Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Just unlocked a new level 28 strike...I'll be leaving that alone for awhile! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm enjoying Destiny quite a bit. I'm spreading my time with it between the story missions and the Crucible. This is the first FPS in a long time where I can hold my own in a competitive multiplayer match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I much prefer it to borderlands. I liked borderlands and no doubt as a single player experience borderlands is better but for the strikes, gear progression and obviously pvp Destiny offers more and will net me many more hours!

People expected too much. I didn't get sucked into the hype which helps I guess but how someone can say it's not worth the entry price is complete nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

COYVB wrote: »
    I'm immune to hype at this stage. My job is literally nothing but game hype every goddamn day. I couldn't give a toss about it.

What I've said is no more insightful than saying "the sky is blue"

In 2 months time the year's major "big names" will all have dropped. The bulk of "casual" destiny players will have traded the game in for cod or assassins creed or whatever, and the online community will be decimated. From there more people will drop off each month due to both decreased numbers and new releases taking the spotlight.

Its not rocket science; it's over-promising, claiming a revolution, not delivering, and releasing at a time of the year aimed at high sales through lack of competition, but poorly placed for longevity.

But don't take my word for it, check back in a few months.

Nothing to do with how much you or I enjoy it in the slightest.

I thought Titanfall was wonderful fun, but it's early death was obvious for similar (though not identical) reasons.

I didn't mean to be so OTT apologies about that. All fair points, i guess i'm just irritated at the coordinated effort by people also to down vote all the scores on sites also as well as scores like 5/6 from reviewers. it is just nonsense for such a solid game imo, you see a serious load of 1's and BS reasons for it too. I guess that is the internet for you though.

Right enough negativity it is time for some Level 22 Strike playlists and some PvP :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What is the level limit? I'm not near it mind, just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

cloud493 wrote: »
    What is the level limit? I'm not near it mind, just curious.

20 is the softcap from your standard levelling through XP but you can level up further through gear. Once you hit 20 you will start finding gear with the "light" stat which increases your level. Currently 30 is the cap from gear but it will go higher with each DLC release afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

What do you find is the best way to get Light Gear and level up past 20?

At the moment, I'm a titan 20 doing lvl 20 Strike playlists but its slow progress. I'm just not sure if I playing this right that perhaps there is a better way to lvl.. any tips?

Also has anyone joined the Fractions in the Tower, are they worth it at this stage?

Thanks, and good morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I thought this post was helpful so I'm going to share here. Its from a guy called Tactica

After Lev 20 Cap - What to expect - SPOILERS - From My Experience

I built this for some buddies in my group who have not reached lev 20 yet. However, I thought it would be beneficial to share to others. I took launch day off work, I played all day/night, I played Wed and Thurs evening after work, family and kids. I hit Lev 20 last night with my warlock. Here's what I've learned. Your mileage may and probably will vary, but hopefully someone out there gets some use out of it.

Summary:
    - Level 1-20 is training... that is not the end, it's really the beginning.
    - The game really just opens up at 20+ for those who want to experience what it has to offer. However, if you don't like experiencing more challenges in PvE, attemping harder Raids, gearing up for bigger challenges, or working towards harder puzzles... then you are missing out.

Some Details:
    At level 15, I unlocked a second sub class B. If I switch sub classes, will I have to earn more experience to unlock those other skills in sub class B?
    - Yes

Can I switch back and forth between subclasses A & B without penalty and keep all progress on each at any time?
    - Yes

Will I continue to earn EXP after I hit the level cap of 20?
    - Yes

Will all my current sub-class skills be unlocked when I hit level 20?
    - No

Will the EXP I earn after lev cap 20 be beneficial to me?
    - Yes. Use it for unlocking your character skills in sub classes, for leveling your gear, for earning Motes of Light

What is a Mote of Light?
    - Item you earn for each progress point instead of a new level after 20.
    - Mote of Light is another type of currency
    - Mote of light is used at the Seer for example in exchange for legendary class items (cosmetic?)

Hit EXP lev cap 20 – unlock “light”
    - You now can buy armor with the “light” stat modifier

How do you go above level 20?
    - You need enough “Light” stat to push you to level 21
    - When you equip enough gear with enough “light” modifiers, you move up in “light” level
    - Just like Discipline or Strength or Intellect… Light is now a 4th stat after level 20 on your gear
    - Example – it may take a total of 20 total “Light” stat (across all gear) to push you to level 21

What armor can have “Light” modifiers?
    - All 4 slots can have it, and you want it

Where do you get armor with “light” modifiers?
    - You must first reach character level 20, when go to orbit, you receive a notice, then…
    o Vanguard armory (Quartermaster or Vanguard Rep)
    o Crucible armory
    o Seer
    o Faction armories (several in Tower)
    o Cryptarch (hypothetically - unconfirmed)
    o Earn it through Missions
    o Earn it through Crucible
    o Random Drops fighing in the wild
    o Patrol mission rewards
    o Events

How come I can’t just use Glimmer to purchase “Light” armor?
    - Armor with “Light” bonuses on it is harder to acquire
    - You now need some combination of 4 things:
    o Reputation (Crucible, Vanguard or *Faction)
    o Marks (Crucible, Vanguard or *Faction)
    o Glimmer
    o Motes of Light

What is the difference between Reputation and Marks for Vanguard or Crucible?
    - Reptuation is how much favor you have with them.
    - You need to earn enough favor or Rep (think street cred) before you get to see the goods
    - The more reputation you have, the better stuff you get access to

What are Marks?
    - Where Glimmer is currency accepted everywhere… MARKS are specifc to group
    - Marks are just currency for that specifc group
    - Each Faction, Vanguard and Crucible all have their own set of MARKs
    - Each set of Marks are earned separately
    o Vanguard Marks
    o Crucible Marks
    o Osiris Marks
    o Future War Cult (FWC) Marks
    o Dead Orbit Marks
    o Etc…

How do I earn Vanguard Marks?
    - Strike Play Lists – circle next to the crucible circle on the Director (opens at level 18 or so)
    - Look for specific REWARD Vanguard Marks for special strikes / events on left column on director
    - Look for special Bounties and/or Daily / Weekly / Nightly Event Strike type events with Vanguard Mark rewards

How do I earn Vanguard Reputation?
    - Play ANY Strike
    - Perform Patrol Missions
    - Turn in Vanguard Bounties
    - Resource cash in (need 50 of a given item) at Vanguard Quarter Master

How do I earn Crucible Marks?
    - Play competitive Multiplayer i.e. Crucible
    - Look for special Bounties and/or Daily / Weekly / Nightly Event rewards (left column on director)

How do I earn Crucible Reputation?
    - Play the Crucible
    - Turn in Crucible Bounties
    - Resource cash in (need 50 of a given item) at Crucible Armory Bot

How do I earn a specific FACTION reputation & Marks?
    - After reach level 20, buy an class item from the faction in the tower
    - Equip it
    - Now – go read the Vanguard and Crucible tasks – do the same stuff
    - You will earn Faction Reputation & Marks instead of Vanguard/Crucible Rep & Marks

What is the highest Light level you’ve seen so far?
    - Light Level 29

What is the highest PvE mob you’ve seen and where was it?
    - Level 26 Minotaur Vex thing
    - Venus in the wild

Next up... get ready for 6-man raids, events, Nightfall heroic challenges, and content yet to come! You will need better gear...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Thanks for that Static. A lot of information, very helpful. Only got it yesterday morning and haven't played much so a bit lost with it all, but enjoying it so far. Hope to get some more time in today.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Where and who are the factions? I didn't realise there was any apart from crucible/vanguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where and who are the factions? I didn't realise there was any apart from crucible/vanguard.

There are a few other factions around. Only one I can think of at the moment is the Future War Cult, who are in the bar above the shipwright. Another faction is over by the Speaker.

If anyone fancies the heroic weekly strike on ps4 with myself and Andy hit me up on psn; TEQUILASHOT360, pref 21+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Gandalph wrote: »
    If anyone fancies the heroic weekly strike on ps4 with myself and Andy hit me up on psn; TEQUILASHOT360, pref 21+

Hoping to meet someone Mark?

Just had an epic 2 hour strike mission on mars with just 2 of us level 20 + 21 on a level 22 strike, the 3rd guy randomly stops playing and sits there idle for 30 minutes before he leaves. They really need to boot players for being idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yay got 2 legendary engrams there in 1 strike on the moon , went to decrypt those right away and what do I get green items and only green items ffs :mad:

I did get a legendary fusion rifle last night though, they look to take some effort to level up. Off to PvP with that I go.

Yeh the engrams can be so hit and miss! Got a purple from a blue one but keep getting greens/blues from purple engrams, I'm afraid to gamble with the exotic engram the strange coin vendor has because I don't think it would pay off!

irishmover wrote: »
    Hoping to meet someone Mark?

Should probably specify that was level 21+ :L

And stop creeping in this thead and get the damn game! ;D

Yeh the engrams can be so hit and miss! Got a purple from a blue one but keep getting greens/blues from purple engrams, I'm afraid to gamble with the exotic engram the strange coin vendor has because I don't think it would pay off!

i I didn't spot that maybe I can turn my 6 coins into magic beans ...... so tempted now even though I wanted that splinter cell like helmet.

Edit: He's not there anymore , lucky because I was going to trade with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Just completed the level 26 weekly heroic strike and it was awesome, so tense throughout. The arc burn modifier in a strike full of fallen is nasty, really makes strategic play come into it more, that plus there are no respawn timers meaning if you fall someone has to revive you.

If anyone needs a spot filled in order to complete it this week just shout, would be up for another.

Was that the nightfall strike? I thought the heroic weekly was 22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I'm enjoying Destiny quite a bit. I'm spreading my time with it between the story missions and the Crucible. This is the first FPS in a long time where I can hold my own in a competitive multiplayer match.

I am the opposite. I am usually top or top 3 in competitive multiplayer games I have played. I always end up mid table in this game. I think I went into the crucible too early as people seem to have better guns and abilities. Will give it a break for a while and do more missions and come back to it. It could also be my connection. My ping is crap with Eircom at the moment. (or I could just be sh1te ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Interesting that the Crucible sounds like it's much more gear based than I would have expected, sounds like it's much more MMO than Halo balancing.

Interesting that the Crucible sounds like it's much more gear based than I would have expected, sounds like it's much more MMO than Halo balancing.

After all my wtf is going on why are low levels killing me and I'm finishing games with 3 kills and 20 deaths etc etc I just finished my 1st match with shiny new gear 16-6 so yeah gear matters a lot. My legendary fusion rifle has a lot of blood on it :pac:

It's really not, people seem to think that when they go in it will all be balanced and they stand an even chance even though they don't understand the game or the maps. They get one shot by a special ability and all of a sudden the other person has better gear than them. The opposite player might have better knowledge of what weapons to use (fusion rifle I'm looking at you!) and easily win the one vs ones, while technically they are using the better gear, it is still balanced. I've played a lot of pvp and generally top kills/score in most games but I have been completely mopped up by people as low as level 6-7 and I am level 25. The pvp is completely balanced in my opinion, I don't have a complaint about a single class, everyones supers are OP (except hunters gunslinger subclass with golden guns, sucks).

calex71 wrote: »
    i I didn't spot that maybe I can turn my 6 coins into magic beans ...... so tempted now even though I wanted that splinter cell like helmet.

Edit: He's not there anymore , lucky because I was going to trade with him :D

He takes motes of light for the engram, only like 16 or something too, no need to waste your coins. Which seems fine because afaik all else they buy are capes with the Speaker just for aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Was that the nightfall strike? I thought the heroic weekly was 22

Just like you can up the level of missions you can do the same with weekly strikes, we upped it to 26 which gives you 6 strange coins.

Also, legendary engrams are hilarious. I've had 4 drop since turning 20, 3 turned into blue items and the 4th was some mats, whereas I got a legendary item from a blue engram...just a pity it was a hunter item :S

He takes motes of light for the engram, only like 16 or something too, no need to waste your coins. Which seems fine because afaik all else they buy are capes with the Speaker just for aesthetics.

Yeah no way I was giving them up for a stupid cloak, didn't realise the other fella took them

In the crucible always go for headshots if you use Auto rifles, you will get hammered by fusions/pulse/hand cannons otherwise. Just completed level 24 strike on earth, i love the increasing difficulty and having to use the different weapons to take down shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

What level do you have to hit before the Praetorians stop laughing when they see you? It is a bit depressing to see - immune - flash up on the screen - followed by one hit death lol

SD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How do you know if you've completed a level in story ? Does it change colour or anything ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement