Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up a blog, but not on main website

Options
  • 15-02-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some expert advice please.....

My Brother in law is setting up a website so lets call it 'abc.com' for arguments sake....
    It has been recommended to him that he also set up a blog, but he does not want this blog on his 'abc.com' website

Is it possible to have the blog set up as 'abc.com/blog' but not have it on his main 'abc.com' website?

I know this probably sounds confusing but i think that he is interested in driving traffic from the wordpress blog to the main website for certain terms only.....

And if so what is the best way to set this up in Parrallels....

Any advice is welcomed :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Or is there an easy way to set this up as 'blog.abc.com'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

The "cleanest" way to achieve this (for whatever reason!) would be to use either a separate directory: "abc.com/blog" or perhaps a subdomain "blog.abc.com" to host the blog portion of the site.

Personally I like the subdomain.

C

ed:

I only saw the second post now - yea, if he has a decent hosting provider and access to the likes of "cpanel" its very simple to set up and administer a sub-domain.

Thanks for that blue4ever.... Any tips on setting it up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

It's a bit difficult to answer that - it's a bit like 'how do you build a house'!!

You'd need to know the hosting provider, the platform, the proposed CMS system etc so it's a little beyond the scope of this forum - it's too detailed!

Look, if your outlaw needs a few pointers etc, i'll pm you an email address and he can contact me there and I'll see what advice i can offer.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Thanks for that blue4ever.... Any tips on setting it up ?

Pay a developer to set it up, should take no time at all and cost very little.

I'll happily quote to set up your blog on a sub domain (blog.domain.com) or directory ( domain.com/blog )

Pm me some contact details and I can talk you through it.

Adrian

• Advertisement

Pay a developer to set it up, should take no time at all and cost very little.

I'll happily quote to set up your blog on a sub domain (blog.domain.com) or directory ( domain.com/blog )

Pm me some contact details and I can talk you through it.

Adrian
    Thanks for all your help guys but we got it figured out..... Google is your friend :)

Thanks again....

Advertisement