Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Study Guide, What do you think?

Options
  • 15-02-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Ok so my weakest subjects are Math and Irish should I put more time into them or what? What do you think of this study timetable is it balanced? I don't have many activities after school, i just run around with my friends, so here it is:

Monday History/English/French
    Tuesday Geography/Irish/English
    Wednesday Science/RE/CSPE
    Thursday Math/History/French
    Friday RE/English/Geography
    Saturday Maths/ Irish/ French/TG
    Sunday RE/Science/Irish

I plan to spend 5 hours in total on studying when I have no school and about 3 hours during school. Is this a good plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Ok so my weakest subjects are Math and Irish should I put more time into them or what? What do you think of this study timetable is it balanced? I don't have many activities after school, i just run around with my friends, so here it is:

Monday History/English/French
    Tuesday Geography/Irish/English
    Wednesday Science/RE/CSPE
    Thursday Math/History/French
    Friday RE/English/Geography
    Saturday Maths/ Irish/ French/TG
    Sunday RE/Science/Irish

I plan to spend 5 hours in total on studying when I have no school and about 3 hours during school. Is this a good plan?

My advice having done the Junior Cert last year would be:
    - Reduce your time down to 2.5 hours during school or 4 hours with no school. This will give you time for a decent break. Breaks are important especially if you find an element of a subject hard.
    - if you don't particularly enjoy a subject, don't do it last in a day. Do a subject you enjoy last, giving you something to look forward to. If you do a subject you don't enjoy last you will not study it to your full potential.
    Just my opinion and from my experience, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

My advice having done the Junior Cert last year would be:
    - Reduce your time down to 2.5 hours during school or 4 hours with no school. This will give you time for a decent break. Breaks are important especially if you find an element of a subject hard.
    - if you don't particularly enjoy a subject, don't do it last in a day. Do a subject you enjoy last, giving you something to look forward to. If you do a subject you don't enjoy last you will not study it to your full potential.
    Just my opinion and from my experience, hope it helps.

You're so right, i always save Irish till last. I think it's because my Irish teacher sucks and I don't have any reliable notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

I wouldn't bother studying for CSPE. It's not a Leaving Cert subject. I sometimes look at the book to take a rest from other subjects.

Also don't study for more than 45 minutes. After 45 minutes your brain stops taking the information in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Grian1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother studying for CSPE. It's not a Leaving Cert subject. I sometimes look at the book to take a rest from other subjects.

Also don't study for more than 45 minutes. After 45 minutes your brain stops taking the information in.
    45 minutes? That's not true, where did you hear that? Your brain doesn't work like that.

OP, Nobody can tell you how long you should study for. It's personal preference. It's important to take breaks though! Keep them short enough as well (approx 15 mins) because if you take too long you'll likely get distracted and forget about studying. Obviously if you plan to do something specific between a break, then time it according to that, e.g. watching a tv program for half an hour.

I personally hate timetables. I find them pointless and irritating to follow. I like to make a list of work to do, and work through it ticking it off as I do it. I take breaks between each subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    45 minutes? That's not true, where did you hear that? Your brain doesn't work like that.

OP, Nobody can tell you how long you should study for. It's personal preference. It's important to take breaks though! Keep them short enough as well (approx 15 mins) because if you take too long you'll likely get distracted and forget about studying. Obviously if you plan to do something specific between a break, then time it according to that, e.g. watching a tv program for half an hour.

I personally hate timetables. I find them pointless and irritating to follow. I like to make a list of work to do, and work through it ticking it off as I do it. I take breaks between each subject.

At first i thought i should study for 20 minutes after each homework i have for example, I do my English homework then spend 20 minutes studying for English. For some reason even if I have a 5 minute break I always end up extending it, i honestly work best when i just keep going on. I know breaks are good so i take my breaks after i have studied everything by sleeping. XD

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »

I meant at a time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

No it doesn't lol, I often do it for 3-4 hours at a time without breaks and I'm fine ;D

No it doesn't lol, I often do it for 3-4 hours at a time without breaks and I'm fine ;D

According to this you're not studying the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm doing my leaving cert and I'd be doing about 3 hours a night and 5hrs each day at the weekend. It's only the JC. Bring it down to 2hrs and 4 at the weekend.

Take regular breaks, I find 45min work to 15 min break works for me but everybody is different. I know some people who are machines and can just study for hours without breaks.

With your languages, don't be too focused on learning stuff off and instead master your verbs and increase your vocab.

I have some maths tips for you that I'll post later, my break is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

For some reason even if I have a 5 minute break I always end up extending it, i honestly work best when i just keep going on. I know breaks are good so i take my breaks after i have studied everything by sleeping. XD

This is kind of an example of how everyone's different and how one piece of advice doesn't suit all. I'm the same, I don't take breaks because I need to, I take them because studying is often tremendously boring and I'm sick of it, and five minutes always turns into ten which becomes fifteen and so on...like you I'm much more productive when sitting down for a few hours, doing it, and relaxing afterwards. On weekdays I just don't take breaks, on weekends though you'd be better off (I'm terrible at studying on weekends though so I need to take my own advice) doing your few hours or whatever and taking a loooong break, one that would be so long you wouldn't be tempted to extend it, and then doing another few hours before calling it a day. This is kind of advice for studying in general, might be more applicable for the LC as I genuinely don't believe it's necessary to do hours upon hours of work at weekends for the JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

i think this is a good plan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

Seems a very good study plan, my only advice is do all the homework you receive to the best of your ability. Don't just not do the homework and do some study instead, the homework is very important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

According to this you're not studying the right way.
    I got 6 A's so far and 3 B's, I might get an A in religion and probably a B in German

I think it works, works for me anyways!

Advertisement