Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Did a bit of patrolling on Venus last night for one of the "Complete 6 patrol mission" bounties.

6 missions in a row of killing shanks and picking up fusor drives. Ridiculous lack of variation.

Started off loving this game, but the longer I go on the less I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah they had ???'s for me too. I went down there last night, saw this thing lurking around, caught it straight in the face with a grenade and it just flashed 'IMMUNE'... Needless to say I turn and ran like a rat out a drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

maximoose wrote: »
    Did a bit of patrolling on Venus last night for one of the "Complete 6 patrol mission" bounties.

6 missions in a row of killing shanks and picking up fusor drives. Ridiculous lack of variation.

The bounties are definitely grind/repetitive elements. What I do is just turn off the volume and play some music or watch some tv/film when I'm doing them, they're so basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Having done About 30+ Patrol missions on all 4 planets, i'd say this was an outlier, I've never gotten even 2 of the same mission back to back, and even if they were kill XXX enemies, they were at least worded and presented differently

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah they had ???'s for me too. I went down there last night, saw this thing lurking around, caught it straight in the face with a grenade and it just flashed 'IMMUNE'... Needless to say I turn and ran like a rat out a drain.

That's what I got but I tried using my super ability and he flashed up immune.

Hope to play an hour or so tonight. Dam these exams taking up Destiny time with study :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    Having done About 30+ Patrol missions on all 4 planets, i'd say this was an outlier, I've never gotten even 2 of the same mission back to back, and even if they were kill XXX enemies, they were at least worded and presented differently

Worded and presented differently doesn't make them different. They're terrible.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Worded and presented differently doesn't make them different. They're terrible.

I agree. But I thought the original point was that he got the Exact same patrol mission (enemy type, collectable, voice-message) 6 times consecutively, which I doubted was the case :p

You people wanted open-world area.... well enjoy "Patrol" :pac:

Edit, although i will say there's a much higher likely hood of finding a Random Event in Patrol than in say a Strike IMHO.
    I came across about 4 in total, 3 were in Patrol while collecting Guinness Beer Mats for The Rights Path of Ascendancy for Stout Drinkers Faction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't think the voice message was the same each time, but the basic mission was - kill shanks (some took 4 kills, some took 8) and pick up something they drop.

Didn't take too long though thankfully, after the third time I copped there was an area where 3 shanks spawned - could kill them, walk about 20 metres down the road, come back and they would have spawned again.

Pretty bad.

I don't think the voice message was the same each time, but the basic mission was - kill shanks (some took 4 kills, some took 8) and pick up something they drop.

Didn't take too long though thankfully, after the third time I copped there was an area where 3 shanks spawned - could kill them, walk about 20 metres down the road, come back and they would have spawned again.

Pretty bad.

I think we can all agree Patrol is $hit alright, sometimes I see people in the Clan "on Patrol" and I'm like "I hope you're just collecting the chests or doing the daily bounty and getting the **** back into the proper game" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I doubt they are kill-able TBH, I haven't seen ??? in the main game, only in the Beta

They come up ?? Until your level is high enough that you can damage them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree. But I thought the original point was that he got the Exact same patrol mission (enemy type, collectable, voice-message) 6 times consecutively, which I doubted was the case :p

You people wanted open-world.... well enjoy "Patrol" :pac:

Edit, although i will say there's a much higher likely hood of finding a Random Event in Patrol than in say a Strike IMHO.
    I came across about 4 in total, 3 were in Patrol while collecting Guinness Beer Mats for The Rights Path of Ascendancy for Stout Drinkers Faction

The public events are the only incentive to do patrol as far as I can see, they're enjoyable at least and have a bit of variety.

Having an open area with essentially nothing in it isn't the same as open world though, there's literally no incentive to explore which is a huge drawback imo.

Ah ok then, well they might have all been ??? last night in that Heroic Level 22 Strike for all the damage I was doing to them :pac:

Rocking in with about 10% of the Kills and 90% of the Deaths I was :D

Those Ark Shielded captains :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ah ok then, well they might have all been ??? last night in that Heroic Level 22 Strike for all the damage I was doing to them :pac:

Rocking in with about 10% of the Kills and 90% of the Deaths I was :D

Those Ark Shielded captains :mad:

Yeah, when playing high level PvE it helps when you are using a good hand cannon or scout rifle.

Those arc shields were a pain, but those captains went down fairly easily once they lost yheir shields

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Gonna be all night with my Internet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That makes sense. If any you lads are on Xbox One feel free to add me.
    TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've done a lot of the patrols, mostly just for leveling up (earlier on) and collecting bounties (not just patrol bounties, but also various other ones like melee 30 enemies without dying, kill 2 enemies 20 times with one fusion rifle shot etc).

They're a grind, and are boring and repetitive, but at least there's some greater purpose to them when done right. A quick and easy way to complete bounties and get reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, stumbled across some yellow-bar guy with minions in the Cosmodrome (under the radio tower place) called "Something, Celebrator of Oryx" or something like that. At the time, I was about level 5, he had ?? as his level, and was immune to damage. Went back yesterday as a level 21, his level had changed to 18 and I was able to do damage. Was still a tough b*stard to beat though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Having an open area with essentially nothing in it isn't the same as open world though, there's literally no incentive to explore which is a huge drawback imo.

Golden chests + Patrol Missions + Rare Public Events do not a good Open World/Area make.

They are poor alright, the real weakness of the game.
    Once you hit Level 10 the game goes:
    • Crucible
    • Tower
    • Mission
    • Tower
    • Strike
    • Tower

Rinse and repeat

Then you hit Level 20 and it's
    • Crucible
    • Crucible
    • Tower
    • Strike
    • Strike
    • Tower

Rinse and repeat again

Yeah, when playing high level PvE it helps when you are using a good hand cannon or scout rifle.

Those arc shields were a pain, but those captains went down fairly easily once they lost yheir shields

That's why I spent so much time on the trough, only arc weapons I had where Shotgun + Fusion Rifle, was hoping to take the shields down a slink back into the shadows but then

BAM

Vandal One Shot Kill :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The patrol events are crazy boring, even red dead redemption had a handful of little incidences where you'd see someone being attacked and have to intervene. This is very much "kill x number of y" until done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

.ak wrote: »
    The bounties are definitely grind/repetitive elements. What I do is just turn off the volume and play some music or watch some tv/film when I'm doing them, they're so basic.

Ditto, I try stack 3 or 4 together (9k point, 100 headshot, 6 missions and 30 melee's) they just put on some tunage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mentioned on Kotaku, a website that allows you to preview shaders for your character

http://db.destinytracker.com/character

Mentioned on Kotaku, a website that allows you to preview shaders for your character

http://db.destinytracker.com/character

As per usual, doesn't work on Safari :D

TBH as far as Ships, Shaders and Emblems go... If I pick it up, win it, collect it, find it, decode it, enter a code on Bungie etc... fine, I'll use it

Anything else (trade Glimmer, Items, Rep, Marks etc) screw that :pac:

I'm not vain enough, I'm happy with my Gaudy looking Warlock for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

To be honest as bland as the patrol missions are they are a great filler for end game. I use them when ever I need to collect bounties such as melee 30 enemies and that, I also use them to occupy myself until public events happen (which are key to endgame upgrading) and I use them as a minor rep grind when I am farming areas for materials such as spinmetal (which are also key to end game upgrading). While farming these mats I will explore the whole map looking for them or the chests which generally contain twice the amount of a normal source, looking for all of these takes you all over the map, high and low. You see that building in the distance that you never have to go near throughout the whole game? Well look a little closer at it and you will see me running around on the roof most likely just after finding a chest up there happy as Larry with myself. The material grind really does push the exploration to the max as you find them in the most bizarre places.

Uhm I just got an "Exotic Weapon Bounty" off the regular bounty guy, what's this about? Anyone else get that?

Gandalph wrote: »
    You see that building in the distance that you never have to go near throughout the whole game? Well look a little closer at it and you will see me running around on the roof most likely just after finding a chest up there happy as Larry with myself.

Ah but you can't really, it's more like that building in the "near distance" :p
    Past that it's 5 seconds to death
    I had a moment trying to show the game of to my OH on Venus.
    She was like it's very pretty, and tbh, a lot of the background and skylines really are.
    So there was me trying to show off and WHAM, end of map death :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭johnnybucks

Uhm I just got an "Exotic Weapon Bounty" off the regular bounty guy, what's this about? Anyone else get that?

Who off the normal guy to the left of the gunsmith?

Who off the normal guy to the left of the gunsmith?

Yeh, got to choose an exotic bounty, picked killing phogoth. It gave me a depleted exotic handcannon (my least favourite weapon!) and now I think I have to kill 500 hive to reactivate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

I got one after handing in my 1st bounty today, mine is for an exotic fusion rifle, the part I'm on right now requires me to dismantle 10 rare fusion rifles, it's gonna take forver :(

• Advertisement

Yeh, got to choose an exotic bounty, picked killing phogoth. It gave me a depleted exotic handcannon (my least favourite weapon!) and now I think I have to kill 500 hive to reactivate it.

Ughhhhh. It would have to be Hive and not Fallen or Vex, do Hive even have a place where they Re-Spawn? Like outside that temple maybe?
    Or you could do the Phogoth strike on Normal (as in outside the strike playlist) and just keep circling the room

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement