Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic guide to Self Build Wood Frame construction and costing for Garage/ storeroom

Options
  • 15-02-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Is there anywhere I can get a beginners guide to timber frame construction methods? I get find lots of detailed discussions, but struggle finding an overall guide to fundamentals.
    Planning to extend our standalone domestic garage with a second equally sized garden storage / workshop area (~24 sq m) so it’s a “relatively straightforward” 3 sided construction. A friend is an architect, so planning, etc will be looked after.
    I have some gardening leave due to a job change and some practical skills, so plan to do as much of the work myself as possible. Timber frame is attractive as I could do a fair amount myself, (other than foundations, plastering & roof )

General view is that overall costs might not be that different. Insulation will be similar to domestic standard as workshop might be occasionally heated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fortyplus wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can get a beginners guide to timber frame construction methods? I get find lots of detailed discussions, but struggle finding an overall guide to fundamentals.
    Planning to extend our standalone domestic garage with a second equally sized garden storage / workshop area (~24 sq m) so it’s a “relatively straightforward” 3 sided construction. A friend is an architect, so planning, etc will be looked after.
    I have some gardening leave due to a job change and some practical skills, so plan to do as much of the work myself as possible. Timber frame is attractive as I could do a fair amount myself, (other than foundations, plastering & roof )

General view is that overall costs might not be that different. Insulation will be similar to domestic standard as workshop might be occasionally heated.

Thanks!
    Google 'Walter segal timber construction methods'

Advertisement