Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible that my bill is wrong? (It's nearly €50 more than it normally is?)

Options
  • 15-02-2013 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Unlike a phone bill, it's impossible to know where the money has been spent. Our bill has never been as high as the one we received this morning. It doesn't make any sense that it has increased by nearly €50 - how do we deal with this if we feel it is incorrect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Another question,

Can you confirm whether your bill is based on a reading or estimate?

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Hi Another question,

Can you confirm whether your bill is based on a reading or estimate?

Regards,
    Una
    It's reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

extra use at xmas plus the price of electricity increased i think?

Hi again Another question,

Thanks for confirming. And do you have access to the previous bill(s)? If there was an under-estimate or under-estimates prior to this bill, it is making up the difference.

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Another question,

Thanks for confirming. And do you have access to the previous bill(s)? If there was an under-estimate or under-estimates prior to this bill, it is making up the difference.

Regards,
    Una
    Can I give you the account number and could you check if there was an under-estimate on the previous bill please?

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    extra use at xmas plus the price of electricity increased i think?
    Was there a price increase in electricity? I'm querying this on behalf on the bill-payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,469 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mine was up from €140 to €208 - and we have only just moved back to Electric Ireland, second bill since moving, and both based on readings.

Can I give you the account number and could you check if there was an under-estimate on the previous bill please?
    Yes of course once you are the named account-holder or your name is an authorised contact on the account. Do private message me your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Our Appliance Calculator is also very useful for keeping track of what appliances are consuming: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/appliance-calculators.jsp

There was a 5.9% price increase in electricity, commencing last October: http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=2074

If there have been discounts on the account also (for direct debit/online billing) they may have expired (we can apply new discounts once the customer agrees to the terms and conditions).

Regards,
    Una

Yes of course once you are the named account-holder or your name is an authorised contact on the account. Do private message me your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Our Appliance Calculator is also very useful for keeping track of what appliances are consuming: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/appliance-calculators.jsp

There was a 5.9% price increase in electricity, commencing last October: http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=2074

If there have been discounts on the account also (for direct debit/online billing) they may have expired (we can apply new discounts once the customer agrees to the terms and conditions).

Regards,
    Una
    I'm not a named contact on the account.Would the previous bill have included the price increase?

Hi again,

Yes, the December bill would have included the price increase.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭skippey

Our bill was read for December /jan and was a massive €600 compared to €300 last year and normally is about €240 bimonthly around winter time €180 summer time we questioned it and we're asked if we had the tumbler dryer on a bit more than normal .
    It was estimated at €255 in oct/nov and was read for aug/sept and we had no extra lights for Christmas
    The units used for dec/jan were over double the normal amount according to the meter

Hi Skippey,

Have you compared the meter reading on this bill to the figure on the meter?

If you turn everything off via the trip-switch, and then the meter disk/light is still rotating/flashing after 10 minutes, it could indicate a malfunction with the meter.

Where is the meter located? What type of premises is it (house, apartment, flat in old house)?

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭skippey

Hi Skippey,

Have you compared the meter reading on this bill to the figure on the meter?

If you turn everything off via the trip-switch, and then the meter disk/light is still rotating/flashing after 10 minutes, it could indicate a malfunction with the meter.

Where is the meter located? What type of premises is it (house, apartment, flat in old house)?

Regards,
    Una
    HI una 
    the meter is at the side of the house i have switched everything off and the meter has stopped rotating 
    i have kept a daily reading and daily average is about 22 kw per day for the last 2 weeks

Hi Skippey,

Our Appliance Calculator might come in useful for you also, if you are not already using it: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/appliance-calculators.jsp

Faulty wiring/appliance can use up more electricity than they would if they were functioning correctly - this is something to have checked by an electrician.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement