Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite falls in Chelyabinsk, Russia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Quick question. (from my wife in fact!)
    I thought we tracked lamost everything in our local space.
    Why wasn't this tracked beforehand. It has proven itself to have had enough energy to cause major damage if aimed correctly.
    Was it tracked and deemed unworthy of mention for fear of causing undue disruption?
    Was it simply too small and too far away to pick out and track?

edit: I have answered my own question. It was too small and faint to see.http://www.lfpress.com/2013/02/15/western-university-astronomer-says-russian-meteor-first-of-its-type-in-more-than-100-years-too-small-to-track
    Despite the meteor strike over Russia being the largest recorded object to hit the Earth in more than a century, it's no surprise no one saw it coming, says a member of the Western University Meteor Group.

Hundreds of people were injured and buildings damaged about 9:20 a.m. in Chelyabinsk, a city of one million about 1,500 kilometres east of Moscow.

Western University astronomy professor Margaret Campbell-Brown said the meteor was about 15 metres across, one third the size of the asteroid that flew by the Earth Friday.

Friday's larger 45-metre diameter asteroid is at the limit of what astronomers are able to track, she said.

"It doesn't surprise me at all we would miss a 15-metre object before it hits us because it would be very faint and very hard to detect," said Campbell-Brown, who is also a member of Western's Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration.

"If the object isn't lit by the glare of the sun it is hidden," she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I know they're denying that both events the safe fly by and the meteorite hit, are not connected but seriously what are the odds of such a coincidence. I don't believe they weren't connected. One hit the north and the other came in from the south. Is that even the truth. Am I the only one who thinks this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I know they're denying that both events the safe fly by and the meteorite hit, are not connected but seriously what are the odds of such a coincidence. I don't believe they weren't connected. One hit the north and the other came in from the south. Is that even the truth. Am I the only one who thinks this.

Why would they lie though? Any ameteur astronomer would be abke to confirm/challenge the north/south direction claim anyway.

Rasmus wrote: »

Why would they lie though? Any ameteur astronomer would be abke to confirm/challenge the north/south direction claim anyway.
    I know and I was sitting here trying to think how could they hide that but to be fair it is an unbelievable coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

That time-lapse shows just how high the dust trail was - watch the shadow of it moving above the cloudbase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Popoutman wrote: »
    That time-lapse shows just how high the dust trail was - watch the shadow of it moving above the cloudbase.

That's really bizarre - there are two shadows - one (the large fuzzy quickmoving shadow) which would make sense given the sharp angle of the sun at sunrise evident in the shading of the earth, and the speed obviously disproportionately quick on account of the movement of the sun.

But what i can't figure out is what causes (i.e what light source) creates the shadow immediately with the fireball angle of which appears to suggest a direction of light coming from slightly below the observer and slightly to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Some fantastic videos of that.
    The damage done is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

shedweller wrote: »
    Quick question. (from my wife in fact!)
    I thought we tracked lamost everything in our local space.
    Why wasn't this tracked beforehand. It has proven itself to have had enough energy to cause major damage if aimed correctly.
    Was it tracked and deemed unworthy of mention for fear of causing undue disruption?
    Was it simply too small and too far away to pick out and track?

Its coming .... http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/satellites/neossat/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Video focuses more on the blast (shock wave) ... unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

phil plait is saying they are actual explosions of the thing breaking up rather then just sonicbooms, the vido starting at 3mins is mad, it seems so calm for ages then boom

• Advertisement

Here's link to reports of two other meteorites - in California and Cuba. There seems to be only 2 poor videos of the California one, and a picture of the one over Cuba.

http://www.meteotimes.net/2013/02/video-first-russia-now-cuba-apparently.html

You'll see there is a line in the report :

"Though it may seem strange to have two high-profile meteor sightings in a span of a little less than 24 hours, Sacramento City College Astronomy Coordinator Liam McDaid says it’s just a coincidence."

Just a Cold War-esque coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I take it the CT forum is going apesh1t over this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In before "It's not a meteorite, it's a crashed alien space craft!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The only coincidence is that humans were alive to witness it. These type of events have been happening for billions of years, long before our species evolved and will continue long after we're extinct. In cosmological time-scales they're common as muck, what's unique is our presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

phil plait is saying they are actual explosions of the thing breaking up rather then just sonicbooms, the vido starting at 3mins is mad, it seems so calm for ages then boom

That's because it's over 50km away. The speed of sound is .34 km/s at sea level. 50/.34 = 147 seconds.

The fact that it can shatter windows at 50km away shows the amazing energy of the blast estimated a 500 kilotons of TNT or some where around 20-30 times the energy of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear explosions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

sink wrote: »
    The fact that it can shatter windows at 50km away shows the amazing energy of the blast estimated a 500 kilotons of TNT

What I find even more amazing is that humans can construct a weapon 100 TIMES more powerful -

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-most-powerful-bomb-ever-constructed/

Incidentally, is there any way of translating what the blokes who took the videos are actually saying, I'd like to understand their reactions when the sound wave struck:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭quodec

Two observations:

1) What is kind of surprising is the amount of cameras in cars in central Russia, switched on on a Friday morning at 9 a.m. Are some of these police cars, or what?

2) The time delay between the camcorders showing the heat/debris trail in the sky above the town and the shock waves hitting the buildings; maybe several seconds at least. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

quodec wrote: »
    Two observations:

1) What is kind of surprising is the amount of cameras in cars in central Russia, switched on on a Friday morning at 9 a.m. Are some of these police cars, or what?

read that most have cameras for legal reasons

2) The time delay between the camcorders showing the heat/debris trail in the sky above the town and the shock waves hitting the buildings; maybe several seconds at least. Strange!

the shockwaves had to travel 30 to 50 km

Autobots - has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Two observations:

A lot of people have them because of cases of insurance fraud and the likes in Mother Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

the shockwaves had to travel 30 to 50 km
    Thats it. Sound travels a lot slower than light. Science 101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dash cams are effectively mandatory in Russia as the Russian insurance industry demand them if you want car insurance due to corruption of the police. ie it would be the person with the least amount of cash in their pocket when the police arrived that would be at fault for the accident. For the same reason, most car crash vids on the Internet are of Russian origin. While Russian roads probably aren't the safest in the world by a very long shot, they are made to look a lot unsafer than they are be the amount of crash vids you see from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Incidentally, is there any way of translating what the blokes who took the videos are actually saying, I'd like to understand their reactions when the sound wave struck:cool:

I don't know enough Russian to understand it all, but listen out for people shouting "ебать!" which is pronounced "ye-BATCH" and which basically means "fuuuuck!!!"

Two observations:

Not surprising at all in Russia - because of insurance fraud and a not-quite-upstanding police force, large numbers of motorists use dash-cams, so that they'll have evidence of what really happened if they ever need it. It means that we have lots of footage of anything that happens near to a road, such as the Red Wings crash near Moscow in the last few weeks.

It's the same reason that thunder rumbles a few seconds after the flash. The explosion took place about 30 or 40 miles away so it would have taken a while for the shockwave to reach Chelyabinsk. It only takes a fraction of a second for the light to travel the same distance.

some interesting speculation on this list http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

4ndroid wrote: »
    Did they all come from the same direction.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

4ndroid wrote: »

The chances are that these wouldn't have made big news if it wasn't for the Russian meteorite. Unless you're an avid astronomer you'd be none the wiser.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sink wrote: »
    If Russia does have a nuclear tipped missile shield, which is a bit far fetched in itself; then it is designed to intercept ICBM's which travel at fractions of the speed of meteors, outside of a Hollywood it's impossible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Ballistic_Missile_Treaty

Ballistic missiles don't even get to orbital speed

Incoming meteors and comets would be of three main types

stony - one big rock becomes lots of little ones, instead of one big hole which may or may not be in a built up area you now have a cluster bomb and lots more stuff gets hit

iron/nickel - you'll scratch the paintwork

ice - ice is funny stuff, if you try to blow up an iceberg you'll probably just punch a hole through it, and it'll probably explode in the atmosphere anyway,

• Advertisement

Advertisement