Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Cormacs Guide to doing Crotas End with No Cheesing

We've been working on this over about 5 runs now with lot's of group discussion and trial and error.
    We've gotten the whole Raid down to 40 mins and this week will be going for <30 mins :p
    We being me, Sniper, Rossi, Wes, Toaster and guest appearances from Conovar, Abuses, Noob and Benzino (I think)

The Abyss

Recommended Weapons:
    1. Fatebringer or any other HC with Firefly. ARs with decent damage. Bad Juju (health), Mida Multi-Tool (agility)
    2. Murmur. Wide spread Shotguns.
    3. LMGs especially Corrective Measure (or another with “Expect more ammo”) and Super Good Advice

Recommended Armour:
    • Hunter: Don't Touch Me
    • Titan: Helm of Saint 14
    • Warlock: Light Beyond Nemisis

Take your time.
    Wait 20 feet before you trigger each lamp until all 6 of you are together.
    Have the 1st 2 players who make it near the lamp fire backwards to cover the others as the move and fire forward.
    Get used to staying together and NOT setting off lamps in the 1st half and the lamps explode quicker as you move along so practice makes perfect.
    As soon as a guardian goes down players should be clambering over each other to revive them.
    Don’t pretend like it’s nothing to do with you and start to proceed to the next lamp - Don’t be that guy.
    This entire section is all about patience and calm.
    Try not to speak about shooting thralls or getting killed by thralls unnecessarily - It’s needless chatter polluting the airways.
    At the final bridge area save your supers for as long as possible as the first 30 seconds are pretty straight forward.
    Have 1 player wait by the bridge area shooting back towards the activation platform (they need to be ready to run - ideally Sunsingers or Bladedancers)
    Kill the Orges ASAP, usually handy if you have some G-Horns or Icebreakers.
    Aside from Ogres you need to prioritise Cursed Thralls and Knights as those can one-shot you obviously.

The Bridge

Recommended Weapons:
    • Any primary is ok.
    • Snipers/Fusion Rifles. Ice Breakers are a must if you have them Plan C and Pocket Infintity are good for killing Knight Majors and Sword Bearers.
    • Solar Heavy weapons.

Assign 3 Home and 3 Away Players.
    When using the Sword I prefer R1, R1, R2 but many people swear by R2 only. Whatever works for you as long as you're timing it right so the Gatekeeper is NOT hitting you. If he's hitting you, change approach (or you could be lagging, if you're lagging go over 1st as you're the biggest liability)

Away Team.
    All 3 wait at the bottom of the main stairs (by the tomb) and shoot the sword bearer.
    Don’t kill the 1st sword bearer too quickly as the bridge will not be ready in time. Usually it takes about 30 seconds.
    The Away team should consist of 1) your weakest players 2) Sunsingers 3) Hunters. In that order.
    Weakest players are most susceptible to not killing the Gatekeeper so at least if they mess up the 1st run with a sword you can quickly wipe and restart without losing too much time and having to constantly play catch up trying to kill 2 Gatekeepers (easy for some, very hard for others).
    If you have a Sunsinger, kill you gatekeeper and then let the mobs kill you just outside the bridge platform.
    This way the existing mobs and sometimes the new gatekeeper will shoot your dead body.
    It will also mean the 2nd and 3rd Gatekeepers will stand near the bridge platform.
    When the 2nd (or 3rd player) gets up with the sword, if they fail to kill their Gatekeeper, you can quickly self res, grab the sword and finish him off.

Home Team:
    Titans where possible, Sunsingers if not.
    1 player takes the bridge platform, 2 others take a totem each.
    Hold off the mobs and kill EVERYTHING with guns.
    If you have Helm of Saint 14 this can be a great help to blind enemies if you’re getting overrun.

As soon as you have 3 people over,

Home Team:
    Get off their areas and move to where the Away team were (bottom of the stairs).
    Best thing is to jump up on the pillars and kill Acolytes 1st as they are the main ranged enemies you have to face.
    Away Team:
    Take a totem or bridge platform each and call out where the Gatekeeper is for the players coming over.

Once player 4 is over, have them stay on the bridge platform and snipe back at the swordbearer.
    Once player 5 is over, have them act as a support moving back and forth between totems helping to clear mobs so totems don’t get over run.
    Once the 6th player is over, all move to one side and kill the Wizard/Ogre nearest you (usually to the left).
    Then snipe the wizard/Orge farthest away.
    Staying in a group will allow you to kill Knights quickly to avoid being sword-killed and let you revive each other quickly.

The Thrallway

Recommended Weapons:
    • AOE Grenades are a must
    • Any primary is ok.
    • Fusion Rifles.
    • Rocket Launchers, as soon as the 1st Shrieker is down shoot 1 rocket ahead. Same with the 2nd Shrieker.

ALL players should change their subclass abilities to be as much Armour and Agility as they can get.
    Assign 2 Runners, in case 1 dies. Ideally they should be Bladedancer hunters with Don’t Touch Me.
    If you don’t have Hunters, use Sunsingers for self-res.
    These 2 just need to run and jump as fast as they can.
    As soon as you start have the 2 runners throw their grenades.
    The other 4 need to go Mobs -> Shrieker -> Mobs -> Shrieker - MOBS!!!
    As soon as the 1st Shrieker is down have all 4 other players throw their grenades as far forward as possible down the hallway.
    If you’re not gonna make it, don’t cross the final threshold. Wipe and retry, if you enter the room with the big bit down, you’ve gone to far and won’t get to retry

*** I'll add the final 2 sections later in an Edit ***

PLEASE DONT QUOTE THIS WALL OF TEXT

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Points 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

Are either incorrect, non-points, portray a lack of understanding of either the game or community tools out there or are just silly complaints like the below:
    The spaceship from the Vault of Glass raid and the spaceship from the Crota's End raid are the same except for a few bones that were added to the Crota ship.

Granted 18 and 29 were only announced today to be fixed on Tuesday
    The other 11 points are fair enough.

The Kokatu "4 months in" article was a Far better piece:
    http://kotaku.com/destiny-review-update-four-months-later-1678011068

This looks like something cobbled together by a journalist intern given access to Google, Reddit and Bungie.net and told to "write something about Destiny like all the other news websites, and make it a list, mother truckers love lists"

BIGGEST FLAWS? I think not. Minor annoyances more like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Blazer wrote: »
    Sweet last word...I'm waiting ages to get it..
    Need 14 more coins. I know the weekly will give me upto 9.
    Any other strike/raid that will guarantee coins?

I still have it all to do, weekly, daily & NF so if ya still need later, I'll send on an invite. We could possible also try gimli's suggestion of the dlc strikes if your interested. I need another 10 coins but considering I get 9 from the weekly 1 more shouldn't be too much trouble but I don't mind doing a bit of stockpiling either, that Helm of Saint-14 has got to be available soon.

Gonna pick up TLW but think I'll pass on the Titan helm for now as my Apotheosis Veil is in for an upgrade for when I actually get the time to reach 20.

• Cormac... wrote: »
    Points 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
    Are either incorrect, non-points, portray a lack of understanding of either the game or community tools out there or are just silly complaints like the below:

Let's start with Point 6; no matchmaking for Raids is nonsense simple as.
    your point is invalid

Well given some of the Only PvE modes that have matchmaking are rendered frustrating as all hell by players going AFK or quitting certain strikes I would hate to be thrown into Matchmaking on a Raid.

There's nothing wrong with DestinyLFG, I've recruited players when we were short from that and it worked out fine. I've even created entire groups of 6 using that with no issue. I've also joined groups looking for a 6th.

You can let people know your:
    • Level
    • Character Class/Subclass
    • Main Weapons and Relevant Damage
    • What Checkpoint you're looking for
    • If you want to Cheese or do it Legit
    • If you have other players with you.
    • If you have experience with the Raid
    • If you have a microphone
    • What your preferred language is

It's pretty much ideal.
    I for one would not want to be jumping in with 5 level 30 Hunters to do CE if none of them have experience and they are using whatever Exotic they have.

Raids are all about communication and what better way to portray that then by having to communicate to establish a group that suits you best.
    I mean these are just a handful of the latest posts there:
    lvl 31 warlock (2. char) - max out weapons - looking for to join a group fresh run
    looking for someone with atheon cp very experienced maxed weapons lfg to run on 3 characters fast and smooth
    31 titan lfg weekly nightfall all 331 weapons inc gjallar and ice breaker got mic

I just wish that Bungie advertised the site in game or something as not everyone will check their twitter or Bungie.net to know about it.

Having expericenced playing with friends, clanmates, players from LFG and randomers from Matchmaking I can safely say matchmade players are a nightmare.

I gave up on even trying to do the Tolands Legacy Bounty in ROC playlists due to the amour of AFK players (about 30% of all players) and the amount of players hiding so as not to get killed.

Also:
    your point is invalid
    No it's not, it's my opinion, this is a forum, I'm entitled to post what I like (within reason).
    I thought Kokatu did a better job of addressing the flaws in the game and how they pertain to the bigger picture.
    There's several glaring errors in many of those 29 points that show the writer does not deeply understand the game.
    11 of the points were ones I agreed with though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

your point is invalid

For raids I can kinda see there reasoning behind no match making.

Raids SHOULD take a good bit of team work and a good chunk of time. Their thought that 6 randomers of possibly different levels and languages might lead to a poor experience for all has merit imo. Destiny LFG allows you to search for people via class type, level, language, experience, weapon loadout etc.

I can understand the no matchmaking thought process, but I do feel they need to offer some better support for Destiny LFG; make it easier to group up.

I don't see why Weeklies, Dailies and Nightfalls don't have matchmaking though - but I would say the match making should be optional, rather than default like it is for Strikes.

I don't see why Weeklies, Dailies and Nightfalls don't have matchmaking though - but I would say the match making should be optional, rather than default like it is for Strikes.

Yeah, they should give you the option for Nightfalls and Weeklies alright. I use LFG for those but the site gets a lot less traction in those areas, particularly the Weeklies.

Dailies don't need them though let's be honest. They are usually pretty straightforward most of the times (except maybe a few "end of planet" missions) and a gurantee of 3 players in a Daily would be too easy.

Any time I've done a daily with 3 people I've either been eating or smoking and done it with a minimum of concentrated effort

• I understand what you have created here but some people don't have the time to dedicate to the above. I have spent 2 weeks on and off when I have some free time playing this games and most of my friends are occasionally playing it or have moved on.

I have yet to even attempt to play a raid. It would be a great feature regardless to include matchmaking for someone in a situation such as myself; if you have the above community in place I don't see any reason for you to use matchmaking but for everyone else it should be included. If they can do it for other modes then there's absolutely no reason not to do it for raids and provide a simple choice.

I have yet to even attempt to play a raid. It would be a great feature regardless to include matchmaking for someone in a situation such as myself; if you have the above community in place I don't see any reason for you to use matchmaking but for everyone else it should be included. If they can do it for other modes then there's absolutely no reason not to do it for raids and provide a simple choice.

Ah well that's understandable, I think once you've given it a shot start to finish a couple of times you'll maybe see why they don't have Matchmaking.

In the meantime the guys here on X-Box One will probably be happy to go through VoG Normal Mode at least once to give you an idea of it.
    The weekends almost upon us so no better time.

Give LFG a shot though if you're looking to try one, you've nothing to lose.
    Plus you can usually tell pretty quickly if people are nice or helpful.... I have joined some weirdos but left within 5 mins :D
    There was an unusual bunch of guys from a far flung part of Europe that I joined once that would have been pretty fitting in a Family Guy cut-away gag :pac:

Many's a time I've done it with new raiders even as early as last week.
    I've been harassing poor murph for months now to let me bring him through VoG start to finish..... pffft families eh? AMIRITE!!!!???!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Trust me you dont want match making for raids nor even for the NF

My main reason is that you wont be able to pre-select the players you are being paired with, therefore, you could be stuck with players that have no clue of what they are doing or dont even have the proper weapons etc.

For instance, lets say you try to start a raid on normal, you are a level 27, matchmaking starts and you get paired up with 3 level 24 and 2 level 23s.

They all have rare/green weapons and never done the raid.

I mean, how many times have you got stuck on a lv, eg 26 strike with 3 level 24s? If a strike is hard to finish with players 2 levels below the recommended level imagine what a raid would be like.

Also, clicking on a button and assigning you a team requires little commitment from the players, meaning, that a lot of players will just join for the crack and then leave a few minutes later when they realize they have no clue of whats going on. Leaving your team with 1 person less, which in many cases will mean a full wipe and try again (either wait for someone to join or go back to orbit and try again to start from the beginning).

Raids are a def no go in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    I gave up on even trying to do the Tolands Legacy Bounty in ROC playlists due to the amour of AFK players (about 30% of all players) and the amount of players hiding so as not to get killed.

To be fair, I spent a lot of time doing strikes with randoms and honestly most of the time it works okay, sure there will always be the few who don't participate but really they are by far in the minority.

Deffo should implement this as it would help people who just want to quickly jump in and complete without sending out messages or people who are playing at odd times.

At this stage this could work, even if you just get to run sections, at least you could get some drops. This could then lead to more players understanding the raid which would make it much more accessible to casuals.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've played raids plenty now and think the option should there for matchmaking. It would literally not effect people who don't want to use it in the slightest so I dont really see why people are so against it.

• dudeeile wrote: »
    At this stage this could work, even if you just get to run sections, at least you could get some drops. This could then lead to more players understanding the raid which would make it much more accessible to casuals.

This

I'm not overly concerned of even completing the thing it's just so players can give it a go and get some items if lucky and people will learn over time.
    I have had no issue completing strikes with randomers on different levels. The challenge varies but it's still good fun.
    People learn and figure things out; again if you want to take it more seriously then by all means get into the community and get into voice chat with 5 others but again there should be no reason why the dev can't implement it when it's already there for strikes.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've played raids plenty now and think the option should there for matchmaking. It would literally not effect people who don't want to use it in the slightest so I dont really see why people are so against it.

They could implement it but i still think it wouldnt work. Just the fact that people will leave in the middle of the game is enough for me. Also, what about checkpoints? Basically you will need to start the raid from the beginning everytime you disconnect or get kicked out. Or, if you have to go. They could implement matchmaking from a certain cp that might work.

My biggest concern would be people leaving due to either having better things to do or getting frustrated. And you know what happens when someone leaves during the raid (or it gets kicked) in most cases you have to wipe and start all over again.

I mean, even if the option is there I am pretty sure I would never use it, I rather find people on LFG or bungie than trying matchmaking.
    This

I'm not overly concerned of even completing the thing it's just so players can give it a go and get some items if lucky and people will learn over time.
    I have had no issue completing strikes with randomers on different levels. The challenge varies but it's still good fun.
    People learn and figure things out; again if you want to take it more seriously then by all means get into the community and get into voice chat with 5 others but again there should be no reason why the dev can't implement it when it's already there for strikes.

It is not the same a player leaving a lv26 strike than leaving a NF as you can easily solo a lv26 strike but no so much or so easily a Nightfall and no chance of someone soloing VoG.

Seriously, it takes 2 mintues to log into destinylfg or bungie and find a team

• Bohrio wrote: »
    They could implement it but i still think it wouldnt work. Just the fact that people will leave in the middle of the game is enough for me. Also, what about checkpoints? Basically you will need to start the raid from the beginning everytime you disconnect or get kicked out. Or, if you have to go. They could implement matchmaking from a certain cp that might work.

My biggest concern would be people leaving due to either having better things to do or getting frustrated. And you know what happens when someone leaves during the raid (or it gets kicked) in most cases you have to wipe and start all over again.

I mean, even if the option is there I am pretty sure I would never use it, I rather find people on LFG or bungie than trying matchmaking.

Also, it is not the same a player leaving a lv26 strike than leaving a NF as you can easily solo a lv26 strike but no so much or so easily a Nightfall

I don't think your understanding the point. It doesn't effect you in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not really against it - I can simply see why Bungie would not want to do it.

For a raid, there is a far higher chance that Match Making would lead to a crap experience for those involved. Bungie are, imo, protecting the enjoyment factor of the raid, as they would see it.

First raids I was a part of took hours to get through - but it was grand cause I knew (kinda) the group involved and it was a good laugh learning as we went and discussing it, and the tactics after for the next attempt. Spending a few hours with some randomers who may not talk, or pay attention, learning little and getting nowhere - without the discussions after to improve, would be a far less enjoyable experience. Bungie are, against that experience for the raids.

As said, I do think they should offer some quality support for Destiny LFG or similar though - allowing a type of match making within the game, based on your gaurdian, your history and what people are looking to do - rather than fairly randomly throwing 6 together.

A destiny LFG room in the tower where you can state who/what you are looking for and join a group based on that (bascially Destiny LFG directly accessable within the game - so no arsing around with friend requests or party invites) would be what I would argue for.

I don't think your understanding the point. It doesn't effect you in this case.

Sorry but I dont think you understand why matchmaking wouldn't work on a raid, just finish one or even start one and then you will understand

Sorry but I dont think you understand why matchmaking wouldn't work on a raid, just finish one or even start one and then you will understand

You haven't read my reasoning at all, you seem to be overly concerned about completing a raid when you have the ability to do so with clan members but not everyone is in this situation.

You haven't read my reasoning at all, you seem to be overly concerned about completing a raid when you have the ability to do so with clan members but not everyone is in this situation.

Ok, just answer this, what do you know about the raid? what would you do as soon as you spawn?

This is not about clan members, you can easily get a team in 2 minutes by going to the bungie forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I've used destinylfg a couple of times for raids now and in general it has worked very well. Quick responses and experienced players joining. Made a few friends along the way that you'd maybe not meet otherwise.

Most of us have mobile devices at hand so it's easy to use once you get familiar with it. No guarantees you'll get a decent fireteam with either method (matchmaking or lfg) I guess but an excellent resource no doubt.

• Advertisement

Yeah I guess that's true, it's not like adding it would take away from any of the current methods used to get groups.

I guess what I'm saying is if they did add it, I wouldn't recommend using it.
    But it wouldn't hurt anyone as people who still want a proper team will find the ways and means to do so.
    I'm not really against it - I can simply see why Bungie would not want to do it.

For a raid, there is a far higher chance that Match Making would lead to a crap experience for those involved. Bungie are, imo, protecting the enjoyment factor of the raid, as they would see it.

100% This, it's a calculated omission on Bungies part, they want the Raids to be the thing that grows the community so it's not just a "lobby-fest"

Ok, just answer this, what do you know about the raid? what would you do as soon as you spawn?

This is not about clan members, you can easily get a team in 2 minutes by going to the bungie forums.

Again, you will find a lot of people just want to jump in and play. No bungie forum no nothing. I really can't understand how your disputing this as having this feature doesn't cause you any concern but it seems to be doing so anyway.

What do you do? Why is this even a concern?
    Guys stand on each on the three waypoints to open the door while fending off waves of enemies.

A destiny LFG room in the tower where you can state who/what you are looking for and join a group based on that (bascially Destiny LFG directly accessable within the game - so no arsing around with friend requests or party invites) would be what I would argue for.

This would be a great addition, playing with other groups leads to a lot of experience, the few raids I have done have generally completed sections in different ways, (I'm not saying I understand any these methods), and it does help out to tackle them from different angles. If you're lucky enough to get with experienced groups it's great and being able to help out others going forward is what will make it more enjoyable in the long run.

I'm yet to complete a full raid start to finish and would really like the option to be able to jump in when time permits. The clan is great and really helps out but I'd don't like trying to jump in to every raid request posted when there are so many vying for spots.

100% This, it's a calculated omission on Bungies part, they want the Raids to be the thing that grows the community so it's not just a "lobby-fest"

This could be twisted two ways IMO; more people doing random VOG and getting loot and Bungie probably doesn't want that to happen either.

Guys stand on each on the three waypoints to open the door while fending off waves of enemies.

Ok TBH it does get a decent bit more complicated than that later on.
    This could be twisted two ways IMO; more people doing random VOG and getting loot and Bungie probably doesn't want that to happen either.

Maybe so, I believe they are trying to create a kind of Elitism about raiding (via gear, drops etc) that pushes players to want to be "part of that next level".
    This would be ok if the Bungie.net clan functionality or tower had more ways of getting into Raid Teams.... but for now it's DestinyLFG

I'd throughly recommend you give it a bash and see what you think

Anyway, enough of this infighting, threads just being derailed with a back and forth now :P

Who wants to see some RNG studies in Destiny? (this guy is gonna do 1,000 strikes and he's recording his findings, he's 200 in so far) :pac:

• dudeeile wrote: »
    This would be a great addition, playing with other groups leads to a lot of experience, the few raids I have done have generally completed sections in different ways, (I'm not saying I understand any these methods), and it does help out to tackle them from different angles. If you're lucky enough to get with experienced groups it's great and being able to help out others going forward is what will make it more enjoyable in the long run.

I'm yet to complete a full raid start to finish and would really like the option to be able to jump in when time permits. The clan is great and really helps out but I'd don't like trying to jump in to every raid request posted when there are so many vying for spots.

That's another thing. Been left disappointed by finding there's already 6 in a fire team and your left wandering on your own.

Again, you will find a lot of people just want to jump in and play. No bungie forum no nothing. I really can't understand how your disputing this as having this feature doesn't cause you any concern but it seems to be doing so anyway.

What do you do? Why is this even a concern?

Its not my concern there si a reason for this.

You said that you want to do the raid because you want to get weapons/drops out of it. Well, you dont get any drops until you reached the oracles which will be the 3rd phase of the rade (there are 6 phases not including the gorgons) so that's half way through. This means, that you will need to do the plates and the confluxes before you can start getting drops.

Also, by killing the oracles and the templar if you are lucky you can get either a sniper rifle or a shotgun (on normal) which really isnt great and certainly doesnt help you in your quest. Good weapons start after the gatekeeper which will involve you getting all the way to the last phase.

But like I said, I dont mind if they put it I just know i wouldn't use it and people who want to play it will likely go to LFG or bungie to find a team.

You will understand when you play one, the level of coordination and communication is beyond any strike you have ever played in destiny.

Ok TBH it does get a decent bit more complicated than that later on.

Anyway, enough of this infighting, threads just being derailed with a back and forth now :P

Who wants to see some RNG studies in Destiny? (this guy is gonna do 1,000 strikes and he's recording his findings, he's 200 in so far) :pac:

Not sure how this is infighting:confused:
    It's a discussion about Destiny in the thread tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The raids are not really for people who have only played the game on and off, or if you want to call them that; casuals. Raids are the pinnacle of the game and are there for people who want to put in the time and effort to get to the highest level. I'm not overly concerned that Jimmy who has put 25/30 hours into the game can't play a raid.

As for Xur, he has nothing there for me this week. Looks like I'll have to upgrade my 300 IceBreaker as he hasn't sold the upgrade since week one and I want that damage level.

• Advertisement

• The raids are not really for people who have only played the game on and off, or if you want to call them that; casuals. Raids are the pinnacle of the game and are there for people who want to put in the time and effort to get to the highest level. I'm not overly concerned that Jimmy who has put 25/30 hours into the game can't play a raid.

As for Xur, he has nothing there for me this week. Looks like I'll have to upgrade my 300 IceBreaker as he hasn't sold the upgrade since week one and I want that damage level.

So who determines that this is a rule of thumb for a product they have purchased?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement