare this to is Diablo 3. The level cap in that game is 70, but, once you hit that you can start earning Paragon Levels.

You are effectively level 23. Level 20 is the soft cap and currently Light Level 32 is the Hard Cap. To increase your Light Level, you need to equip gear with higher light capabilities:

VoG Raid Gear: Caps at Light Level 30
    Iron Banner Gear: Caps at 31
    Vanguard / New Monarchy / Future War Cult / Dead Orbit: Caps at 33
    Crotas End Raid Gear: Caps at 34 ?
    Exotics: Cap at 36

To get to 32 you'll need 1 Exotic Piece and 3 Crotas Raid pieces

The only other game I can compare this to is Diablo 3. The level cap in that game is 70, but, once you hit that you can start earning Paragon Levels.

Ah, ok. I knew progression after level 20 was based on light levels but I didn't realise that the actual 'level' counter stayed stuck at 20.

But where does 23 come out of 45 light points from the stuff I have equipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Crota's end cap at 36

Hoovering over the 23 in my profile on Bungie.net does nothing.

With the armour I have equipped I seem to have the following:
    +15 light from Helmet
    +15 light from Gauntlets
    +15 light from Chest armour

So 45 light then? Or is there some sort of calculation going on here?

Where does 23 come out of 45? :confused:
    destiny_light_levels.jpg

So, you have 3 Pieces of gear fully leveled to light 15. As you say, this gives you 45 light points. From the image above, you can see that you have passed the number of light points required to hit level 23. When you start equipping Legendary gear, you'll notice that your level will increase. You should be aiming to equip Vanguard or Faction legendaries to get you to 30 / 31.

Here's another graph showing the number of Light Points required per Light Level:

1Q59w41.png

If you have a look at my Titan you'll see that if I maxed out the Light Points on my gear, I would total 135 Light Points (36 for the Exotic Helm and 33 for each of my Gloves / Chest / Boots) which would get me half way to Light Level 32

• Advertisement

So, you have 3 Pieces of gear fully leveled to light 15. As you say, this gives you 45 light points. From the image above, you can see that you have passed the number of light points required to hit level 23.

Ah flip. Sorry, basic flipping maths escaped me there.
    When you start equipping Legendary gear, you'll notice that your level will increase. You should be aiming to equip Vanguard or Faction legendaries to get you to 30 / 31.

At this point I'll take whatever legendaries I am able to get! Not a sniff yet. Did a crucible match last night and was finally able to compete (as in, I didn't come last in my team). But all I got was crap level 16 gear whilst everyone below me (two guys) and everyone above me (bar the guy who came first) got incoherent engrams.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

At this point I'll take whatever legendaries I am able to get! Not a sniff yet. Did a crucible match last night and was finally able to compete (as in, I didn't come last in my team). But all I got was crap level 16 gear whilst everyone below me (two guys) and everyone above me (bar the guy who came first) got incoherent engrams.

Level up your faction or Vanguard (I find vanguard easier, personally) and you will be able to buy all the armour you need to get you to Light Level 31. Might take a while to level up vanguard/faction and earn enough marks.

Just realized from reading that I need to buy a banner from one of the factions to get more gear.

Is there any difference between dead orbit or the others?

so at the moment I can get 1 character to lv 31.5 and another to lv 31.

Need Raid Helm, Raid Chest, Raid Arms*2, Raid Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dead Orbit's gear doesn't do intellect. Strength and discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

dont take too much notice of that, you'll generally only get loot thats related to your level - i.e. when you're low level, you'll only get greens, then blues. chances are that even if you did get a decoherent engram it would have only decoded to something sh1te anyway.

Just realized from reading that I need to buy a banner from one of the factions to get more gear.

Is there any difference between dead orbit or the others?

Personally - i never bothered with the factions, as I don't play crucible. I concentrated on leveling Vanguard by doing the daily bounties, Strikes, Weeklies, Nightfall, Public Events and patrol missions.

You can buy armour from your class vanguard leader (central area of the tower, hanging around the desk).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

At this stage your focus should be on levelling the vanguard (or crucible/factions if that's your thing) to rank 2, to open up the legendary armour they sell.

I'd then recommend the following:

Buy guantlets and boots.
    Save up strange coins for an exotic helmet or chest and then buy the other from vanguard using a commendation (which you get from ranking up the vanguard/crucible etc...but don't worry about that right now)

so at the moment I can get 1 character to lv 31.5 and another to lv 31.

Need Raid Helm, Raid Chest, Raid Arms*2, Raid Boots.

Over the last week I have almost enough drops for a hunter to get it to 31 twice. Light 36 Mask of third man from an exotic engram, light 33 arms ×2, chest and legs ×2. Guess I'll be powerlevelling a hunter

• Advertisement

Over the last week I have almost enough drops for a hunter to get it to 31 twice. Light 36 Mask of third man from an exotic engram, light 33 arms ×2, chest and legs ×2. Guess I'll be powerlevelling a hunter

If I get the drops detailed I'll get my two titans to 32 (realistically I only NEED to get one of them to 32). I've not even looked at what my Hunter needs - they are still level 29... think they need EVERYTHING to even think about getting to 31.

If I get the drops detailed I'll get my two titans to 32 (realistically I only NEED to get one of them to 32). I've not even looked at what my Hunter needs - they are still level 29... think they need EVERYTHING to even think about getting to 31.

It's going to take forever to get to 32 though, isn't it? Unless RNGesus really blesses you in the raid and you somehow also get 80 odd radiant shards to upgrade the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

thanks to (not sure are they boardsies) jay_el_62 and Abusestoilets (name always makes me laugh) for essentially shielding/walking me through the weekly Heroic Strike last night. My god thats not easy. I know I'm only level 28 but still its genuienly brutal. I got plenty of assists but frig all kills. :( and I wouldnt want to see how many times I was revived by ye.

The weekly nightfall was the same. Ye must have had the difficulty maxed or something as I was finding it crazy hard. I do suck as well which doesnt help.

Anyway I got a legendary drop of a Prudence II. I've never really got into sniper rifles, well not yet anyway. Are they any use? Worth levelling up? I tend to have the Murmur attached as my special and use it a bit in fairness. Getting better with it and handy in strikes in particular. Not bad for PvP as well.

I did a bit of grinding before that on the patrols without my New Monarchy gear on so making head way there to be able to spend the vangaurd marks on armour eventually.

All in all a good night had. I managed a couple of hours which brought me up to the 80 hours played now!
    I'd say I'm miles away from my Halo 3 time play yet but that was pre kids etc..

Lastly I have 26 strange coins built up as well I just noticed. Will be interesting to see what Xur brings on Friday. The coins build up quick enough when your doing strikes in fairness.

It's going to take forever to get to 32 though, isn't it? Unless RNGesus really blesses you in the raid and you somehow also get 80 odd radiant shards to upgrade the gear.

Apparently the new raid is going to be fairer on the drops, so that may not be a massive issue. the shards look like they are going to be a massive pain in the hole.

Apparently the new raid is going to be fairer on the drops, so that may not be a massive issue. the shards look like they are going to be a massive pain in the hole.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2014/12/16/destiny-player-reaches-level-32

Some lad has already done it. Apparently he ran 3 Warlocks and kept deleting one, creating a new one to power level, transferring the gear and getting a fresh chance at raid drops.

One can only imagine that he has never known the touch of a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

By the time you need all the shards you'll be able to exchange energies for them with Eris. If you have multiple charcters don't use any of your shards until you have full gear on one of them. That way you don't waste any. It'll take 63 to get to 32

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hardlight dropped for me in the first NFall yesterday. Only have three of the original exotics left to get Hawkmoon, Monte Carlo and the mother fuppin gjaellehorn. Got 9 coins in the second and 18 more for two weeklys.

Need to get to lvl 31. Have three characters almost there (really should have concentrated on one) I need helium. Of course I have 397 spin metal 128 relic iron, 50 odd spirit bloom and 5 helium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You were grand MurphyBass, it's not a case of being crap at all. Being lvl 28 in a lvl 30 mission, you were doing 60% less damage to the enemies (open to correction there). Tough ask all around. Plus Arc burn with Hive is a pain in the hole.

Anyone read/seen anything about Bungie's plans for DLC after the House of Wolves?

Is there anything more substantial in the pipeline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2014/12/16/destiny-player-reaches-level-32

Some lad has already done it. Apparently he ran 3 Warlocks and kept deleting one, creating a new one to power level, transferring the gear and getting a fresh chance at raid drops.

One can only imagine that he has never known the touch of a woman.

Lol thats genius! Worrying, admittedly, but very clever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement