Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Bulb Exploded

Options
  • 15-02-2013 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Turned on kitchen light a couple of minutes ago and it literally exploded.

Sparks came flying from it straight onto the floor, red sparks to be percise.

It also knocked out all the electricity in the house. After turning back on the electricity I noticed the bulb had come away from the holder and the screwy part of the bulb, which is metal is now black as a cinder and all over the floor.

The holder in the light fitting is also jet black.

Just wondering why this happened, do I need a new light fitting?

I know bulbs blow and sometimes make a blue flash but I've never seen one explode before.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

what type of bulb it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

hate to sound skeptical but did you mean to post this in paranormal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

hate to sound skeptical but did you mean to post this in paranormal?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

This happens sometimes
    You may need an electrician up remove the broken holder from the fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

If you know how to turn the power off safely, get a potato and push it up into the broken bulb holder and twist it out.
    (read this somewhere before)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hey Guys,

Turned on kitchen light a couple of minutes ago and it literally exploded.

Sparks came flying from it straight onto the floor, red sparks to be percise.

It also knocked out all the electricity in the house. After turning back on the electricity I noticed the bulb had come away from the holder and the screwy part of the bulb, which is metal is now black as a cinder and all over the floor.

The holder in the light fitting is also jet black.

Just wondering why this happened, do I need a new light fitting?

I know bulbs blow and sometimes make a blue flash but I've never seen one explode before.

Thanks!

Sonic boom from this mornings meteor explosion.:eek::pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Jayus paddy, there is no stoppin you with that camera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Anyone out to get you?

M in Skyfall made some IEDs from light bulbs and shotgun shells and they went off with a right bang!

Other than that, the only time I've seen an incandescent bulb explode was when it was fully hot and it got hit with a spray of cold water.

Advertisement