Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of East 2013

Options
  • 15-02-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Entries for this opened this morning. Anyone else signed up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

yep, i'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

A month before DCT - could be a good training day out.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just entered now. Thanks for the reminder guys!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

IN to beat Oryx ;)

Hoping to do Humbert the week before but like with tri an mhi I don't wanna miss out. This may be up for grabs to the best offer closer to the time.

IN to beat Oryx ;)

Hoping to do Humbert the week before but like with tri an mhi I don't wanna miss out. This may be up for grabs to the best offer closer to the time.
    If you do I play the age card. ;)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    If you do I play the age card. ;)

And if I don't beat you I play the ''women get better with age'' card :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The last batch of 50 individual entries opened this morning, can't see them lasting long (I nabbed one!), enter via TI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Snagged one!
    How tough is the bike leg for a wuss like me who dies around Kilternan/Enniskerry?

Ugh I really should start hitting the hills to get some sort of half arsed prep in for this

Ugh I really should start hitting the hills to get some sort of half arsed prep in for this

Ditto. No excuses here. I'm surrounded by hills!

• Advertisement

So, are we looking forward to this? I did a recce of the bike route, my ass is still vibrating from the rough road from Laragh-Rathdrum. The run is going to be a killer in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Looking forward to it here. The Briefing mentions the midges in the morning by the lake - how bad are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

Anyone any views on whether the bike course is better suited to a TT or road bike set up...?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Yeah can't wait now, though a friends wedding Friday night won't help (excuse is in!!)
    Did it 2 years ago Podge and midges are woeful around transition, bring some of that jungle spray, you'll get it in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Casula wrote: »
    Anyone any views on whether the bike course is better suited to a TT or road bike set up...?

TT, you will lose time on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

mloc123 wrote: »
    TT, you will lose time on a road bike.

^^^^ Definitely TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    So, are we looking forward to this? I did a recce of the bike route, my ass is still vibrating from the rough road from Laragh-Rathdrum. The run is going to be a killer in the heat.

Yes poor section. Did the first 2 years of BOTE and bike up there most weeks but haven't done the section from Laragh to T2 in years.
    Little recce (60k) this evening.
    Podge83 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it here. The Briefing mentions the midges in the morning by the lake - how bad are these?

Bad, bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Podge83 wrote: »
    The Briefing mentions the midges in the morning by the lake - how bad are these?

really bad !!!

looking forward to this and dreading it all in one. First 3km of Bray run on wednesday were a disaster, so i'm not sure if its still a hangover from Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I did the bike route the other night, its tough. Didn't even want to see the run :eek:
    Lake looks great though. Got savaged by midges, get the spray on..

Better get some spray!!!

I've chosen to do it on my road bike (haven't got a TT). Attracted by El Director's sale on another thread but just haven't got the liquidity at the mo. So for now I'm stuck with my road bike with "strap-ons"

Looking forward to it now - early start for me though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I had been trying to decide between Road bike and TT bike too, road bike has a compact and goes up to 28 on the back, TT bike is a double with a 25 on the back. I'm nice and light at 62KG but the climbing position on the TT isn't great (Argon 18 with the drop base bars). Had pretty much made my mind up on road bike but not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

30km or so of the bike is flat or rolling... it is 100% a TT bike course.

Is it a long run out to the bike mount line? Looks it on the map.

Oryx wrote: »
    Is it a long run out to the bike mount line? Looks it on the map.

Yep, through grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I 'fraid...

Very well organized by Wicklow Tri, well done to all of them. A lot cooler than expected. Bike 38k, run seemed short, 8.7k?

Results

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Well done but those run times.. look too good to be true. Fingal 10km won today in 30:14 and I see the 5th place ran 30:48 on a hilly course...

Well organised on the whole but one big exception:-

The Short run. (very short run). I know it's short for everyone but if you're chasing & catching a fella that finishes a few seconds ahead of you and he beats you to a category win you'd be giving out, particularly if running was your strongest!! Its billed as 10k, was last year - why shorter this year? It was well over a km short. It appears that the cone was just put out a few 100m too early - does anyone know if there was a safety or other reason for this??. If not, it shouldn't happen in a NS race IMO.

On the plus side the swim was fantastic - great setting - surely one of the best!

The Bike course was tough in places but it is for all. The road surface a bit dodgy in places but I suppose that's not Wicklow Tri's fault.

My first time doing it and I will forgive the short run and return again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Bah thats where my great run time came from!

Otherwise a great day out! Warm water was a treat. great course and great organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Very well organized by Wicklow Tri, well done to all of them. A lot cooler than expected. Bike 38k, run seemed short, 8.7k?

Results

Yep, my Garmin showed 8.6km

Advertisement