Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got a group together last night and we killed Atheon in one teleport on hard. First time we've managed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think labelling something the best is very subjective particularly in relation to videogames, which can be........uhm very emotive.
    I've played Dark Souls and it wasn't for me but understand the appeal. Never played Titanfall but it looks very good and quite fun. I stayed away from COD this year and can't comment.
    Destiny is a strange one. There's a number of people I play with and it's bordering on an obsession. We haven't sunk so many hours into a game in a long time and some of them are pretty hardcore.
    Still really enjoy it although recently I've found myself lethargic to it particularly once all the NF's/Raids etc are done. Still get giddy for the Tuesday reset and Xurday
    Destiny is very very good at what it does. I'm just not entirely sure what this is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall are much better than Destiny imo (the other two I haven't played) but I still put more hours into Destiny. I think it's more down to the community than the game plus you never feel like you've completed it so you keep going back. It's certainly one of the most addictive games I've played but wouldn't really have it as one of the best.

I could never get in to DS2, and never considered Titanfall as a purchase. We've all experienced the COD community at one point in time, and Hearthstone is what it is. The gun play in Destiny, as has been said many a time here, is just spot on. The community is a massive factor in why we keep coming back to it. We have a community here which pretty sound and decent, (and a few characters thrown in for good measure).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Work in an open plan office. Looks I get when explaining to my brother how much I want that particular exotic rocket launcher are quite amusing. I've come to accept some people just don't get it.

You should try being an SF4 player. Was in the pub recently and someone said about me "He's one of the best Street Fighters in the country". I could see some of the more uninitiated people looking at me like I might glass them at any moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I could never get in to DS2, and never considered Titanfall as a purchase. We've all experienced the COD community at one point in time, and Hearthstone is what it is. The gun play in Destiny, as has been said many a time here, is just spot on. The community is a massive factor in why we keep coming back to it. We have a community here which pretty sound and decent, (and a few characters thrown in for good measure).

The gunplay is great yeah, but the PvP has been the same few playlists since launch and is a fair bit more unbalanced compared to Titanfall which is why I'd give it the edge. Just my opinion of course :) I'd personally prefer Dark Souls 2 over most games I've ever played apart from Dark Souls 1 so I'm probably a bit biased there, but I'll give Destiny props for putting a few direct Dark Souls references into the game. :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Faction is only worth it if you play a lot of crucible.

I don't play crucible apart from one run at Iron Banner (the second iteration of it) - so I have never bothered with a faction. I could level them up easily but i'll never have any crucible marks.

Right.

While Factions are a lot faster to rank up you need to be careful because the Faction vendors take Crucible marks.

Unless you play enough Crucible to collect the high number of marks required you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You should try being an SF4 player. Was in the pub recently and someone said about me "He's one of the best Street Fighters in the country". I could see some of the more uninitiated people looking at me like I might glass them at any moment.

Should have just thrown a hadouken at them :pac:

Or maybe to make it slightly more realistic try a tiger uppercut.

God I love street fighter but I am just incredibly useless at it.

Tried to get into SF4 but it was just too complicated for me.

Street Fighter 2 on the arcade all the way. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Its been discussed here before but thought I'd post again for any new players joining us.

Earning XP in the game by any means allows you to reach level 20. This is capped.
    After this, progress to the next level is reached by equipping armor that has light.

To reach level 21 you need 21 points of light.
    To reach level 22 you need 32 (21 + 11)
    To reach level 23 you need 42 (21 + 11 +11) and so on up to level 30.

So after the initial leap to 21 it's 11 points per level to 30, then 12 points per level to 32. (thanks ghostchant)

Level Required Amount of Light
    21 21
    22 32
    23 43
    24 54
    25 65
    26 76
    27 87
    28 98
    29 109
    30 120
    31 132
    32 144

At the moment, each piece of armor (helm, gauntlets, chest, boots) from the Vanguard or Crucible can give you UP TO 33 light points when fully maxed out.
    Exotic armor gives you 36 light points when fully maxed out.
    Crota's End armor and Iron Banner (Gauntlets) are 36 light.

Why is this important, well, if you want to reach level 32 (the current max) with your 4 pieces of armor, you will need to max out one exotic (36) plus three non-exotic pieces (3*36) to reach the 144 light points you need.

Open to correction on any of this so feel free to edit/add...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

@ cdb no that's a pretty good explanation.

The IB armour is not all 36 though just the gloves. The other (think it's the chestpiece) is 33 this time round.
    I expect you'll get to buy level 36 armour once the next DLC is out. That's what they did last time.
    Oh and you can potentially get to level 32 with 4 pieces of Crotas End armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

cdb wrote: »
    Its been discussed here before but thought I'd post again for any new players joining us.

Earning XP in the game by any means allows you to reach level 20. This is capped.
    After this, progress to the next level is reached by equipping armor that has light.
    Each level requires 12 light 'points' - so going from 20 -> 21 takes 12 light, 20 -> 22 takes 24 light and so on.
    To reach level 30 - which is 10 levels above 20, you will need 10 times 12 or 120 light 'points'.
    To reach level 32 - 12 levels above 20, you will need 12 times 12, 144. Simples!

At the moment, each piece of armor (helm, gauntlets, chest, boots) from the Vanguard or Crucible can give you up to 33 light points when fully maxed out.
    Crota's and Iron Banner armor is 36 light.

Why is this important, well, if you want to reach level 32 (the current max) with your 4 pieces of armor, you will need to max out one exotic (36) plus three non-exotic pieces (3*36) to reach the 144 light points you need.

Small correction to the above - the required amount of light for each light level is below (taken (and slightly corrected) from http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Light):

Level Required Amount of Light
    21 21
    22 32
    23 43
    24 54
    25 65
    26 76
    27 87
    28 98
    29 109
    30 120
    31 132
    32 144

So after the initial leap to 21 it's 11 points per level to 30, then 12 points per level to 32.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Each level requires 12 light 'points' - so going from 20 -> 21 takes 12 light, 20 -> 22 takes 24 light and so on.
    To reach level 30 - which is 10 levels above 20, you will need 10 times 12 or 120 light 'points'.
    To reach level 32 - 12 levels above 20, you will need 12 times 12, 144. Simples!

At the moment, each piece of armor (helm, gauntlets, chest, boots) from the Vanguard or Crucible can give you up to 33 light points when fully maxed out.

So I'm at 28 now and I basically need a crap tonne of ascendant materials to get any further with my current gear. I assume I could do with another level or 2 before Crota's. What's the best way to do that? go nuts on public events?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

Cheers for the games yesterday lads , finally got a weapon with firefly on it ! Anyone on now to do the weekly a or raids , need to do most things on my Titan and need the coins for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

So I'm at 28 now and I basically need a crap tonne of ascendant materials to get any further with my current gear. I assume I could do with another level or 2 before Crota's. What's the best way to do that? go nuts on public events?
    Get a group to run the Vault of Glass, you should get a mix of at least 12 ascendant shards/energies for a full run including 3 of the 4 raid chests.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do your public event every day and the daily story on as high a difficulty as you can manage. You'll get a lot of shards and energies by running the vault of glass too so I'd try and get into a raid with the other lads in the clan. Grind some vanguard marks and that to try and buy some light 33 armour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

gimli2112 wrote: »
    @ cdb no that's a pretty good explanation.

The IB armour is not all 36 though just the gloves. The other (think it's the chestpiece) is 33 this time round.
    I expect you'll get to buy level 36 armour once the next DLC is out. That's what they did last time.
    Oh and you can potentially get to level 32 with 4 pieces of Crotas End armour.

God I'd hate to be just starting into Destiny now. Quite the learning curve.

Level 31 right here and happy to stay at that till the next DLC as I wont get the time to do raids.

Just as a side note I'm using the Ruin Wings as my legendary armour and I think they're great. Lots more heavy ammo drops than normal which means I'm using my legendary machine gun and rocket launcher a lot. Handy for PvE stuff.

Hopefully xur sells Gjallarhorn soon. Would be a great one to couple with the Ruin Wings. After seeing a few of ye help me through the daily/weeklys etc I can just say its pure DEVASTATION when ye pull the trigger on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Public Events, Daily Story mission, Weekly Strikes and VOG are the best ways to get Ascendant Materials. It can be a grind though. You can also dismantle unwanted Legendary gear.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IB chest piece is only 33 light. You can get it at IB Rank 3.

The gauntlets are 36 light. You need IB Rank 4 for that.

And the weapons are IB Rank 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Got a group together last night and we killed Atheon in one teleport on hard. First time we've managed that.
    Sweet! Did you DPS him with the relic super or use weapons of light to get the damage boost?

Sweet! Did you DPS him with the relic super or use weapons of light to get the damage boost?

Weapons of light that everyone used. One relic super and 2/3 maxed 331 Gallahorns and a 331 maxed Ice Breaker and Blackhammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

The way I did it when I had to level up my first hunter on PS4 is

Ranked up to 20 by doing missions/bounties as quickly as possible.

My version of destiny came with a couple of vanguard armour (light 15/16) that brought me up to lv23, so I was able to run level 22 strikes, I ran a few of them and obtained light 15/16 armor (I needed helmet and boots) only, all that brought me up to level 25 I think.

That allowed me to do level 24 strikes. In the meanwhile I kept doing bounties and ranking up ton my vanguard to rank 2, as soon as I reached it I bought the vanguard boots, that brought me up to level 26, then I was able to start the urn story thingie, this allowed me also to do level 26 strikes from where I obtained armour light 20/21.

At the same time I did the raid on normal where I got a good few shards, more than enough to level my boots to light 33.

After a few strikes I was level 28 (more light 20/21 armour), then once I completed the urn challenge I got the gauntlets and reached 29.

As I started on a Thursday and as Xur was in on friday (therefore I was able to complete the Urn challenge very quickly).

Got lucky and got a legendary helmet while doing one of the level 26 strikes.

So by the end of friday I had 3 legendary armour pieces and 1 rare light 21.

I was also able to run daily stories, do the level 30 heroic and nightfall, from where Igot a legendary chest piece, and to the VoG on hard (more shards/weapons). And that alone brought me up to level 30.

Out of the VoG had enough shards to bring my legendary armour to light 33, so I was level 31 by late friday/early saturday. I got an exotic shards by buying an engram from Xur and dismantle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone up for a run at the VOG tonight on normal on X1? Maybe 8/8:30pm?

Neither myself (28 Titan) nor TheMerryDespot (30 Hunter) have run it before but we've watched the vids online and know what to do (in theory anyway :p ).

Any other seasoned pros or fellow VOG virgins up for it?

https://imgflip.com/i/f9izc

EDIT: Never mind. Mrs cancels night away. Dreams up in flames.

Anyone for VoG hard on PS4 later around 8.45-9.00. Just jump in if you see me online. Don't forget psn will be in maintenance mode from 5 so invites and messages might not work.

Anyone for VoG hard on PS4 later around 8.45-9.00. Just jump in if you see me online. Don't forget psn will be in maintenance mode from 5 so invites and messages might not work.

Mine has been in maintenance since I bought it then cause I am always missing invites/messages or they come like 1 hour later ;)

Bohrio wrote: »
    Mine has been in maintenance since I bought it then cause I am always missing invites/messages or they come like 1 hour later ;)

Thats just the messaging system being poor on PS4, no problem retrieving them on a PS3 or vita. All psn functions except apps such as Netflix and online gaming will be down for 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,599 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anyone seen/read/have any CE Hard speculation?

1 - Reckon you won't be able to revive team mates in the initial part of the raid, until you activate the bridge platform.
    2 - The platforms that Crota stands on to the right and left might become important. Maybe needing to stand on one during oversoul?
    3 - After killing the swordbearer in the Crota fight, a Gatekeeper will spawn - so you will have to kill him before going after crota (reducing time on Crota).
    Not sure what they will do for the bridge section - I don't see anything that leaps out as a new mechanic possible for that section

Any other thoughts?

I reckon the opening part is going to be rock hard without respawns. I think our initial CE team on Tuesday made it to the bridge without dying the other night - and then got bug killed at the bridge. Am I right Cormac, Sniper etc? I know our second raid run was a lot crappier for that initial part; but think the first run went very well.

1 - Reckon you won't be able to revive team mates in the initial part of the raid, until you activate the bridge platform.
    2 - The platforms that Crota stands on to the right and left might become important. Maybe needing to stand on one during oversoul?
    3 - After killing the swordbearer in the Crota fight, a Gatekeeper will spawn - so you will have to kill him before going after crota (reducing time on Crota).
    Not sure what they will do for the bridge section - I don't see anything that leaps out as a new mechanic possible for that section

Any other thoughts?

I reckon the opening part is going to be rock hard without respawns. I think our initial CE team on Tuesday made it to the bridge without dying the other night - and then got bug killed at the bridge. Am I right Cormac, Sniper etc? I know our second raid run was a lot crappier for that initial part; but think the first run went very well.

I don't recall any mechanics changing in the VoG was there? Just enemy levels went up and there's no revives? What am I missing? I've played hard mode a lot more than normal so maybe I'm forgetting. I don't think there'll be any revives at all in this either.

I think the lamps will still be easy enough to solo with a hunter unless they introduce some new mechanic there.

Any other thoughts?

1. Probably no revives full stop.
    2. Not sure about this one but agree it could be important.
    3. Gatekeepers already spawn there on the balcony above the crystal. I can see a cooldown on carrying the sword to force everyone to know how to do that role.

Also I can see the Weight of Darkness debuff coming into effect at other parts of the raid.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't recall any mechanics changing in the VoG was there? Just enemy levels went up and there's no revives? What am I missing? I've played hard mode a lot more than normal so maybe I'm forgetting. I don't think there'll be any revives at all in this either.

I think the lamps will still be easy enough to solo with a hunter unless they introduce some new mechanic there.

The gorgons and atheon were slightly different on VoG hard.

We had extra gorgons and a restrictive bubble after being teleported. Aside from that and the revives it was pretty much the same.

1. Probably no revives full stop.
    2. Not sure about this one but agree it could be important.
    3. Gatekeepers already spawn there on the balcony above the crystal. I can see a cooldown on carrying the sword to force everyone to know how to do that role.

Also I can see the Weight of Darkness debuff coming into effect at other parts of the raid.

Regarding point two, maybe you need to stand on two platforms when the over soul is up?

There are three in total and Crota will bounce from one to the other leaving two always unattendend.

Antoher theory could be that the oversoul will spawn everytime you kill the swordbearer unless you are not standing on the two plates??

Looking forward to it anyway no matter what

Still have to run it 6 times this week, I might attempt one early today and then the VoG on hard (PS4) so if you see me online hit me and I will join you and do the VoG then?

I am leaving the xbox for the weekend. I am already level 32 on all my 3 characters (warlock, titan and hunter) I just need to level up the armour... I will def do this on the weekend

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Anyone up for a run at the VOG tonight on normal on X1? Maybe 8/8:30pm?

Neither myself (28 Titan) nor TheMerryDespot (30 Hunter) have run it before but we've watched the vids online and know what to do (in theory anyway :p ).

Any other seasoned pros or fellow VOG virgins up for it?

https://imgflip.com/i/f9izc

I would but got in trouble for playing to long last night :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement