Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite falls in Chelyabinsk, Russia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Daffodil.d wrote: »

Thats nonsense, its the object breaking up

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I think this is the one over Cuba;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

that's little fella
    image122284_3ed2cc9c9ce658dec5ec4cbac218ed20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the lake asteroids site is still doubtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

This:
    first recording of the event being in Alaska, over 6,500 kilometers away from Chelyabinsk

Are they saying it began its reentry (entry, even!) over alaska? I don't necessarily mean it actually burning up but rather, where it's orbit is getting pulled into earth. If you catch my meaning.

The reason i ask this is because the direction it came from may have been maybe 90 degrees more eastward, over Alaska.

Ultimately, what i'm trying to say is: Do we know for certain which direction the Chelyabinsk meteorite came from?
    Because beginning its entry over alaska is a lot different to beginning its entry over Chelyabinsk. Off the top of my head i'd say near 90 degrees of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Could this have been heard entering the atmosphere around the world?

On Saturday we heard what sounded like a fighter jet in Liverpool. It occurred around the same time.

Everyone was screaming and looking around so it must have been unexpected what ever the noise was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Could this have been heard entering the atmosphere around the world?

On Saturday we heard what sounded like a fighter jet in Liverpool. It occurred around the same time.

Everyone was screaming and looking around so it must have been unexpected what ever the noise was.

The meteor strike was on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

shedweller wrote: »
    They can to a point. Where that point is, i'm not sure.
    I've heard reports it was shot at with a missile. Sounds crazy but nothing would surprise me any more.
    I think theres a zinc factory badly damaged too, but it could be unrelated.
    At some stage i'll be able to give a definite answer!!
    The zinc factory story is a hoax, if you look at the footage not only is there no snow on the ground but you can see a guy wearing a t shirt and shorts - in Siberia in February! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The zinc factory story is a hoax, if you look at the footage not only is there no snow on the ground but you can see a guy wearing a t shirt and shorts - in Siberia in February! :rolleyes:

Dont know which footage you're referring to, but there is snow in the videos, it's just ploughed. Also, you would be surprised at the amount of joggers in shorts and tshirts in winter - and its not Siberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Rasmus wrote: »
    Dont know which footage you're referring to, but there is snow in the videos, it's just ploughed. Also, you would be surprised at the amount of joggers in shorts and tshirts in winter - and its not Siberia.
    Chelyabinsk is east of the Urals which means it's in western Siberia.
    Look closely at 0:35, there is no way that was filmed in February, you can see the guy in the top left corner.

• Advertisement

Chelyabinsk is east of the Urals which means it's in western Siberia.
    Look closely at 0:35, there is no way that was filmed in February, you can see the guy in the top left corner.

4dtHHNu.jpg

source https://twitter.com/a_koretsky/statuses/302272831029391360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Great perspective on that shot from the airliner - you really get a feel for the curvature of the earth knowing that the point that the head of the bolide is easily 5 times higher than the plane, so there's a lot of atmosphere between the camera and the dust trail. That trail is at least 250 km long.. The horizon is about 300km away from cruise altitude, so the trail is probably (guessing for camera field of view) 500-800km away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The silence regarding the meteorite fragments is weird, makes you almost believe the conspiracies...:confused:

The silence regarding the meteorite fragments is weird, makes you almost believe the conspiracies...:confused:
    If it completely broke apart then it's going to be a needle in a haystack to find all those pieces. But the likes of that picture from the plane above should help narrow down the landing area.
    Linky:http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_18/Chelyabinsk-meteorite-made-close-shave-with-airliner/
    It has just transpired that the Chelyabinsk meteorite that struck on Friday made a close shave with a Bombardier CRJ-200 airliner, as it was making a landing approach to Chelyabinsk Airport. The pilot, Captain Alexander Arkhipov, of Ak Bars Airlines, says he felt the heat and observed the heavenly intruder breaking up into several fragments.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/02/18/russian-chelyabinsk-meteor-largest-since-1908-tungunska-event/
    Large pieces of the meteor have yet to be found. However, a team from the Urals Federal University, which is based in Yekaterinburg, collected 53 fragments, the largest of which was 7 millimeters, according to Viktor Grokhovsky, a scientist at the university.

METEOR-popup-v3.jpg
    Sasha Zarezina, 8, said of her find as she dug for meteorites in Deputatskoye, Russia, "I will sell it for 100 million euros."

spacer.gifspacer.gif
    spacer.gif Aim high girl, aim high!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Amazing "like a movie"

Scary ****
    makes ya wonder what else that's out there they are not tracking or cant see

"Commentators" in Media are comparing this with the Tunguska event
    that was of far far greater power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

this google map is interesting it pinpoints video and shows you video from every angle https://maps.google.ee/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=216221265233140305376.0004d5da6860954d651ba

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

shedweller wrote: »
    They can to a point. Where that point is, i'm not sure.
    I've heard reports it was shot at with a missile. Sounds crazy but nothing would surprise me any more.
    I think theres a zinc factory badly damaged too, but it could be unrelated.
    At some stage i'll be able to give a definite answer!!

All meteors half a mile wide and larger have been mapped, but even ones as large as a truck can slip by undetected.

• Advertisement

illicit007 wrote: »
    All meteors half a mile wide and larger have been mapped, but even ones as large as a truck can slip by undetected.

Collisions are constantly occurring in the asteroid belt however, so there is always the chance of a big one approaching us which we hadn't previously mapped.

Collisions are constantly occurring in the asteroid belt however, so there is always the chance of a big one approaching us which we hadn't previously mapped.

Correct. However the "big ones" that are half a mile and larger, by the time they get from the main belt, all the way past Mars, to anywhere close to Earth, we would have detected them within weeks of them getting anywhere near here. Leaving us with enough time to launch a deflection rocket.

The problem is the ones smaller than half a mile wide, not the "big ones". They are much smaller and much harder to detect with current technology. One of those could easily be enough to kill tens or hundreds of thousands or even millions of people. The good news is it's not very likely to happen in our life time that any of us, or any one we know would get killed. The earth is a really large place. It can happen sure, but it's unlikely that a) an asteroid large enough to kill thousands or more will strike b) that it will strike a densely populated area (or even land itself.)

The earth gets hit by hundreds of meteorites every day. I can't remember the exact number but it adds up to be something like tonnes of material falling to the earth. The thing is most of it burns up in the atmosphere and comes down as dust or tiny pebbles. A meteorite would have to be as big as a truck to make it through the atmosphere without completely burning up.

fake? what?

This one is real, there are many more from different angle showing the trail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless you can provide a citation then I'll say 90% of those in near earth orbits.

So 10% missing

And more than 10% missing as it gets worse as you go further out, also we could have stuff perturbed by Jupiter and have visitors from the Oort cloud

Russia meteor's origin tracked down

Astronomers have traced the origin of a meteor that injured about 1,000 people after breaking up over central Russia earlier this month.

Using amateur video footage, they were able to plot the meteor's trajectory through Earth's atmosphere and then reconstruct its orbit around the Sun.

As the space rock burned up over the city of Chelyabinsk, the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings.

The team, from Colombia, has published details on the Arxiv website.

Numerous videos of the fireball were taken with camera phones, CCTV and car-dashboard cameras and subsequently shared widely on the web. Furthermore, traffic camera footage of the fireball had precise time and date stamps.

Early estimates of the meteor's mass put it at ten tonnes; US space agency Nasa later estimated it to be between 7,000 and 10,000 tonnes. Nasa estimates the size of the object was about 17m (55ft).

Using the footage and the location of an impact into Lake Chebarkul, Jorge Zuluaga and Ignacio Ferrin, from the University of Antioquia in Medellin were able to use simple trigonometry to calculate the height, speed and position of the rock as it fell to Earth.

To reconstruct the meteor's original orbit around the Sun, they used six different properties of its trajectory through Earth's atmosphere. Most of these are related to the point at which the meteor becomes bright enough to cast a noticeable shadow in the videos.
    _66071188_66071187.jpg

The Chelyabinsk meteor (labelled ChM) appears to have been on an elliptical orbit around the Sun before it collided with Earth

The researchers then plugged their figures into astronomy software developed by the US Naval Observatory.

The results suggest the meteor belongs to a well known family of space rocks - known as the Apollo asteroids - that cross Earth's orbit.

Of about 9,700 near-Earth asteroids discovered so far, about 5,200 are thought to be Apollos. Asteroids are divided into different groups such as Apollo, Aten, or Amor, based on the type of orbit they have.

Dr Stephen Lowry, from the University of Kent, said the team had done well to publish so quickly.

"It certainly looks like it was a member of the Apollo class of asteroids," he told BBC News.

"Its elliptical, low inclination orbit, indicates a solar system origin, most likely from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Dr Lowry added: "Perhaps with more data, we can determine roughly where in the asteroid belt it come from."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21579422

Unless you can provide a citation then I'll say 90% of those in near earth orbits.

So 10% missing

And more than 10% missing as it gets worse as you go further out, also we could have stuff perturbed by Jupiter and have visitors from the Oort cloud

Hey man you're probably right. I just remember hearing it from "The Universe" a number of television series I've watched every episode of.

NEO's stand for Near Earth Objects. I was pretty sure they said they'd found every half mile wide NEO but they probably said every mile wide NEO and only a percentage of the half mile wide NEOs.

That being said an NEO a lot smaller than half a mile wide can do a heck of a lot of damage.

Regards the Oort cloud, I dunno that thing is sooooo far far away I think the main worries are the Main Belt and the Kaipur belt. Comets can come from the Oort cloud but they rarely come any where close to Earth, right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Comets can come from the Oort cloud but they rarely come any where close to Earth, right?
    yes and no,

it's rare, but they are there and it would be their first trip so you can't predict them unless you spot them on the way in

the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one he said, the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one , but still they come

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

The earth gets hit by hundreds of meteorites every day. I can't remember the exact number but it adds up to be something like tonnes of material falling to the earth. The thing is most of it burns up in the atmosphere and comes down as dust or tiny pebbles. A meteorite would have to be as big as a truck to make it through the atmosphere without completely burning up.
    Wahhey, I was just watching "wonders of life" the other day and Cox said it, 46,000 Tonnes every year.

Top Series that. Need to watch it again.

Advertisement