Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite falls in Chelyabinsk, Russia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Was the recently found 2012 asteroid breaking up or something separate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

^^^^^^^
    That is mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Ok newbie question here and pardon my ignorance. Can astronomers predict every meteor? Seems like a big enough one they missed here.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Ok newbie question here and pardon my ignorance. Can astronomers predict every meteor? Seems like a big enough one they missed here.
    They can to a point. Where that point is, i'm not sure.
    I've heard reports it was shot at with a missile. Sounds crazy but nothing would surprise me any more.
    I think theres a zinc factory badly damaged too, but it could be unrelated.
    At some stage i'll be able to give a definite answer!!

• Advertisement

Im on the phone so heres a link mentioning a missile strike:http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_15/400-injured-by-meteorite-debris-in-Russia/

shedweller wrote: »
    They can to a point. Where that point is, i'm not sure.
    I've heard reports it was shot at with a missile. Sounds crazy but nothing would surprise me any more.
    I think theres a zinc factory badly damaged too, but it could be unrelated.
    At some stage i'll be able to give a definite answer!!

I read about the missle strike but reports from that Russian 'ministry official' are unconfirmed.
    I saw a picture if a large building wrecked with billowing smoke, but maybe it was already in pieces and the impact of a burning rock wad incidental.

Some are saying it mighthave been the shockwave that damaged the building. I reckon something physically hit it because there were no other buildings damaged much apart from windows.

I read about the missle strike but reports from that Russian 'ministry official' are unconfirmed.
    I saw a picture if a large building wrecked with billowing smoke, but maybe it was already in pieces and the impact of a burning rock wad incidental.

Not a chance a rocket would intercept a Meteor

Some are saying it mighthave been the shockwave that damaged the building. I reckon something physically hit it because there were no other buildings damaged much apart from windows.

Meteors explode above the ground as it did in Siberia nearly 100 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

Some great videos on Youtube of the meteor, the blast noise from the shockwave is unreal!

Would love to see a meteor of that size someday.

No, the strike is BS, simple sensationalism from the street.

No, the strike is BS, simple sensationalism from the street.

Indeed. You cannot intercept what you cannot see coming and what is going at a speed way beyond any missile. One of the videos on youtube show the trail die and the rock continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Meteors explode above the ground as it did in Siberia nearly 100 years ago.

Kinda. The friction from the atmosphere starts tearing them apart, but the real damage is caused on impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

this one is much better (HD):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If the shockwave broke windows, I'd say it's quite possible that the roof of the factory simply collapsed.

Cant see why not. Why would the meteorite suddenly explode mid air otherwise?

sesswhat wrote: »
    If the shockwave broke windows, I'd say it's quite possible that the roof of the factory simply collapsed.

Shock-wave and debris done the damage according to many reports summarized here:

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_15/400-injured-by-meteorite-debris-in-Russia/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Cant see why not and I would believe that version here too. Why would the meteorite suddenly explode mid air otherwise?

Check out the Tunguska Incident

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Check out the Tunguska Incident

And? You dont know, I dont know. All speculation so far.

Cant see why not. Why would the meteorite suddenly explode mid air otherwise?

Because it was an air burst. I would go as far as to say a Missile intercepting an unknown Meteor as practically impossible. Perhaps if you had warning or a very large one, maybe, but even then - maybe.

Have a read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

And? You dont know, I dont know. All speculation so far.

You wanted to know why a meteorite would explode in mid air, I told you to tread about an incident that happened that explains it can & does happen.

Whats the speculation, that this meteor was shot down? It'd be like shooting a bowling ball with a water pistol. Any missile with enough power to destroy the meteor would have made a very different video

Because it was an air burst. I would go as far as to say a Missile intercepting an unknown Meteor as practically impossible. Perhaps if you had warning or a very large one, maybe, but even then - maybe.

Have a read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

The report are talking about shooting the meteorite 20km - what you see would be AFTER that interception happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

According to Sergey Smirnov from Pulkova Observatory,there is a high chance that another meteor could enter the Earths atmosphere in the next few hours.

The one that broke up was probably of Iron nature and about 1 metre in diameter.

There is supposed to be a strong smell of gun powder in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

It was fascinating watching sky news at 9am it was main story.

Because it was an air burst.

Oh so now the speculation are gone, IT WAS. Thanks Professor. :D

Oh so now the speculation are gone, IT WAS. Thanks Professor. :D

I suppose in 1908 it was a missile strike as well then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

All this would of been avoided if Bruce Willis had not of been promoting his new Die Hard film :pac:

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I suppose in 1908 it was a missile strike as well then?

That air burst could still be there, what I'm reading is that they would have shot down that thing before the video we all watched.

Advertisement