Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs available/wanted

• 15-02-2013 10:52am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Friendly notice: This thread is an experiment, and will be closely monitored by the forum mods.

We've got a good community going here, and on more than one occasion people have posted to mention that there are openings available at their workplaces. Sensible Anti-Pedobear Rules dictate that posting your full name and work contact info on a thread like this is An DoublePlusUngood Idea, so here's what we're going to do.

If you know of an opening at your place of work, you can post it once in this thread. Your post should include:
    • the approximate salary range (if known)
    • the industry and job title
    • experience and/or other requirements in 1-2 sentences
    • the expected start date
    If anyone is interested in the job, they will PM you and ask for more information. I will, on a regular basis (probably monthly-ish), prune the thread to remove any posts relating to old vacancies.

Similarly, if you are looking for work in particular industries, you may post once. Your post should include:
    • your area of work and job type sought
    • your availability
    • experience (1-2 sentences max)
    If anyone knows of opportunities which may be relevant, they can PM you the details.

To ensure that this works, we're going to have a few rules.
    • Do not post a direct link to the job listing, or the contact details for anyone involved in the recruitment process for a role. Any contact about a vacancy you post must be via PM. However, if an opening is still available and I've deleted the old listing, you can re-post.
    • Do not post more than once with requests for work, or bump old posts about seeking vacancies. If your original post has been deleted and you are still available/seeking work, you can re-post.
    • If I discover/suspect you are a recruiter, or your only contributions to the forum are in this thread, you may get banned.
    • If you generally misbehave or disrupt the thread, you'll get banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Any help would be appreciated. Looking for sales management / bus development roles probably with company car etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Hi,

Does anyone know of good temping agencies? I have any arts degree and I've just came back from Oz where I was working odd jobs typical of backpackers. Now that I'm in London, Id rather try to get some temping work in admin to start me off and take it from there but I've been applying to all the obvious ones like hays, adecco and so on, yet I haven't heard a single thing back. Given that it's only admin / customer service work I've been looking for, I'm pretty surprised that I can't manage to get anything.

It is simply that those kinds of jobs are really difficult to get here in London, or are there some lesser known agencies that some of you might have went through in the past which are worth giving a call?

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Could be worth giving burton bolton and rose I harrow a ring or send them your cv. Found them very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Similar question to Leif above.

Finishing second year of Marketing here and I'm looking to possibly find some temporary work in London over the summer. (Available from 17th May until early September).

Would anyone know the best people to ask/best websites to check out for such work?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Similar question to Leif above.

Finishing second year of Marketing here and I'm looking to possibly find some temporary work in London over the summer. (Available from 17th May until early September).

Would anyone know the best people to ask/best websites to check out for such work?

Thanks

http://www.step.org.uk/

• Advertisement

danotroy wrote: »

Jaysus that website is useless. I find reed.co.uk to be pretty good as far as I can see. Applied for a few temp roles through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Finishing a Masters in Journalism and I come from an online marketing background, mainly PPC, but would like to get into content creation etc. I realise how difficult it is to get a job in journalism in Ireland and the UK, so this area would be a good start.

I have heard mixed reports about Reed, but have been using Linkedin, The Guardian, and Media Argh, which so far, seem to be good.

As I'm just finishing, I haven't gotten the finger out yet, but if anyone on here is working in that area, any advice or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

seachto7 wrote: »
    Finishing a Masters in Journalism and I come from an online marketing background, mainly PPC, but would like to get into content creation etc. I realise how difficult it is to get a job in journalism in Ireland and the UK, so this area would be a good start.

I have heard mixed reports about Reed, but have been using Linkedin, The Guardian, and Media Argh, which so far, seem to be good.

As I'm just finishing, I haven't gotten the finger out yet, but if anyone on here is working in that area, any advice or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Getting a job as a conventional news/features journalist is certainly very difficult, but with the explosion in 'branded content' and so forth online, the general areas of content creation/marketing copywriting/social media management are quite healthy these days, and London is the place to be for it, with countless media agencies and publishing companies based here.

Keep an eye on medianation.co.uk, mediauk.com/jobs, sourcethatjob.com, journalism.co.uk and pressgazette.co.uk for opportunities.

Thanks for those contacts. Yep, I agree, I had been looking outside of London out of curiosity, in place like Manchester, but it all seems to be London. There are jobs outside London, but just not a whole lot.
    I had been arsing around on the Canadian and Australian threads sussing out my options as well, but I'm too old for working holiday visas for both, so the UK (assuming I can get a job that is) would be the easiest option...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I know of a few jobs going at the moment:

Social Media Content Editor
    Sport Social Media Content Editor
    Culture & Entertainment Social Media Content Editor

All three positions require proven experience within a similar position. Ideally should be educated to degree level with a high interest in national press and online culture.

• Advertisement

I know of a few jobs going at the moment:

Social Media Content Editor
    Sport Social Media Content Editor
    Culture & Entertainment Social Media Content Editor

All three positions require proven experience within a similar position. Ideally should be educated to degree level with a high interest in national press and online culture.

Would possibly be interested in finding out some more about these. I'm finishing up a journalism masters in August and have worked in online marketing. I'm in Ireland, but obviously keen to get going as soon as I can after the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NumptyB

I work in internal audit in a bank head office here, looking for a similar role...or an audit role anywhere in London.
    I have some small experience in volunteering for an NGO and doing some social media work also.

Would possibly be interested in finding out some more about these. I'm finishing up a journalism masters in August and have worked in online marketing. I'm in Ireland, but obviously keen to get going as soon as I can after the course.

For someone finishing a Masters I would've thought that a basic entry level of this caliber would be well below par for you. Prob min wage

callaway92 wrote: »
    For someone finishing a Masters I would've thought that a basic entry level of this caliber would be well below par for you. Prob min wage

This is my predicament. Are these entry level jobs? I have been in online marketing since 2007, so would have experience there. However, from a journalistic angle, I don't have the experience.
    I suppose it depends what angle I come at things from...

This is my predicament. Are these entry level jobs? I have been in online marketing since 2007, so would have experience there. However, from a journalistic angle, I don't have the experience.
    I suppose it depends what angle I come at things from...

Absolutely. I'm doing Marketing in WIT at the moment (just here for the summer) and jobs like you've listed would be Min Wage/Work Placement quality jobs. Would be disappointed working in something so basic when finished my Level 8 Degree, never mind yourself with your Masters. For about 6 months I did Social Media work for 3 different companies without getting paid for it and had no problem doing so.

Just an add-on then is the prices in London would make it a no-go for min wage jobs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've moved some off-topic posts to the Moving To/Living In London Megathread. Please keep any posts in this thread on topic.

Advertisement