Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BACKGARDEN WATER PROBLEM

Options
  • 15-02-2013 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,I am new to boards to bear with me. I have lot of rain Water coming through my boundary wall. Behind my house is an open field. I dug a kind of trench to direct the water towards the drain but everytime it rains water seems to stream through the wall. Does anybody have any ideas what i could do.

Here is a video of my back garden
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=15fiteg&s=6

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the ground in the field higher than in your wall?
    and this this just start recently, or has it always been that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi, how big is your garden.is the field on outside of wall heigher than your lawn. jack:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BACKGARDENHELP

The field behind me is on higher ground and my house would be at the end of the slope. None of my neighbours have this problem. I only moved in to the house a couple of years ago. The garden would be damp when it heavily rained but this bursting through the cracks of the back wall is new.

My garden would be 28ft by 26ft

hi, would the owner of the field put in a french drain on his side of the wall,you could offer to do the labour on it,jack

• Advertisement

I was thinking that myself. I never really see the farmer who owns the land till the summer when the cows are out grazing. May be i should try to get in contact with him and work something out.

hi, will you let us know how you get on ,jack

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

My €0.02

Whilst running the water to the drain is a good idea, your really going to need to put a sumph in there to catch dirt and debris which you can clear out yourself. Otherwise this dirt and debris is going to get into the underground drain and eventually block up and will be much more difficult to clear.

Basically, dig down next to the entrance of the drain, and put a concrete floor and box it up. You could probably buy prefabricated wavin to do this. Allow the water to run into this box, and then it rises up and fall in to the drain, and any debrish is caught in the box (sumph). This can be covered with a man hole cover.

What your doing in principle is the best thing to do, but needs a bit of tweaking.

Dig a trench along the wall either inside your boundary, or outside it with permission, and fill it with drainage stone surronding a flexible yellow drainage pipe. Do not cover the stone with soil. If you want, cover it with nice decorative stones.

This will trap the water, and put it into the pipe. But now, the important part is to send the water somewhere, and this is where I would connect the drainage pipe in to a solid pipe to run down your garden. This can be covered with soil. And just before it enters the drain, build your sumph and thats the water dealt with.

And then while your at it, dig other trenches across your garden, with drainage stones and yellow pipes. These can be covered with soil, and connect them all in to the same sumph, and you'll have a fine dry garden.

Hi Colm R thanks for that. That sounds like a good idea. Of course i cant find the farmer who owns the land behind me. So it looks like ill be digging on my side of the wall. I also took a quick video behind my boundary wall when it rained. There appears to be a large amount of muck up against the wall. I wonder would digging it up of course with farmers permission allow the water to run on.

Here is a quick video behind the wall.
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=6qxj5y&s=6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Getting rid of the pile of earth would be a good idea. its clearly causing water to pool and eventually overflow.

Advertisement